Corrupted graphics in RTCW

Sharky Forums

Thread: Corrupted graphics in RTCW

Hammerhead Shark

Post Corrupted graphics in RTCW

I can't get this game to run. When I launch it, it takes me to the main screen that is graphically corrupet, with big squares overlapping each other in colours like brown, red and green. Running safe mode doesn't. I read in the readme that if you ran the game with Det. drivers 21.81 with the desktop set to 32bit colours, the game could crash to the desktop. So, I changed this and it worked. I changed some things in the options menu in the game, and it crashed to the desktop and I couldn't get it to work properly agin.

So I gave up the manufacturers drivers (Hercules 21.81) and tried Nvidia's reference drivers v. 23.11. Didn't worked that either, however I managed to launch the game succesfully twice. Can't seem to do that any longer, though. I'm not doing some special when it works, however the game seems to load longer after leaving the desktop view. And I think that the desktop colour was set to 32bit when it did work.

Any help, please?

------------------
    For those men and women whose lives were brutally taken away from them on the 11:th September 2001, may God bless you all
    Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors - Old african proverb

Tiger Shark

You need to post your specs.

To anyone posting help questions please post your specs so we dont have to ask for the specs.

To the mods maybe we need a faq and bump it every wk. to keep it at the top.

of course they would have to read it

Triton this is not directed at you per say. Just in general

back you the question if your running w2k or xp you can try going back a ver on the det. drivers.

Also as in all games disable all programs running in the back ground except for explorer.(thats windows)
    alt ctrl delete and end task on everything else.
    Make sure anti-virus is turned off and all that.
    Good luck let me know how you made at. Im getting ready to load the full ver. now. I been running the demo.

On yea have you been running the demo. If so you might want to uninstall the game and the demo if you had it. Then reinstall just the game. Just a thought.

------------------
    Main system
    • Abit kg7-r / xp 1600 / 512 ddr
    • Win98Se, w2k
    • All-in-wonder Radeon
    • 2 40 gig deskstar ata/100 raid 0
    • dvd drive
    • Plexwriter 12/10/32a
    • SBL 5.1
    • Sony 19"
    • dsl(o thank god)
    • Sony Handycam ccd-trv87
    • Linksys 10/100 Router into Kingston 8 port switch / netgear nic

[This message has been edited by op4_camper (edited December 25, 2001).]

Hammerhead Shark

Hehe, yes I'm sorry that I forgot to write my specs, I were so angry at this piece of junk (read: RTCW) when posting, so I forgot them. I excuse me, I know it's frustrating when you want to help and the person have forgotten his specs, I've experinced that myself. So, I'm sorry for that but here they are:

PIII 700/100
    256MB RAM
    Geforce 2 Ultra (Hercules) tried both Hercules' 21.81 and Nvidia's 23.11
    Windows XP Home Edition

And I've tried the demo, and everything worked fine, but it wasn't installed at the time I installed the full game.

------------------
    For those men and women whose lives were brutally taken away from them on the 11:th September 2001, may God bless you all

[This message has been edited by Triton (edited December 25, 2001).]

Hammerhead Shark

Update: Tried the 21.83 drivers from Nvidia, no succes.

------------------

Great White Shark Mandorallen of Molynnr's Avatar

Works fine for me in XP with the 23.13's and the 22.80's. Running at a desktop res of 1600x1200x32. Must be flipping irratating when something like that happens, especially with a totally excellent game like RTCW. Here's a link to the 22.80's, they've been proven time and again to be one of the best (by that I mean fastest AND most stable) series for the GF2 series.

http://www.warp2search.net/download....=getit&lid=111

Hopefully the link works.

------------------
    Duke of the OC Crusaders

System Specifications.

Sharky SETI@Home

Hammerhead Shark

I tried to disable my V2 card in the system manager, if the game tried to run the game with that card. When starting the game I got this: Mapmem driver initialization failure

However, that came up when trying to reach the display settings, so I don't know. However, it didn't helped the game.

I'll try the drivers, thanks MoM.

------------------

Hammerhead Shark

AAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHH, WHY CAN'T THIS PIECE OF CRAP WORK!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I had to get that out. Sigh, the 22.80 didn't worked either (thanks for the link, MoM, we tried), and I'm starting to think that this doesn't depend on the drivers, since the same problem occurs on all the driver versions.

I'm now back to my old 21.81 from Hercules. I wonder why the game has started correctly about 3 times, what was different at that time?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Triton (edited December 25, 2001).]

Hammerhead Shark

I solved it! I did a search and found this fine british site: http://www.rtcw.co.uk/forums/showthr...&threadid=1626

He didn't had the same setup as I've, but it worked for me as well. Man, this game seems to have some serious start- up problems. Thanks for your input people!

------------------

Great White Shark Mandorallen of Molynnr's Avatar

Excellent...great to see that you're good to go, enjoy the game.

------------------
    Duke of the OC Crusaders

System Specifications.

Sharky SETI@Home

Hammerhead Shark

Originally posted by Mandorallen of Molynnr:
    Excellent...great to see that you're good to go, enjoy the game.

Thanks, I will and thanks for for your input!

------------------

Tiger Shark

Im glad you got it working. I loaded mine and it work flawless. But I didnt want to come in here and say that intill yours was working. You didnt need to hear mine works.

Have fun

------------------
    Main system
    • Abit kg7-r / xp 1600 / 512 ddr
    • Win98Se, w2k
    • All-in-wonder Radeon
    • 2 40 gig deskstar ata/100 raid 0
    • dvd drive
    • Plexwriter 12/10/32a
    • SBL 5.1
    • Sony 19"
    • dsl(o thank god)
    • Sony Handycam ccd-trv87
    • Linksys 10/100 Router into Kingston 8 port switch / netgear nic

Hammerhead Shark

Originally posted by op4_camper:
    Im glad you got it working. I loaded mine and it work flawless. But I didnt want to come in here and say that intill yours was working. You didnt need to hear mine works.

Have fun

No, that wouldn't have been such a big problem, but yes I were furious a while, not getting this game to run. Enjoy the game op4_camper!

------------------