Well,
Due to quite a few recent emails, i think it might be a good idea if we list some good ideas and practices that would help trades go smooth, while reducing the chance for problems.

Feel free to respond to this with some constructive ideas about how to avoid problems.

NOTE: do not use this thread for conversation.

Here are some tips for trading

Before the sale.
1: Be honest and sincere. If your item has a missing part, state that in the item description.

2: Post prices with your items. If you are unsure of the price, ask for a price check. Without prices, people tend to start "bidding" on items. While this often will lead to selling for a few bucks more, it leads one or more parties upset after the trade. In order to help keep things running smooth and to stop problems from forming, "bidding" is being avoided.

4: Keep up to date with your threads. If an item is sold, please edit the thread and let people know.

AFTER the sale.
3: Obtain a mailing address for the other party. Personally, i request references and a phone number as well. This helps me not get ripped off. A phone number is nice to call and validate that you are talking to a real person. References are a good way to see how a person has performed in the past. Do not feel bad about e-mailing a reference and asking a few questions. Most people are more than happy to help.

4: Make sure that you ship your item using good packaging. Some people have shipped parts in anything from an envelope, to a gym sock. That would be a "no, no".

5: Anti static wrap and soft packing materials (peanuts, bubble wrap, etc.) are essential to helping your electronics survive the journey. While the post office or UPS may take great care of the box, you always have to plan for the worse.

6: Maintain communication. Its really bad when you send your item off and the other party never replies to you. Granted, you might get the item, but there are still a few days where your unsure of what is going on. To avoid this, try and maintain good communication. If you have to ship an item late, or some emergency came up, just keep the other person informed. Most of the time, people are understanding and just want to be kept in the loop.

If a trade goes bad:
7: First and foremost, do *NOT* post any ridicule and derogatory comments. In most cases, trades that are thought to have gone bad are quite simply the result of a lack in communication. There is no point in ruining someone's reputation over a lack of communication.

8: Personally, i would suggest giving the person at least a week to reply to any e-mail before even concidering taking any further action.

9: Taking further action. Well, i will not say what to do here, as it is not my call. There are a few place you have the option to contact though. First, the internet fraud and complaint center. This is a national agency specializing ininternet related, white collar crimes. http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

Second, the local postmaster. If you use USPS, you can always try talking to the postmaster and see how you can solve the situation. I do not know how UPS or Fedex does things. You might be able to talk to them as well.

If all else fails and you lost enough money, you can always try our court system, but realize that it imposes some serious penalties to the other party. I'd resort to this, only if forced to. In most cases, people will come through if you simply talk to them. It is only when they have lost everything that they tend to not care. (IE you post a thread with their name and info calling them a troll, so they the feel its pointless to repair the situation now since their rep is ruined, anyhow.)

Keep in mind that all of these are only suggestions and nothing from this thread is forced. I was just receiving a large number of e-mails about this exact topic, and felt it easier to post one thread.

Please feel free to add any constructive comments or ideas.