to fps or not to fps that is the question

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to fps or not to fps that is the question

Cool to fps or not to fps that is the question

I am not in any way an expert gamer. Just a long time player of fps style games. I have started way back... since I got my fingers on pong.. :P. I have watched games evolve and grow.
    I remember getting my sweaty fingers on a system called an atari. From there my life went down hill. To my first pc. An IBM, cost a whopping $5,000. This included the monochrome moniter and the exclusive 80886 pentium or was it... nevermind. I think of when I dicovered the bbs system and how my 14 bit external usr chugged happily(most old time gamers will know the importance of the bbs).
    From the earlist games such as RoTT to synergy... These 2 games were released priorer to or before anything iD released. There are 4 other games released quite some time before Doom, Wolfenstien or Quake. Synergy is now dead. non existant... like it never occured. This in part due to some other major releases that swamped it into the background and well it just disappeared. RoTT was a little more recieved.
    These few games I listed were the starting point of 3d shooters. They also are the basis and main format that most companies try to follow in hopes of making cash.
    Most people don't think they just assume that the pretty graphics will compensate for the lack of originality. In most cases this works and others it fails miserably...(sin, Johne Romero's "I cant even type the game name" ugh and a slew of others).
    The whole precept is that if we splash some nice things on it they will buy... looks at the game box of Alice and Giants.... looks at hexen cover...
    This does not cover the fact that most fps require brain dead thought pattern. Even with tactical fps this ideology is the same. Every so often some game will come out of the worm pile that will show thought and inovation.
    But this is a long time coming... I am waiting until, then I will be shelving Max payne into the shelve next to giants and john's romero's game... and some others...
    I will wait and buy and be bored.

------------------
    ]2 /-\ \/3 /\/

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.

Great minds discuss ideas;
    Average minds discuss events;
    Small minds discuss people
    Break the bones and the body will heal. Break the spirit and the body will die."

Thumbs down

I agree with most of what you said but you have to give giants some credit..They did try some new things; ie the base building. And you can tell thought was put into the storyline and the cutscenes were well over the top.

Agreed it wasnt the greatest game of all time but at least they tried to break away from the, "run through the corridors and blast" mentality

------------------
    What no witty quote proclaiming my vast intellegance to the boards?

1.0 Tbird
    Elsa Gladic Pro
    SB live Plat
    yada, yada, yada,
    My Pc is fast enough to
    allow me to frag your ***
    in Unreal. And thats all that Matters

Originally posted by Recon:
    I agree with most of what you said but you have to give giants some credit..They did try some new things; ie the base building. And you can tell thought was put into the storyline and the cutscenes were well over the top.

Agreed it wasnt the greatest game of all time but at least they tried to break away from the, "run through the corridors and blast" mentality
    The problem I had with giants is that most of the ideas are borrowed. Bases... 4 races... starcraft ring a bell? how about ... warcraft... and numerous others. Run and shoot through the corridors.. run through various levels and kill of your oppents meccs, kabutos, etc etc etc.... been there done that...

------------------
    ]2 /-\ \/3 /\/

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.

Break the bones and the body will heal. Break the spirit and the body will die."

Catfish

Originally posted by Ra\/eN:
    From the earlist games such as RoTT to synergy... These 2 games were released priorer to or before anything iD released.
    I am also no expert, but if by RoTT you mean Rise of the Triad (and I'm fairly sure you do), you are way off in this statement. RoTT was released after both Wolfenstein and Doom. I quote the 3DRealms website: "Originally released December 21, 1994." Their site also includes a quote from a review with multiple comparisons to Doom, which I believe was released much earlier in 1994, or even earlier than that.

Needless to say, Wolf 3D was released even EARLIER, like 1990 or something. Where did you get your information?

------------------
    Deus ex machina: My rig
    Deus ex machina: My rig

The problem I had with giants is that most of the ideas are borrowed. Bases... 4 races... starcraft ring a bell? how about ... warcraft... and numerous others. Run and shoot through the corridors.. run through various levels and kill of your oppents meccs, kabutos, etc etc etc.... been there done that...

