Blown Speakers or Fried Sound Card?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Blown Speakers or Fried Sound Card?

Question Blown Speakers or Fried Sound Card?

Hi! I have Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers (two satellites and a subwoofer) and a Sound Blaster Live! Platinum sound card. Lately, I have noticed a slight crackling noise sometimes when gaming, or when I hear sound (near the end of whatever sound I hear) and I don't know if my speakers are blown or my sound card is fried. The only reason I question it is because I have the crackling sometimes too in my headphones, which are not blown. Is there a way to test out to see if they're blown or to listen real closely or?? Help!

Well you can plug your speakers into a pootable CD player or radio, via the headphone jack (although a radio is my last choice, but does in a pinch if you know of a strong signal). If you get that same buzz then its the speakers, otherwise its the card.

You might want to try searching around on the topics of SB lives and line noise in the sound card forum, I have seen a few posts regarding this there.

It sounds like the sound card especially if you can hear the crackling noise through the headphones also. Have you tried downloading new sound card drivers? www.creative.com

Good luck.

arent the atp3's like super thin and easy to blow? i remember i bought a pair waaa y back when, took it home, and heard a shitload of static when play9ing my mp3s and i knew it wasnt my soundcard, so maybe their bad sound is just starting to show up. i remember it did have a nice bass to it. subwoofer was pretty big. btw, how can u tell if speakers are blown? like one of my friends has a blown speaker in his car, but its like completely dead and only makes nothing but crackling noises. is it possible for a speaker to be blwon but still partially function?
    Specs:
    Hercules Prophetview 920 17" LCD of *** kicking
    WIN XP Pro of *** kicking
    P3 733 @ 792
    384 MB Crucial CAS 3 RAM
    Geforce 4 4200 64 MB of *** kicking
    Lite-On 48x12x48 CDRW of *** kicking thanks so some firmware updates
    SB LIVE! Value
    Altec Lansing ACS 54W
    Soyo 7KCA+ or something like that

like one of my friends has a blown speaker in his car, but its like completely dead and only makes nothing but crackling noises. is it possible for a speaker to be blwon but still partially function?
    That sounds like he blew a channel on his amp.

if you and your friend are fairly adept with a screwdriver, you can pull that speaker out and drop another on that same line, if that one makes the same crackles, its the line.

Otherwise your speaker has some issue that is not normal. When speakers "Blow" you can still hear it attempting to reproduce the signal depending on how badly its blown. Remember that speakers themselves contain no active electronics, so anything that is wrong with them can be identified through acting a source on them.