Watercooling info - Page 7

Sharky Forums

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Watercooling info

I'm a watercooling n00b, but have quite a lot of experience putting my computers together. I have tolerated my really noisy case fans and am frankly getting a bit fed up with them. I want to move towards quiet cooling for my own sanity, and watercooling in particular because I've had a devil of a time with heat ever since I put my FX-53 and x800 together with stock cooling. Temps are "okay," but still a bit higher than I like, and when the video card works overtime, I can occasionally get heat shut downs. This concerns me.

I'm posting in here because I have read the thread, but honestly a lot of it went over my head. Basically what I would like is a list of what equipment speedfreak finally ended up using all here in one thread. That way I can use it as a basis for what I want to obtain. Is that okay?

Stupid question...... Once you set up a watercooling system, do you need to refill the water from time to time? Or is it pretty self-contained and therefore no evapouration or cleaning needed?

you are good
    back to the future

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious
    Stupid question...... Once you set up a watercooling system, do you need to refill the water from time to time? Or is it pretty self-contained and therefore no evapouration or cleaning needed?
    I think you have to refill it..but it takes quite a while to evaporate a substantial amount? mistaken anyone?

Quiet PC.

Sushi
    Why I prefer distilled water over tap? If you have a leak it might be conductive depending on the local minerals in your tap and theres a higher chance for non-organic and organic build up in you lines and pump requiring more maintenance on your part to keep it clean and flowing smooth.

Why a 15% anti freeze solution? Thats the typical amount needed to control corrosion in a water cooled system. Recommended by Colin.

Whats water wetter for? It acts as an anti-corrosive which will prevent your parts from oxidizing due to the battery effect and helps with surface tension. Its usually added to antifreeze to improve the heat transfer. 3-5% is the recommended dosage.
    From here, i know more.

Sushi
    does water cooling really help the cpu

Hammerhead Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by deathtech20 View Post
    Just get a good CPU heatsink and fan. I got this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...r%20212%20Plus.

It's still available on amazon for a better price. It keeps my quad core (sig) at 30 degrees celcius

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by deathtech20 View Post
    welcome to sharky btw

Water cooling can dramatically drop temperatures and do a better job over air cooling systems.

However, if you only have one hot part (after monitoring system temps), such as the cpu, I would agree with kujoe, buy a good air cooler like he linked to.

A comprimise between air and water cooling is the corsair hydro series, self contained water cooling heatsink for the cpu, but none of the hassles of water cooling. Almost the same price as air cooling.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+...ci_sku=9503771

It all depends on your temps to be honest. Water cooling can be a bit priceir, but if you love overclocking and thrashing your PC playing games, it can be a good investment and quieter than air cooling if well designed/set up.
    Compaq A910em: T2330 dual core 1.6Ghz, X3100 384MB GPU, 160GB sata HDD, 2GB RAM
    Gaming rig: Asus Striker II, Coolermaster GX 750w, E4600 @ 2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, Zerotherm FZ 120, 9500GT 1GB
    Server: Mac mini running W23k Server - 1.8Ghz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 1x80GB, 2x500GB externals + LTO1 tape backup

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders