Win2k and Direct X

Sharky Forums

Thread: Win2k and Direct X

Sushi

Question Win2k and Direct X

Does Windows 2000 server have DirectX support like Professional? I keep getting conflicting information.

I know Advanced Server comes with Dx7a built in. and I'm pretty sure it'll install 8.0 without a hitch because my father did it this week on his notebook runnin Win2k Advanced Server.

------------------
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    P3-550e@733Mhz
    256MB PC-133 CL3 RAM
    Elsa Gladiac GeForce2 GTS
    40+ Gig's of combined HD
    CD-RW 8/4/32X
    DVD w/ Hollywood RealMagic DVD Decoder
    19" MAG DJ800 monitor
    Tornado 1000 case
    **Win2k Prof / Win2k Adv Server / Whistler Beta-1 Build 2296**

Hammerhead Shark

Win2k on a notebook? Eh .. oki ...
    Get UniTuner here

I am only running the Win 2k Professional version, but Win 2k on a laptop rocks. My system is much better than with 98, especially the power management and better crash resistance.

I response to the original question, I think all versions of Win 2k support DirectX.

Yeah don't get me wrong, my father has 256MB of RAM on his laptop, it's by no means your run-of-the-mill laptop, heheh. He's a business man, what do you expect? The processor is only a P2-366Mhz, but it's more than enough really. As I've enforced on previous threads, Win2k doesn't need fast processors, only a hefty amount of memory. I've run Advanced Server on a P-166, no problemo. Just boots up kinda slow!

------------------
    P3-550e@733Mhz
    256MB PC-133 CL3 RAM
    Elsa Gladiac GeForce2 GTS
    40+ Gig's of combined HD
    CD-RW 8/4/32X
    DVD w/ Hollywood RealMagic DVD Decoder
    19" MAG DJ800 monitor
    Tornado 1000 case
    **Win2k Prof / Win2k Adv Server / Whistler Beta-1 Build 2296**

Windows 2000 works great on laptops. NT used to be a bit of a pain. NT's PCMCIA support wasn't the greatest -- you could pretty much forget about making PCMCIA SCSI work consistently. And 2000 supports multiple networking profiles, so you don't have to reconfigure your network settings every time you travel to a different site.

At work, we have Windows 2000 Advanced Server on a number of laptops because we use the machines to demo our SQL-based software to customers, and it runs just as well as Windows 2000 Professional.

Hammerhead Shark

I just don't get why one should use the advanced server version on a laptop? Advanced server doesn't give you any advantages over professional unless you're running a server (hence the name), which I don't think a laptop is the most suited machine for.
    Get UniTuner here

You'd be surprised. My Dad's been known to act as a DHCP server for over 3000 clients on his little laptop, lol!! Worked wonderfully too, no one noticed the difference.

In realith though you're right, the laptop aint gonna be a server...but it's just nice to have the options there in case you wanna "play." Think of it like this, when you install Quicktime, do you want "typical" or "deluxe!" Even if you don't use the advanced options and such, it's nice to have em there in case you feel so inclined to play with them. Why get a trimmed down version of Win2k when you can have the fullboat?

Tiger Shark

I guess that is the argument that seperates computer users. Some like to have everything and anything standing by "just in case". Then there are people like me that only want what I know I am going to use cause I don't like useless cludder. I can always add anything I decide I need later anyway. Probably why I don't like using windows for servers too, I don't see the point in having a gui or other useless stuff taking up processor power and ram when the box is sitting in a closed rack mount closet all its life with only a 13 inch monitor incase the networking goes to hell.

Originally posted by Grizzly:
    You'd be surprised. My Dad's been known to act as a DHCP server for over 3000 clients on his little laptop, lol!! Worked wonderfully too, no one noticed the difference.

In realith though you're right, the laptop aint gonna be a server...but it's just nice to have the options there in case you wanna "play." Think of it like this, when you install Quicktime, do you want "typical" or "deluxe!" Even if you don't use the advanced options and such, it's nice to have em there in case you feel so inclined to play with them. Why get a trimmed down version of Win2k when you can have the fullboat?

------------------
    My box said "WindowsME/2000 or better" so I installed Linux.

Hammerhead Shark

Originally posted by Grizzly:

One reason to go for the trimmed down version of win2k is that it's much cheaper (if you actually pay that is (someone arguing "why get the trimmed down version" probably don't pay for it or have a lot of money I guess ... ))
    Get UniTuner here