Yes I agree but borrowed ideas mixed in a new way create a new thing right. I dont remember Starcraft and WC being third person..although before you hit me on the head with it there was that battle tech or whatever that tank game was named that had a 3rd person base building idea.

------------------
    What no witty quote proclaiming my vast intellegance to the boards?

1.0 Tbird
    Elsa Gladic Pro
    SB live Plat
    yada, yada, yada,
    My Pc is fast enough to
    allow me to frag your ***
    in Unreal. And thats all that Matters

Talking

bring on the gamecube!!!

------------------
    <A HREF="http://www.harapan.co.jp/english/JPImage_e/tanuki.htm" TARGET=_blank> "You can see Tanuki utilizes his balls as parachute for desperate suicide attack and a big treasure ship to send out those Tanuki who can't disguise as human-being..."
    -http://www.harapan.co.jp/english/JPImage_e/tanuki.htm</A>

[This message has been edited by Kero-chan (edited August 06, 2001).]
    Batou's evil twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Citizen View Post
    im a homosexual but i disliike obama for his non-*** policies
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    I'm happy for you. Why don't you go pick up a case of AIDS.

Sleeps with the Fishes

*me putting corny commercial dudes voice*
    Tired of playing the same old blow em away first/third person shooters?Here is your saviour,3 games that should make your brain work more then a quantum physics equation.
    No One Lives Forever,youll get to play a 60s super spy and do some very groovy things.
    Deus Ex,youlll play a futuristic agent cought in the mist of a huge conspiracy.
    Hitman:Codename 47,ever wanted to see whats its like to whack someone?Well nows your chance,strangle em slit thier throats but DONT WAKE UP THE WHOLE NEIGHBOORHOOD.

Download the demos today and try em out for yourself.
    Or just go to your local best buy or COMPUSA and purchase these beauties.

Hehe hope you liked my little think shooter comercial there.

------------------
    Hardware specs:
    750mhz Duron
    MSI K7T Pro2-A
    64mb pc100 Hyundai RAM
    64mb pc133 Micron RAM (both running at CAS2 133mhz)
    8X4X32 Phillips PCRW804 CD-RW
    20GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM ATA-100 HD
    VisionTek Geforce3
    Sound:Integrated audio(yeah I know but I dont care still sounds good to me)
    Logitech Ifeel Optical mouse(real fun with games that support it)
    Altec Lansing ACS33 speakers and one subwoofer
    Keyboard:Cheap POS OEM(who cares it works fine for me)
    Phillips 107S 17" monitor

[This message has been edited by Ganja (edited August 06, 2001).]

Originally posted by Ganja:
    *me putting corny commercial dudes voice*
    Tired of playing the same old blow em away first/third person shooters?Here is your saviour,3 games that should make your braind work more then a quantum physics equation.
    No One Lives Forever,youll get to play a 60s super spy and do some very groovy things.
    Deux Ex,youlll play a futuristic agent cought in the mist of a huge conspiracy.
    Hitman:Codename 47,ever wanted to see whats its like to whack someone?Well nows your chance,strangle em slit thier throats but DONT WAKE UP THE WHOLE NEIGHBOORHOOD.

Download the demos today and try em out for yourself.
    Or just go to your local best buy or COMPUSA and purchase these beauties.

Hehe hope you liked my little think shooter comercial there.

i've tried deusex and NOLF... i did like nolf above most other fps i've played, but i'm just tired of those games altogether
    i still dont see what was so great about deusex except the computer hacking... sorta reminded me of shadowrun(snes) only not quite as cool .
    anyways, that's just my $.02

------------------
    <A HREF="http://www.harapan.co.jp/english/JPImage_e/tanuki.htm" TARGET=_blank> "You can see Tanuki utilizes his balls as parachute for desperate suicide attack and a big treasure ship to send out those Tanuki who can't disguise as human-being..."

[This message has been edited by Kero-chan (edited August 06, 2001).]
    Batou's evil twin

Cool

Originally posted by HaqDiesel:
    Where did you get your information?
    This is not a flame war merely a suggestive thought process. I get my info from everywhere and the games I do own. I care not of who was 1st, read my statement. What I care of is the stagnent state of games these days.... specifically 1st fps.... So before you get all huffy and disjointed. Take a look and clearly read my statement.

