Comp wont start-help please!

Sharky Forums

Thread: Comp wont start-help please!

Comp wont start-help please!

first of all, thanks to all who helped me in my last post. iwas able to connect my HD to my dads comp and save my info. i then formatted and reinstalled windows, removed my HD and got my info back from my dads comp. i plugged my HD back in and tried to start up and it checks the RAM and then stops. it wont load windows and doesnt make the little beep that i makes after checking the RAM.please help
    Thanx
    Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    The biggest source of computer problems is computer solutions.

let me add that i cannot get into the BIOS either. i have a Compaq deskpro 4000. i cant get into the BIOS no matter what i do. can i insatll a new BIOS? i have checked and triple checked every single connection in the CPU. nothing helps. please help <sob>
    Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

I would reformat on your machine and load the OS. Then get the info from dads machine.

no can do. like i said i cant past the RAM checking stage. anyway i fired up the comp and it was working fine until i took it out again and put my info from my dads comp. now it wont start. what to do???

Couple of things to try.

Remove and reseat all the memory chips and possibly the processor.

If this doesnt work (If you have more than 1 mem chip) try removing all the extras so that only one slot is occupied. Try changing the chip that is occupying slot 0. Could be a problem with a mem chip.

Though to be honest if it is freezing that early in the boot process I would put it down to a problem with either the processor or the mother board.

ok ill try that. only prob is i dont know where the processor is. it is one of the old ones that is flat and not a tower. any idea where i should look?? thanks

Hammerhead Shark
    Originally posted by FA-Q
    I would reformat on your machine and load the OS. Then get the info from dads machine.
    I would follow this advice.

Install your HDD in YOUR machine. Reformat and reinstall the OS. Once your machine is up and stable, then get the data from your dad's machine.

I CANNOT GET PAST THE RAM CHECKING STAGE. but what i can do i put my HDD in my dads comp again and reformat from his comp reinstall windows from his comp and when windows asks me for an installation directory, tell it to put it on my HDD. would this work? but i dont think that it is a prob with windows cuz i DID manage to start it up and put a few programs on. when i took the HDD out of my comp and connected it to my dads comp got my info and pluged it back in it doesnt get past the RAM checking stage. personally i want to throw this comp out the window, but its not mine and its all i have, so PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help me fix it.
    Thanks

With the HD out of the compaq, check the BIOS settings. You may have a manual setting, etc in the IDE that is preventing the computer from posting. Turn everything to auto for the IDE to be safe.

Copying the win98 CD to your HD should get you started on your Compaq if you have a boot disk or CD.

Just to check, do you POST when the HD is out of the Compaq or do you still freeze/stall ?

If the problem still happens, test or remove your other hardware until it does. If your gut tells you its the memory, try changing slots or removing extra sticks.

I have had to install Win98 on another machine before and transfer the drive over to the original computer to get things working. Just make sure to unplug pops drive so you do not change anything on his machine.

SS_T-Dog

i cant get into the BIOS. there is nothing that says "press xxx to enter setup" i have tried every key and nothing happens. i am going to try to install windows from a different comp cuz my dads comp doesnt have enough spare IDE channels for two HDD and a CD drive. even if i dont have the HDD in the comp and i start it up the comp checks the RAM and stops. i actually did that once and i think that might be why it wont start. how can i get into the BIOS? or how can i install a new one or something?
    thanks

Arrow

No POST usualy means no HDD connection at all, but have you checked to see if the power supply fan is spinning when power is applied? Check and see if the voltage selection switch on power supply has the correct setting too.
    COL 3:17-

I saw this same thing last week. You probably need to clear the CMOS. You can do this with jumpers on the mobo if can determine which jumper it is or you can simply remove the battery from the board and wait a few min (10-15) and reinstall it. Look at the mobo carefully and determine the brand and model. Go to the board manufactures site and download the manual for the board if you don't have one. I doubt that you do since Compaq thinks we are all idiots and shouldn't have such information. Anyway the manual will show you which jumper to switch to clear cmos. There you will also find any BIOS updates for your board. Make sure you absolutely understand what you are doing before you flash your bios. It is easy and works almost every time but if it goes wrong you can have a real problem.

Tiger Shark
    If it's Windows 9x/ME, format the drive in your dad's comp:

From thev DOS prompt, format x:/s (where x is your drive),

or write click on your drive in windows, click on format->copy system files only.

Then make a folder called win9x. Copy the cab files directory to it (should be win98 or win9x (ME)).

Should be able to put the drive back in your computer and start it. It should boot to the C:\> prompt. You type:

cd win9x <enter>
    setup <enter>

that should start the windows install off the hdd.

I believe the key is F10 to get into the bios on a Compaq. At least it is on all the ones where I work (all Pentiums).
    My Home Page
    Allpar: gene - neonexpres
    dpreview: Gene
    Latest Systems