I am in big trouble

Sharky Forums

Thread: I am in big trouble

I am in big trouble

I repartitioned my friends hard drive with Partition Magic 7 and he failed to inform me that his pictures where in his new My documents, not his old one, so i didn't copy them over before I reformatted. Is there any way that I can get these files back? I didn't do the secure format or anything, and it didn't take but 2 seconds to format the drive, so I am pretty sure it didn't write zeros to it. Do you guys know of any programs that I can use to get this stuff back off this drive?
    Some day, that fateful finger from above will point down, and it will be pointing at me.

afaik once you format that everything is gone

if you just did a quick format, there may be some unformat utilities - atleast there used to be plenty of such utils in the days of dos (I have unformatted several quick-formated disks using Norton Utilities for Dos). But if you also re-partitioned the drive, then I don't see how you could unformat any single partition because although the data will still be there physically on the platter, the original partition itself doesn't exist anymore.

there are data recovery programs that should be able to find the information, even after a full format the data still exists on the hard drive. how much you're going to have to pay to get the data back i don't know. you might just need a simple program like my friend bought for about $50, but if that doesn't work you may have to have a data recovery service do it for you, and that's not going to be cheap at all
    Abit IP35 Pro - Core2Duo E8400 - 4GB Crucial Ballistix 1066 - ATI 4850HD
    - 2xRaptor 150GB RAID-0

Dave? Dave?! Dave's not here...

Those programs are very expensive. Consider the pictures gone. Sorry man.

Originally posted by thebove
    there are data recovery programs that should be able to find the information, even after a full format the data still exists on the hard drive. how much you're going to have to pay to get the data back i don't know. you might just need a simple program like my friend bought for about $50, but if that doesn't work you may have to have a data recovery service do it for you, and that's not going to be cheap at all
    i talked to a customer the other day that said he had drive savers recover his data from his drive.. it cost him 900 bucks! they said the minimum they charge is 600.. unless those pics are worth 600 bucks forget about it!

the program my friend bought (can't think of the name at the time) actually worked quite well for him. now i don't remember if the data he was recovering was from from partitions he erased and recreated over, or if they were simply after the partitions were removed. i would assume that if you've erased and recreated partitions and wrote data to the new partitions, that it's going to be expensive to get thos pictures back
    Abit IP35 Pro - Core2Duo E8400 - 4GB Crucial Ballistix 1066 - ATI 4850HD
    - 2xRaptor 150GB RAID-0

Dave? Dave?! Dave's not here...

Ok, I typed "free data recovery software" in msn search and found a number of hits. I downloaded a program that worked ok, but alas, when I put his music back on the drive, it wrote over the part that held the picturs. He did save about 5, but that isn't close to the hundreds he had on there. Oh well. Thanks for your guys help.
    Some day, that fateful finger from above will point down, and it will be pointing at me.