------------------
    ]2 /-\ \/3 /\/

Originally posted by Kero-chan:
    i've tried deusex and NOLF... i did like nolf above most other fps i've played, but i'm just tired of those games altogether
    i still dont see what was so great about deusex except the computer hacking... sorta reminded me of shadowrun(snes) only not quite as cool .
    anyways, that's just my $.02

Deus ex is my favorite game. i dont understand waht's so great abut the compujter hacking!?! i liked the game because it's fairly unique(there aren't many RPG/FPS combos) and its good story line(for a game at least). it's not like one of those RPGs with a gay and cliched fantasy/medievil time settings, i hate those.

------------------
    So easy to use, no wonder it's number one!!!
    Where do you want to go today?
    Member of NT Jocks
    Tesla coils are not weapons

[This message has been edited by dighn (edited August 07, 2001).]

Smile

Originally posted by dighn:
    Deus ex is my favorite game. i dont understand waht's so great abut the compujter hacking!?! i liked the game because it's fairly unique(there aren't many RPG/FPS combos) and its good story line(for a game at least). it's not like one of those RPGs with a gay and cliched fantasy/medievil time settings, i hate those.

well, the hacking thing just reminded me of the shadowrun game for snes which had to be one of my favorite games so i guess it was a nostalgia thing, except shadowrun was cooler because you had to walk around and you could get hurt inside the matrix or whatever... anyways, the point is it was more than just pumping up a skill. but it was cool in deusex because you could find out extra stuff and steal creds

about the fantasy thing: i hope you're not talking about any of the final fantasy series because i'll be forced to stab you in the jugular with a spork!! j/k

------------------
    Batou's evil twin

Originally posted by Kero-chan:
    well, the hacking thing just reminded me of the shadowrun game for snes which had to be one of my favorite games so i guess it was a nostalgia thing, except shadowrun was cooler because you had to walk around and you could get hurt inside the matrix or whatever... anyways, the point is it was more than just pumping up a skill. but it was cool in deusex because you could find out extra stuff and steal creds

about the fantasy thing: i hope you're not talking about any of the final fantasy series because i'll be forced to stab you in the jugular with a spork!! j/k

no i'm not talking about those cuz I never played any of the FF fantasy

------------------
    So easy to use, no wonder it's number one!!!
    Where do you want to go today?
    Member of NT Jocks
    Tesla coils are not weapons

oh, like baulders gate and crap?

i downloaded the BG2 demo yesterday (thank god for broadband, that **** was 650mb!)

uh... well, i'm just not impressed. i really hope NWN is A LOT better than BG2...
    BG2 is yet another game on pc that imo sucks... gamecube just cant come fast enough!
    i wonder why i even got a radeonAIW... i could have got a matrox g400 and a tv-wonder. i've played UT like 3 times in 2 months and that's about the only game i've played on my pc for quite a while(asside from *cough* roms)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kero-chan (edited August 07, 2001).]
    Batou's evil twin

Exclamation

Don't even get me started on rpg'zzzz

------------------
    ]2 /-\ \/3 /\/

Sleeps with the Fishes

Don't even get me started on rpg'zzzz

I know I hate RPGs too lol.
    But for reel If you havent tried any of the games I mentioned you should try them dude,I luved them maybe youll like em.

------------------
    Hardware specs:
    750mhz Duron
    MSI K7T Pro2-A
    64mb pc100 Hyundai RAM
    64mb pc133 Micron RAM (both running at CAS2 133mhz)
    8X4X32 Phillips PCRW804 CD-RW
    20GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM ATA-100 HD
    VisionTek Geforce3
    Sound:Integrated audio(yeah I know but I dont care still sounds good to me)
    Logitech Ifeel Optical mouse(real fun with games that support it)
    Altec Lansing ACS33 speakers and one subwoofer
    Keyboard:Cheap POS OEM(who cares it works fine for me)
    Phillips 107S 17" monitor