USB 2.0 or Firewire.Which will be the standard.

Sharky Forums

View Poll Results: USB 2.0 or Firewire. Which will be the standard?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • USB 2.0

18 56.25%
  • Firewire IEE1394

7 21.88%
  • Both will be equally used.

5 15.63%
  • Neither.

2 6.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB 2.0 or Firewire.Which will be the standard.

USB 2.0 or Firewire.Which will be the standard.

Personally I feel USB 2. Its faster than firewire + is already compatible (backwards) with most computers out there today.What do you think and if you respond to the thread, why?
    Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead.
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    -Mahatma Gandhi
    Proud supporter of the NT kernel
    Play with Gadgets and Gizmos

Reef Shark
    well Firewire is a standard, hense the IEEE. But i think USB 2 will be the popular choice out there for 3 reasons.

1) it's faster
    2)it's backward compatible with all previous USB devices
    but the biggest reasons
    2) Intel will back USB 2 more... like it or not big companys like Intel and Microsoft, what they say alot of times goes...

NOTE: I think Firewire may be adopted more to video market, used on cameras and such and video editing. but most other devices moving to USB2 (printers, scanners, etc.)
    "A mathematician is a blind man in a dark
    room looking for a black cat which isn't
    there."

Hammerhead Shark
    IEEE 1394 Firewire. It's a mature, tested and proven interface that, from what i've read, has a lot of room to grow. The next level for the standard will push it so far ahead of USB 2.0 we'll be saying USB 2.0 who?

On the other hand, i've read that with the release of USB 2.0 that the USB interface has smacked it's head firmly on it's ceiling. No more bandwidth/speed increases there.

Sleeps with the Fishes
    Err I choose Firewire for both but I think that wont happen so I sorta say both. USB upgrades its speed too d@mn slow while FireWire doubles every 1-2 years. Takes USB 4 years + to do that. I think USB will be around for 5 more years or so but in the end FireWire is way better and more expandable then USB...at least from what we know. USB makers never tell us how far or what grounds they are breaking until it has already been released to the public.

USB = Slow

Firewire = Hella fast and expandable (already can reach 800Mbps and this year 1.6Gbps is coming out...PCGamer said next is 3.2Gbps)

Cool usb

usb 2.0>480megs per.

not that slow, but slower than firewire.

problem is, lots o people have USB, most of the boards that have been produced in the last four years or so have/come with USB, can't say that about firewire, yet.

so, i will live with the USB for now. hell, i use the usb pclinq connect for when i am troubleshooting systems on the road and need to get data off and on to my laptop prior to a reload/repair.

i wonder, maybe with the usb 2.0, video editing can become a no dropped frames option???

baldy
    I am gettin too old for all this st.ff!

Specs? it runs.................

Tbird quotes:

"I dont care that much for gaming"
    "I am done with 3dmark."

AsRock 970 Extreme4,Vishera 8320 @4.6, Vertex 4 256GB SataIII SSD, 2xVelociraptor 600GB 10,000 spinner in raid 0 storage....16g Gskill DDR3 2133 @2292, ATI 6850, back on huge air (quiet)....HP Laptop redone OS (ie, no HP krud), AMD Phenom II N620, 8gig DDR3 1333 ram, Sanddisk SataII 120GB SSD, Toshiba 500GB 7200 spinner...

Originally posted by bigdog77s
    well Firewire is a standard, hense the IEEE. But i think USB 2 will be the popular choice out there for 3 reasons.

1) it's faster
    2)it's backward compatible with all previous USB devices
    but the biggest reasons
    2) Intel will back USB 2 more... like it or not big companys like Intel and Microsoft, what they say alot of times goes...

NOTE: I think Firewire may be adopted more to video market, used on cameras and such and video editing. but most other devices moving to USB2 (printers, scanners, etc.)
    They're all standards, I was just asking on what would be the standard for everyone. I mean rs-232 is a standard, but I don't use it.
    Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead.
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    -Mahatma Gandhi
    Proud supporter of the NT kernel
    Play with Gadgets and Gizmos

Hammerhead Shark
    Originally posted by dudephil
    They're all standards, I was just asking on what would be the standard for everyone. I mean rs-232 is a standard, but I don't use it.
    One of the main selling points for my motherboard was the USB 2.0 controller. While I wish there was more support, right now Firewire is ahead.

Firewire on the Mac has unheard of stability and compatibility. As well, the entire DV Camera market uses Firewire. No USB whatsoever. However, Digital Cameras use USB 1.1 for the most part. It will probably stay that way. USB will serve it's purposes, but for high stream, high bandwidth, and high risk operations, I believe Firewire will still be ahead.
    P4 Northwood 1.6A @ 2.22 Ghz
    Gigabyte 8IRXP
    512mb OCZ PC2700
    Antec SX1040B (Black)
    330watt Enermax PSU
    Gainward GS Gf3 Ti200 (245/515)
    60GB Maxtor 7200RPM D740X "Quiet Drive"
    20GB Western Digital 7200 RPM
    Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo 2
    Pioneer 8x DVD Slot
    Liteon 16x10x40 CDRW (awesome drive, owns CD protection)
    IBM P201 20" Trinitron

I would have to say USB 2 because it's backwards compatible with USB 1 devices and it's also faster than Firewire.

I would have to say both because USB is better for most people because
    it is usually is on-board and people don't have to buy anything extra to use USB devices. On the otherhand Firewire is very popular for the Digital Camera market because of its speed and reliablity.

From what I understand USB 2.0 is supposed to be as fast as firewire, as far as reaching its ceiling things like that can change very quickly. Right now they may think it has reached its ceiling but as technology changes the ceiling may rise.

usb

its more well known

more perephials (sp) have it

its backward compat.

comes onboard mobos

etc

I say usb 2.
    AMD XP3200---INTEL P4 3200

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Hail bunny!

Smile

I thought that Microsoft announced a few months ago that it would not support USB 2.0, but rather would be throwing in with Firewire. Hmmmm. Don't know--Actually I like both!
    So much to learn
    In so little time!

I think both will be supported but USB 2.0 will be more of a standard since its backwards compatible and faster not to mention its more popular.

Smile Re: USB 2.0 or Firewire.Which will be the standard.

Originally posted by dudephil
    Personally I feel USB 2. Its faster than firewire + is already compatible (backwards) with most computers out there today.What do you think and if you respond to the thread, why?
    :rolleyes:

I just got my new mobo.came with 4 USB 2 ports.
    it's the Intel D850MVSE.

Don't run with scissors!! TheUltimateNewbie's Avatar
    Niether. There will probably be a newer, faster connection in future computers.