How to uninstall ACPI in XP?

Sharky Forums

Thread: How to uninstall ACPI in XP?

How to uninstall ACPI in XP?

I need to uninstall ACPI in Windows XP. I have a problem where my computer locks all the time, but I can't nail down what it is. I know that if I remove my sound card everything is fine, but I have the latest drivers for everything, all the critical updates, etc. Any other sugestions are welcome.

Andy

WinXp (and Win98SE for that matter) can handle IRQ conflicts for you! Find something like this in your BIOS and turn it on: "PnP OS Installed"
    The Money Trap = Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ASUS P6X58D-E | 3 x 2GB G.Skill DDR3 2000 6-9-6-24 | EVGA GTX 580 DS SC | OCZ Vertex 2 90GB SSD | WD VelociRaptor | Klipsch ProMedia | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Antec TPQ-1200W | Dell U2711 2560 x 1440 27" | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | APC RS1500

Re: How to uninstall ACPI in XP?

Originally posted by AndyFunk
    I need to uninstall ACPI in Windows XP. I have a problem where my computer locks all the time, but I can't nail down what it is. I know that if I remove my sound card everything is fine, but I have the latest drivers for everything, all the critical updates, etc. Any other sugestions are welcome.

Andy
    Isn't ACPI Windows XP power management of some kind? check power settings, but that surely isn't your stability problem
    Main PC: MSI P965 Neo-F | nVidia geForce 7300GT | Intel C2D E6400 | 250GB SATA II WD Hard Drive | SB Audigy 2 Platinum | 8x DVD Burner| 2GB Corsair XMS DDR II 675 | Logitech z680's | Cordless MX Duo | Samsung 191T | (2) 19inch Rosewill 913E

HTPC: Abit IC7 | ATI Radeon 9800 Pro | Intel P4c 2.8Ghz | 120GB WD SE | Chaintech AV-710| 4x DVD+RW | 1GB RAM | Onkyo 7.1 Speakers | TV Tuner | Rosewill Cordless KB and Mouse | 15 Inch LCD | Panasonic PT-L500U Projector | USB 2.0 Card Reader

It looks like a reinstall may be the best option.

Just like in Windows 2000, when you first start the setup, you'll see a message "Press F6 to install 3rd party SCSI/RAID drivers". When you see that message, press "F5" to select the PM config that best fits your needs. If you don't Windows will pick for you.

I've seen posts of changing your ACPI driver to the Standard PC driver , but Windows will probably fight you every step of the way and may not operate the same from that point forward.

Make sure you set your BIOS accordingly before the reinstall.

SS_T-Dog

DISCLAIMER 1: Back up anything that's important to you first, because following these steps can occasionally cause problems that only a reinstall of Windows can fix. Completely disabling ACPI support requires Windows to change its Hardware Abstraction Layer, and if that gets messed up, your Windows installation is pooched.

DISCLAIMER 2: You can disable ACPI support by following the steps below, but it can't be re-enabled without reinstalling Windows.

DISCLAIMER 3: If you remove ACPI support, your system will no longer automatically turn off when you shut down Windows. You'll have to shut down Windows and then press the power button to turn off the system.

With all that out of the way, here's the instructions to disable ACPI without reinstalling Windows:

1) Disable ACPI support in your system BIOS.

2) Boot to Windows and go to Device Manager. Right-click on "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" under the "Computer" header and select "Update Driver".

3) Select "Install from a list or specific location (advanced)" and click Next.

4) Select "Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install" and click Next.

5) Select "Standard PC" and click Next.

6) Keep on goin'. (I can't give you step by step instructions from this point on because I don't want to disable ACPI on my computer.)

Tiger Shark
    DISCLAIMER 3: If you remove ACPI support, your system will no longer automatically turn off when you shut down Windows. You'll have to shut down Windows and then press the power button to turn off the system.

I'm pretty sure you can install Legacy APM support to get it to shutdown. I've done it on my laptop and systems where I had the ACPI disabled in the bios.

DISCLAIMER 2: You can disable ACPI support by following the steps below, but it can't be re-enabled without reinstalling Windows.
    I don't know if this is the same, but AFTER installing XP, I have installed ACPI support without a reinstall.

And if you diable ACPI in the bios, windows will revert to standard PC by default?
    My Home Page
    Allpar: gene - neonexpres
    dpreview: Gene
    Latest Systems

Arrow Re: Re: How to uninstall ACPI in XP?

Originally posted by Trav2003

Isn't ACPI Windows XP power management of some kind?
    Some people try to remove it because Sandra indicates it can slow performance. I've never bothered myself. Seems like something I wouldn't want to get rid altogether.
    COL 3:17-