Suggestions about Good trading practices and how to avoid problems. - Page 3

Sharky Forums

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions about Good trading practices and how to avoid problems.

Originally posted by number1sixerfan
    I was ripped of unfortunately and I had a question. It is pretty much my fault that I got ripped off. But why don't forums require more information for membership? Like phone number, address, etc.(I know people can still just lie about it)? Or at least have those required for those who will trade. Forgive me,might be a stupid idea. I'm just mad at myself and the bastard who ripped me off. I'm usually not that careful around here because I've never seen anyone get ripped off on these forums.
    You've hit the nail on the head with personal information really, ignoring all other issues no-one here can really verify the information for each person registering. Incidentally, having been ripped off myself before, I do know exactly how you feel.

eBay and heatware references seem to be the best way to verify people.

John

Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, Noctua NH D15 Cromax, Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR 3200Mhz, Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB, 4TB SSD/26TB HDD. Fractal Design R6, Corsair RM850X
    Rocinante - Intel i7 8750H, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, 2.2TB SSD, Alienware M15 R1

I am only 16 years old and so I wouldn't have a Pay Pal or Credit Card account....so will people still trade with ppl that can only give $ through money mail orders?
    Primary Rig
    Dell Latitude D820 || Intel Core Duo T2300E @ 1.66ghz || 1024mb PC5400 Ram || Nvidia Quadro NVS m110 256mb (Geforce Go 7300) || 80 GB 5400 RPM HD || DVD-RW Combo Drive || 15.4" WXGA Screen

Secondary Rig
    AMD Athlon 64 3300+ @ 2.64 Ghz || 768 mb PC3200 DDR Ram || Biostar Nforce 4 Socket 754 || ATI Radeon X850 Pro 256mb @ 580 core/1200 mem|| Western Digital 160 GB 7200 HD || 48x DVD-RW

Originally posted by nanokooshball
    I am only 16 years old and so I wouldn't have a Pay Pal or Credit Card account....so will people still trade with ppl that can only give $ through money mail orders?
    They should, start a Heatware accnt and make good sales. Just never lie to people and give them what they pay for and you should be set.
    May have some weary ppl at first with no refrances but once you get a couple good sales it will be all good.
    heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=23634

Im not sure if this is exactly the right thread. Though its close enough and probably better than creating a new thread.

WTB = Where to Buy? a request for offers on the product?

edit: looked over some more threads and im convinced its where to buy.
    Last edited by Mancora; 09-01-2004 at 04:46 PM.

Originally posted by Mancora
    Im not sure if this is exactly the right thread. Though its close enough and probably better than creating a new thread.

WTB = Where to Buy? a request for offers on the product?

edit: looked over some more threads and im convinced its where to buy.
    I thought it's more of "Want to Buy".

Yes that sounds much better

Let me do a quick check on the others

PC = Price Check
    FS = For Sale
    FT = For Trade

Originally posted by Mancora
    Yes that sounds much better

Let me do a quick check on the others

PC = Price Check
    FS = For Sale
    FT = For Trade
    Yup. That's correct.

Why are the trading tips numbered 1, 2, 4?

Originally posted by nanokooshball
    im a MO person too. when i first started I only traded with people with good heat and I sent money first. Then once i started to build up heat what I do is send half the money, when I receive product I send other half. So if i get ripped by someone w/o heat ill only lose half the money.
    no case
    antec 350
    ABIT AN7
    Athlon xp mobile 2500+ 12x200 1.719
    zalman 90mm flower ripoff
    512MB KHX PC3500 BH5
    BBA 9800np w/ vga silencer 400/300 for games 420/320 benchmarking
    Sharky's Extreme 3DMark Team

Goldfish
    1. A phone call is good. A phone call is great. Give out your number, it isn't like all the telemarketers already don't have it
    2. As a seller, if you got a digital camera, is take snapshot of the item and post it up on a website. If you can...put yourself in it
    3. As a seller...SHIP IT FAST. Nothing sucks more than sending your money and waiting for it to be shipped.
    4. As a buyer...be patient. We are still waiting on our wedding DVD...it has been a year. They are still working on it. However, we have gotten some money back and they are close to finishing it (actually saw it). However, I never once yelled and always kept a nice tone. Even if the deal goes sour, at least you can see "I was the bigger person". And that is something you can teach to your children The gods of karma always get their way....

