Stealing in Morrowind, and NOT getting caught?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Stealing in Morrowind, and NOT getting caught?

Stealing in Morrowind, and NOT getting caught?

I'm trying to do an early quest for the thieves guild where i have to get a key from this guy in balmora. The guy is surrounded by a few people, and everytime i go to steal from this guy, everybody comes running at me. Is there anyway i can safely steal?
    Specs - mobo: Asus m2n-sli deluxe with an Athlon X2 4200. Videocard: 7900gt Ram: 2 gigs

Go to the Nerano Manor and kill that dude. That's how I did it.

Try some chameleon or invisibility. Telekinesis might help also. If you go up to all the people they will turn to face you, so lead their eyes to a spot opposite of the key. Make sure the sneak icon comes up in the lower left before you try anything. I think this is the one where I ended up killing all the people, though, so you could try that. After you kill them go to Habasi and he will direct you to people who can clear your name, one is downstairs, Phane something. Good Luck.

You can get on the good side of Nerano or his servant and they will GIVE you the key

Or you can do the quest for the guards out at the fort and KILL EVERYONE in the bar and be thanked for it God this is why i love morrowind there are SOOOOOO many ways to solve one simple quest

Mako Shark
    Originally posted by K()th
    You can get on the good side of Nerano or his servant and they will GIVE you the key
    Yeah I think that might be what I did.

Of course killing is always a close second

Person Without An Interesting Name
    Major Pwain of the Cooler's Guild

Originally posted by Recon
    Or you can do the quest for the guards out at the fort and KILL EVERYONE in the bar and be thanked for it
    That the way I did it. Not only do you get one of the better fights in the game, but you get the ring of Khajiit as well. It may be a tough fight for a low level thief type though.

In my game I joined the mage guild and completed a couple quests for them. In the second one you are asked to plant a fake soul gem in a desk of one of the fellow members in the mage guild while she is away. I took the opportunity to take the other real soul gems she had sitting there including a grand soul gem with a winged twilight in it. (60000 gold if you could sell it…)

I used this to enchant an imperial broadsword with 1-52 fire damage in a 15-foot radius, then finished a few more minor jobs then a long mission to collect some guild dues. That mission gave me a chance to fight lots of cliff racers and I was lvl 3 or 4 when I got back. This was just barely high enough to take them all out with a well-planned battle.

I planted a Flame Atronarch at the bottom of the stairs, then blocked them with as many critters as I could summon using some restore magica potions along the way. I then took on the guy at the top of the stairs and killed him after first casting some bound armor spells.

The Flame Atronarch sat at the bottom of the stairs blasting the rest with fire while I did this. My critters caught between this didn’t last long but it was enough. I finished the first guy, chugged a restore health potion and met the rest on the stairs. There was only enough room for one or two to fight me at once, but they all crowded in and took damage from the flame effects of my long sword. With 1-52 points per hit and the high rate of attacks that long sword has they didn’t last long. The only thing left was to get past the guards at the fort, and get to the guard commander so he can wipe out the 6000+ bounty that I accumulated.

I guess I could have left this as just I killed him, but I am getting nostalgic. I just can’t find a challenging fight anymore.

Originally posted by Moridin
    I guess I could have left this as just I killed him, but I am getting nostalgic. I just can’t find a challenging fight anymore.
    Same here! But then again, I am level 40 now and all those puny little people are no match for me

Welll I just bought Morrowind Friday so I'm still witholding my official judgment, but so far it's been a lot of fun. Some things seem a lil silly though, like if you take a napkin the bar owner attacks you, or how he can report your 'crime' if it's just you and him alone in the room.

But yes there are SO many things to do. I came across a woman standing outside Caldera, "oh please help me, someone stole all my jewelry! Get it back and I'll pay you its weight in gold!" I spend a day and a half running around, looking for thieves, came across her again and the first thing she says is, "what do you want, I haven't got all day." Pfft, I'm not having any of that 'tude seeing as I'm doing HER a favor, so out comes the dai-katana, CHOP! And what does she have? 50 gold. 50 GOLD! I was a 7th level scout at that point, i spend more on arrows! That cheap wench. Stripped her penny-pinching corpse nekkid and left her for the worms, and sold her frilly attire at the nearest clothier for 200 gold. That'll teach ya!

