Fixing corrupt system files...

Sharky Forums

Thread: Fixing corrupt system files...

Fixing corrupt system files...

Here's my trouble, and it's pretty tricky, so I'll do my best to explain.

Ok, on bootup, before I see the windows xp screen, I get an error that says something like
    "c:\windows\system32\config\system
    this file is missing or corrupted"
    and it then tells me to boot using the windwos xp cd, and hit r (recovery console). BTW system isn't a directory, but a file without an extension. going into the recovery console just gives me several commands, but nothing(as far as I know) that can repair a corrupted file. So first, is there a command that can scan and repair files? If not, is there a way that I can fix it in another windows install. I know that I cant use the system file off another machine, because the one that's corrupted is 5.75mb, the one on my laptop is 8.75mb, and the one on a spare hard drive that I have with just windows on it (for situations like this) is 4.00mb. I haven't actually tried swaping the 4.0mb one for the 5.75mb one, but I would assume that it wouldn't get me anywhere, unless this file is what tells windows what hardware I have installed, in which case windows would just update it once it booted?? Anyone know?? Otherwise is there a program that can find the corruption in the file and fix it? Right now I'm using my backup hard drive to scan and repair any filesystem errors on the main drive. Let me know what you think, and if there's any other way to fix this, I don't want to loose all my stuff, thanks!!
    Cooler Master Wave Master Case | AMD Athlon 64 3200+ | Abit KV8-MAX3 | 1.5GB Kinston HyperX PC3500 | PNY Geforce 6800GT | Dell 2005FPW 20" wide and Samsung 172W 17" wide LCD's | Western Digital HDs: 360GD "raptor" 36gb sata, 1200JD 120GB sata, 1200JB 120GB ATA100, Maxtor 250GB 16MB cache | Lite-On 16x DVD+-RW | Lite-On 52x32x52 CD-RW | Windows XP Pro | Built in Gigabit Ethernet | 3DMark 2001SE: 19962 | 3DMark03: 11870 | 3DMark05: 5107

Hammerhead Shark
    usually get this error after trying to remove a piece of hardware which doesnt completely erase itself from the registry.
    if you removed something try reinstalling it.
    anandtech sucks,this is my opinion,my signiture has been changed because I was asked to,please don't visit anandtech!!

Hammerhead Shark
    just try replacing system with the ones from the other computers but make sure to backup the original just in case
    Last edited by Tracker00; 10-07-2002 at 11:30 AM.