Quake3 is too dark in win2k

Sharky Forums

Thread: Quake3 is too dark in win2k

Expensive Sushi

Cool Quake3 is too dark in win2k

I recently installed win2k pro (dual boot) on my k6-2 450 mhz, 160mb ram, Diamond Viper 770 TNT2 Ultra system (newest detonator drivers installed). Everything runs fine except for Quake3 which is very very dark (but otherwise runs fine). I've tried gamma correction in the Quake console (r_gamma 1) which helps a bit but not nearly enough. Changing gamma in the Nvidia part of the windoes control panel does not help either since Quake3 apparently runs with independent settings. Can anything be done about this? Thanks in advance.

Goldfish

Add, or change to, "r_ignorehwgamma 1" in your config.cfg file AND and config file for mods you play. TNT cards are famous for being too dark in quake games. I have a TNT 1 and it worked wonders in Q3A.

------------------
    For all yer win2k gaming compatability and gaming tip needs check out www.win2kgamer.com and www.ntcompatible.com
    For all yer win2k gaming compatability and gaming tip needs check out www.win2kgamer.com and www.ntcompatible.com

Goldfish

Also, if you run Q3A in a different resolution than your desktop you will find that it is running at the default refresh rate of 60hz. You can change the win2k default refresh rate for each supported resolution via manually editing the registry or download a proggie that will do this for you.

I use the program that you will find here
    http://www.planetquake.com/ztn/

As of patch 1.17, there is no way to change the refresh rate withing quake3 that I am aware of.

------------------

Expensive Sushi

thanks - that really helped. I'm not getting the same framerate as in win98 though - but its playable and thats what matters.

Expensive Sushi

Isn't there a gamma correction thing on Q3?

Originally posted by langben:
    I recently installed win2k pro (dual boot) on my k6-2 450 mhz, 160mb ram, Diamond Viper 770 TNT2 Ultra system (newest detonator drivers installed). Everything runs fine except for Quake3 which is very very dark (but otherwise runs fine). I've tried gamma correction in the Quake console (r_gamma 1) which helps a bit but not nearly enough. Changing gamma in the Nvidia part of the windoes control panel does not help either since Quake3 apparently runs with independent settings. Can anything be done about this? Thanks in advance.

I have found that this forum, win2kgaming, has been able to help me for all my win2k gaming and application compatibility needs:
    http://oldcigaret.info/win2k/phpBB3/
    Last edited by mailinator; 10-15-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Seriously? W2K?

May I ask why?
    War... War never changes.

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Wurm View Post
    Seriously? W2K?
    Seriously? 11 years after the fact? lol

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

holy thread revival batman!
    Steam- DerSchniffles
    Gigabyte z77-UD3H
    Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5
    8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600
    Sony AVR with 5.1/Asus Xonar DG
    EVGA GTX760 @ 1241/7000
    60 gig OS and 240 gig Game SSD's
    55" Vizio Tv/32" Vizio
    Logitech G700s Mouse and K520 Keyboard

This may be the oldest gravedig I've ever seen. Good stuff!