Anyone who has a K7S5A mobo, come here and temme whats wrong with yours!

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone who has a K7S5A mobo, come here and temme whats wrong with yours!

Anyone who has a K7S5A mobo, come here and temme whats wrong with yours!

Well basically, since i havent yet assembled my rig (i am gettin paid today, and am gonna order a CPU tonight), i want to hear what problems you guys experienced, as well as the steps you took to fix it. I seirously would love to hear all da bad stuff about it, so i can prepare myself

FX-62 / MSI K9N PLATINUM SLI / 2x1GB Patriot DDR2 800 / XFX 7600GT
    IBM T60 / 1.83 GHz Core Duo / 1.5 GB DDR2 667 MHz / 80 GB SATA HD / ATi X1300 64 MB / Fingerprint reader!!!

My Heatware!!! w00t w00t, got lots of evals now!

Proud Private Shadowfire of The Cooler's Guild

I had one for about a week and returned it because it sometimes wouldn't retain CMOS settings when rebooted, and I'd have to reset the CMOS by jumper in order to get the system to boot again. If I waited at least 15 minutes before attempting to reboot, the problem would usually (but not always) go away.

I found some web sites that documented this as a fairly common problem with the board. I didn't want to risk getting another flaky board with the same problem, so I spent a few extra bucks to swap it for an MSI KT3 Ultra2.

Skydog - apperantly the reason for the CMOS problems is a faulty CMOS battery clip so i figured out from asking a few ppl in my Comp Animation problem who have the same mobo Also i just found i live 8 miles away from ECS's HQ, so in case any of you have probs, you can write me, and i'll go an peronslly yell at them

IBM T60 / 1.83 GHz Core Duo / 1.5 GB DDR2 667 MHz / 80 GB SATA HD / ATi X1300 64 MB / Fingerprint reader!!!

The battery clip was fine. I read somewhere about how some people have fixed the problem I was having by soldering another resistor in parallel to one that's already on the motherboard, increasing current flow from the battery to the CMOS memory. Other than the CMOS problem, though, the board was pretty darn good. I just didn't like to play the odds with a documented problem and pay for shipping yet again.

I don't need you to go yell at ECS, but if you're willing to take a walk on Mowry a bit west from 880, I've got a bone to pick with some Asus engineers.

I put one in the GF's system and it has been flawless. The hardest thing I found about installing the board was trying to figure out where they hid the NIC drivers on the installation CD.
    Prince of the OC Crusaders

Intel i7 3.2GHz @ 4.24GHz
    Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3-1600 (quad channel)
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz
    Asus 20x DVD-RW DL DVD-RW

I've build 2 or 3 pc's with this motherboard and they continue to work great. No complaints at all.

The ECS board works great for me. Lost the cmos settings one time. Turned Quick Boot off in bios and I have never lost it again. Shadowfire, You may want to check out ocworkbench.com. They have an ECS forum that will give you all the info you will ever need.
    E6400 C2D @ 2.8ghz w/ intel cooler
    Gigabyte 965P DS3 Rev 3.3
    2gb DDR2-800 G.Skill Ram
    8800GTS 640 EVGA Graphics
    Vista32 Home Premium

Used the board once, no real problems. A bit shaky at first (a couple BSOD's). But after updating drivers, putting a couple of fans in, etc. it ran just fine.

IIRC some people had issues with the chipset overheating. I guess replacing the heatsink for the chipset or at least putting a fan on it can help with that.
    Stuff and stuff

How about PSU? If i have a generic 250 watt PSU, taht will support a XP1600+, 256 Mb SDRAm CAS2, a dvd drive, a burner, two HD's, a floppy, a GeForce2 GTS, one DC fan, one system Blower fan, and a TT volcano 7+ fan, do you guys think i would like strain it? Cuz basically i was running the same setup with teh same exact components, only with an Intel D815EEA mobo and a Celeron 500...

i've built rigs with that board before, might be doing another one soon. had 2 minor problems with it. first the cd that came with the motherboard was crap, every time i tried to run the setup programs on the disc for the nic and sis drivers, it would give me this lovely error: "the motherboard not support." all the setup options on the autorun menu were grayed out. apparently the cd couldn't recognize that i had a k7s5a in there, so it was saying the drivers were for the wrong mobo. well, the sis site and windows update took care of that problem easily.

the other problem i had was the led/hdd/power connectors. with the particular case i had, i had to remove one of the wires from the hdd led (the 3 pin one with only 2 wires used) and move it from one pin location to the other in order to get it to fit on the mobo. never had that problem with any other mobo and that same case.

oh well, like i said both of those were minor problems...the system worked flawlessly

oh yeah, forgot one more thing....another system i built with that board didn't get far at all....turned it on and a resistor near the usb headers popped, smoked and made sparks i had to rma that one and get another...
    Last edited by thebove; 10-04-2002 at 07:54 PM.
    Abit IP35 Pro - Core2Duo E8400 - 4GB Crucial Ballistix 1066 - ATI 4850HD
    - 2xRaptor 150GB RAID-0

Dave? Dave?! Dave's not here...

Hammerhead Shark
    the p.o.s took for ever to boot.
    the only bios that worked correctly was the original one,any of the newer bios would result in lockups and reboots.
    was picky with all my hardware,couldnt find drivers on the cd.
    was slow compared to the abit kt7 that was also in use at that time.
    just a giant headache,good luck you'll need it
    anandtech sucks,this is my opinion,my signiture has been changed because I was asked to,please don't visit anandtech!!

Tiger Shark
    I have 2 sysyems with this board and another in my closet witha duron 1ghz sitting there right now. I have built 4 systems for friends with it and so far no problems with any of them. I think this board is excellent. It runs all day long, without glitches for me.

Right now I'm playing with an 8KHA+ that I got a good deal on and it has been flawless so far as well.

Aaron
    2000XP+
    MSI KT3 Ultra 2
    1 Gb PC2700
    Maxtor 120 Gig
    LG 16X DVD
    LG 4x DVDRW+/-
    Logitech Z-560's
    Albatron GF4 Ti4600 128mb
    Enermax 350wtt PSU
    Heat->MattGrass

Thinking of throwing another spare rig together with this board. Im hoping i dont run into many problems with it either. For $108 you can throw in a AXP1600+ and you got yourself a great system providing the board holds up. This has got me pretty tempted to pull the trigger.
    Pyro's Updated 3dmark01/03 Guide
    "It takes time and study to undo the effects of evolutionary teachings"

|:~T-Bred B~:| |:~nForce2~:| |:~GF4 Ti4600~:|

Expensive Sushi
    17 of them so far without a hitch.. But yes they could do a better job with the CD though..

Talking great mobo easy install no problems

Uh about sums it up. Ive been runing my ecs k7s5a sense last christmas with no problems and it very stable . I like it alot or p/s is 300watt enermax clone
    Q: Why do you care?

A: You'll never know.

system Amd 64 3200+, nvidia 6800gs 256meg
    maxtor 250gig sata hdr, 1 gig of ram,nec x16 dvd rw,
    dsl.