Questions about Input/Output Devices...

Sharky Forums

Thread: Questions about Input/Output Devices...

Hybrid View

Goldfish

Questions about Input/Output Devices...

As you see the subject I got some questions about Input/Output Devices...Actually I got a main question that I would be really appreciated if someone can answer it, and some minor questions that can be ignored :P

Here are them:

Main question:
    Can/Should we consider the hardwares like Video Adapters;LAN cards;SCSI Cards; CPUs to be Output/Input/Both ?
    If so that means: Video Adapters: Output ; Sound Cards: Output ; LAN Cards: Both ; SCSI cards: ?(Would love to know, if the answer of the question were "Yes") ; CPU: Both(This one I really doubt that we should put it in Input/Output category)

Minor question:
    Can we consider the regular monitors to be both Output AND Input ?
    My personal answer would be a "No" since we don't input anything with our monitors (Or does the buttons to adjust the screen size, etc counts too?). But the explanation I got were: <<Without the monitor we would not be able to use others input devices like the mouse and the keyboard, so since it help us to do the input, we should consider them to be Output AND Input devices.>> BUT, here is what I thought instantly: So, that means that the Speakers are also Input/Output devices, as if I had visual impairments (e.g. If I'm blind) I can use the speakers to help me to use the keyboard and the mouse (by reading the screen).
    So, what do you guys think ? Any comments are very welcome.

And thanks for reading the post. *Prays for an answer for the main question*
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (800MHz)
    RAM: Corsair TwinX 2*512MB (PC3200, LL)
    Mobo: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (v.1015 BIOS)
    Video: Gigabyte Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
    Sound: SoundBlaster Audigy 2
    HD1: 2*80GB Seagate SATA 150 (RAID 0: Stripe)
    HD2: 160GB Seagate UDMA5
    Disk Reader: Samsung Combo Drive
    Speakers: Altec Lansing 5100
    Mouse: Logitech MX700
    Monitor: 17" ViewSonic VP171s
    Keyboard: Logitech MX Duo

Video Adapters: Output (BOTH in case of having Video IN) ; Sound Cards: BOTH (Line IN, S/PDIF in) ; LAN Cards: Both ; SCSI cards: Dunno put DATA goes in and out from it (I can`t really say) ; CPU: same SCSI

Minor:
    I would say "NO" since we don`t input DATA on REGULAR monitors (I mean not that touch ones) so I don`t think it can b both.
    Last edited by Diablo SV; 10-06-2002 at 02:16 PM.

Goldfish

Re: Questions about Input/Output Devices...

Thank you for your reply, Diablo SV.
    You can't imagine how much you have helped me to confirm something in my works.

Thank you again.
    Of course, more replies are always welcome
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (800MHz)
    RAM: Corsair TwinX 2*512MB (PC3200, LL)
    Mobo: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (v.1015 BIOS)
    Video: Gigabyte Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
    Sound: SoundBlaster Audigy 2
    HD1: 2*80GB Seagate SATA 150 (RAID 0: Stripe)
    HD2: 160GB Seagate UDMA5
    Disk Reader: Samsung Combo Drive
    Speakers: Altec Lansing 5100
    Mouse: Logitech MX700
    Monitor: 17" ViewSonic VP171s
    Keyboard: Logitech MX Duo

Mako Shark
    An Input/Ouput device is something that transfers data in and out of the COMPUTER, not between different devices in the computer.

So a LAN card could be considered i/o, a scsi card could not. A removable scsi drive though, could be considered i/o. And a cpu is certainly not an i/o device.

And no, a monitor cannot be an input device. It only outputs information.

Thats kind of a tough call if you are defining Input and output as user or computational. There is an arguement that they all can be both. However for all intents and purposes all of the device that you listed with the exclusion of the video adapter (except for VIVO editions) are both. Of course this is only from the users perspective, every device that you have named carries its own unique BIOS which mean that on an internal/system sense they are BOTH.

Originally posted by russ_watters
    And no, a monitor cannot be an input device. It only outputs information.
    There are touch screens out there that could be considered both though too.

I don't see things such as video cards, nics, etc to be I/O devices, they are essentially converters on the way to an I/O device, since they don't actually accept data directly from the user, or provide date directly to the user, they can not be considered I/O devices.
    Moderator at CPU Planet
    Veteran Elite at Off Topic Central Home of the Headbangers.