I also like all the little taunts they throw at you, if you have someone knocked down to just a sliver of health left, they'll STILL taunt you, "you're beaten!" Haha, suuuure - CHOP! Okay let's see what you got... some shoes, a puffy shirt, and some moon dust? Oooh, that stuff's very bad for you, I better hold onto that

And my guild mistress has quite an odd sense of humor, I'm a 10th level scout and she sends me on a job and she pays me 100 gold?! Another cheap-o wench. Why I oughta... If she wasn't such a cute red-head I'd...

And right now I just got done running all over the frickin' land, looking for someone with enough money to buy that 'fiend helm' I looted off some dead slaver... Valued at 6000 gold, I've been offered as much as 4000, but nobody has more than 2000 on them... You call yourself a pawnbroker?? Show me the money, dammit!!!

And that geeky lil armorer in Balmora... hiding a suit of Orc armor behind the counter, but it doesn't show up For Sale when I try bartering... If it wasn't for that guard straight out of 'Terminator' watching over his pencil neck I'd lop off his head and help myself to it... *sigh*

In case you're wondering... my character is a slight sociopath...
    Last edited by Frosty; 06-26-2002 at 10:13 AM.
    Boom. Head shot.

One very good way to get stuff from people is to taunt them into attacking you, so then you can kill them and take their stuff There is a talking creeper that has 5000 gold...I forgot where...that's where I sell my expensive stuff so I can get trained. Look it up at some of the morrowind sites.

Tiger Shark
    Originally posted by Frosty
    Welll I just bought Morrowind Friday so I'm still witholding my official judgment, but so far it's been a lot of fun. Some things seem a lil silly though, like if you take a napkin the bar owner attacks you, or how he can report your 'crime' if it's just you and him alone in the room...

...And that geeky lil armorer in Balmora... hiding a suit of Orc armor behind the counter, but it doesn't show up For Sale when I try bartering... If it wasn't for that guard straight out of 'Terminator' watching over his pencil neck I'd lop off his head and help myself to it... *sigh*

In case you're wondering... my character is a slight sociopath...
    LMAO!

Man you left me in stitches pal, If the game is half as good and amusing as you describe it, then ive really been missing out. I'm getting this sucker right now!
    "I am neither Goku nor Vegita, I am the instrument of your destruction!" --Gogita

1985......................................................1995......................................2005?
    Commodore............................................Intel.. .....................................Linux running on a Texas Instruments 486 Laptop? lol!
    Amiga 1000@7Mhz...................................Pentium75@75Mhz
    2mb RAM onboard
    expandable to 8mb Fastram......................8mb EDO RAM
    OCS custom chipset..................................512K S3 Video Card
    capable of 4096colors@640x480.................VGA/256colors@640x480
    and RF/TV out..........................................Yeah right!
    16bit 4-channel stereo..............................ISA Vibra16
    2 x 880k 3.5" floppy.................................1.44mb 3.5" floppy
    later purchased 50mb RAMdrive.................512 mb hd
    14"Phillips monitor/inbuilt speakers............14"Goldstar monitor
    32bit AmigaOS 1.0...................................16bit Windows 3.1
    Pre-emptive multitasking
    Low overhead/small footprint OS................Multi what? Bloatware showing already

Seamless/responsive operation of UI.........Try formatting a disk and opening a file to see what happens

Originally posted by Gogita

LMAO!

Man you left me in stitches pal, If the game is half as good and amusing as you describe it, then ive really been missing out. I'm getting this sucker right now!
    Ditto here, Frosty you should be a satirist.
    I haven't really seen much about Morrowind, but after reading your post I think I'll check it out.
    <!-- caffeine break. -->