-tReP

go by treps post

A PHONE CALL IS A MUST!

o, and trep recieves an A++++++++ 110% for a video card i bought from him. arrived next day after payment! Great guy
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5ghz
    Zalman CNPS9900 MAX
    Gigabyte z68ap-d3
    MSI 7950 Twin Frozr 3
    8gb samsung green low profile 1.35v
    Antec High Current Gamer 620watt
    Samsung 840 250gb SSD
    Fractal Design R4 windowed black pearl
    HP 2711x
    SteelSeries Siberia V2 headset, qck mini, G510, G400

Expensive Sushi
    I think both buyer and sellers should find a smooth negotiation platform at a "comfort zone" and frame a mutually accepted business policy to build up the relationship, I think this is the best way to establish the good trading practice and to avoid problems and inner conflict. Both should follow the business ethics and the integrity as to protect each others right under a mutually accepted business policy.

Paypal is perfectly fine to use, but you have to follow their regulations like everyones such as shipping/payments to/from verified addresses, ive used paypal for years and never had a problem

Tiger Shark
    As an aside, read in the Sunday paper re: arrest of 17yr old Fl teen who got busted for selling stuff he didnt have. He was on another forum and I'd rescinded an offer....imagine my chagrin to see him in the news! So I did a "Letterman" style of 10 reasons to rescind an offer in thread, copied it here...

TOP TEN REASONS TO RECONSIDER TRADING

10---subtle sense of reservations ---(trust your instincts always)
    9---tis the season--- (proven fact that proximity to holiday season brings dramatic increase in fraud/theft etc)
    8---seller not willing to ship first, or even negotiate shipping first or similar compromise ---(cut and run to ...)
    7---high value item priced almost too low (even seasoned pro's fall for greed: half price on THAT?!)
    6---not forthcoming with info/ph#/physical address/real name, NO compromises or negotiations, disregards YOUR many good refs ---(transparency and willingness to compromise always a positive indication, also respect is NOT something a con expresses for his mark)
    5---often plays coy, feigns ignorance of commonly accepted and widely held practises --(certainly established trader familiar with "ship first" and other buyer protections. An ethical noobie seller is APPRECIATIVE when ya give him tips/suggestions. Con takes offense...)
    4---none or very few current refs ---(>20 refs within past 6 months, CHECK HIS EVALUATORS too- MANY fill out their own fake refs. Should have SOME high value sales, beware if all values BLANK, or all his evals are from total noobs/0 post counts )
    3---I've never been taken before, would like to maintain that, and I ALWAYS do a search for sellers other posts to get broader overall perspective, I also google his real name, etc---(if its too good to be true, IT USUALLY IS. Good trader wont hurry you)
    2---grammar/spelling and contextual faux pas'-- (we've all seen the hasty, poorly written text. A real tipoff seller doesn't even have the BOX )
    1---Decided to stay with AGP one more gen.--- (The upgrade itch, "clock envy", hottest/latest parts and a desire to get the killer deal, often brings down even the veterans guard. It will be cheaper next week, next month!)
    This is a "top ten" reasons reminder to be watchful, and turn in the miscreants. I only raise the issue, read in Orlando Sentinel today, because of some traders vigilance, a winter park teen was arrested yesterday on a scheme where he had sold over $400,000 of items he didnt have, from his parents house. The victims were worldwide, and numbered in the many hundreds. It happens everyday to all kinds of folks. I work too hard for my money that I'm not about to be parted from it by a not-so-smooth-talking purveyor of any kind confidence scheme. Just a humorous ( well, I tried to make it humorous, SORRY!) heads up on the clues to be more vigilant. And turn in them bad traders! It CAN result in some degree of justice. Be careful out there! Feel free to copy/repost my top ten...
    EMAIL preferred >timo1stATyahooDOTcom<PM only if neccesary

What does yhpm stand for? you have a personal message?
    Last edited by joeshmofro; 01-25-2007 at 05:17 AM.
    / __| ||...|| |.\ \ ||./ __|
    \__ \ ||__|| | |\ \ | \__ \
    \___/ \___/ | | .\_| \___/
    ------------------------------------------

Heatware
    Ebay