Watercooling info - Page 6

Sharky Forums

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Watercooling info

Mako Shark
    Originally posted by Sinnersis
    I was intending to put the radiator on my system above the PSU (In a Lian Li PC 70) and put two fans in front of the radiator and two fans behind (or something to that affect).

I can't use the space where the intake fans are since I will need that for hard disks. Any opinons / suggestions on that Kenrippy (or someone)?

Thanks again
    the two fans in front and two behind isn't good (even on air HSF) as one fan will end up blowing faster then it's specs, and die out much sooner (let alone a waste of money)
    Desktop: AMD Athlon X2 4400 | DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR | 2GB OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum Edition | eVGA 7800GTX | Gateway FPD2185W | 2x Maxtor 250GB 16MB SATA RAID 0 | Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer | Hiper Type-R 580W

Coming Soon: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 | ASUS Striker Extreme Nforce 680I | 2GB Corsair XMS2 8500C5D | eVGA 8800GTX | Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Windos Vista: Home Premium

Originally posted by number1sixerfan
    What type of radiator are you gonna use?
    One of the Black Ice Extreme's you reccommended.

Originally posted by speed freak
    the two fans in front and two behind isn't good (even on air HSF) as one fan will end up blowing faster then it's specs, and die out much sooner (let alone a waste of money)
    I actually wondered about something to that effect and then thought nawwww. (Where's rolleyes when you need it!).

In that case is it better to have the fans in front or behind the radiator? Given the location of the radiator as mentioned earlier.

Keep the advice coming
    Tempus Edax Rerum

(2^43,112,609)-1 is Prime

Mako Shark

One of the Black Ice Extreme's you reccommended.

I actually wondered about something to that effect and then thought nawwww. (Where's rolleyes when you need it!).

In that case is it better to have the fans in front or behind the radiator? Given the location of the radiator as mentioned earlier.

Keep the advice coming
    from what I've gathered from all the helpfull people here, you can have one on each side, just not two on each side
    |fan||fan||rad||fan||fan| = no no
    |fan||rad||fan| = good
    |fan||rad| OR |rad||fan| = so so
    Desktop: AMD Athlon X2 4400 | DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR | 2GB OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum Edition | eVGA 7800GTX | Gateway FPD2185W | 2x Maxtor 250GB 16MB SATA RAID 0 | Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer | Hiper Type-R 580W

Coming Soon: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 | ASUS Striker Extreme Nforce 680I | 2GB Corsair XMS2 8500C5D | eVGA 8800GTX | Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Windos Vista: Home Premium

Mako Shark
    something just occurred to me. Ok, so here it is, does the pump require a separate PSU? Or does it use the PC's PSU? Or is it a totally different ac adapter? (maybe a wall outlet?)

here's the deal with that....the pump (most of them) run on 110v AC. most people just make a small hole to run the pump cord out the back of their case. then have it plugged into a power strip along w/ the pc so that when you power down your pc you flip the switch on the power strip also to kill the pump. then the only way to turn on the pc is to turn the power strip on first. which will start the pump (fail safe method)

the other way (for the lazy people like me) is to use one of these:
    pump relay switch kit you just cut the power cord from the pump and wire it into the relay and run a wire off your psu molex 12v to trigger the pump when you turn on the pc and shut it off. the relay switch kit also comes w/ a power cord that you plug into the wall to give the pump power.

the case will look like this when the kit is used:

or to answer your question more directly....yeah a wall outlet
    Last edited by kenrippy; 11-12-2002 at 12:52 AM.

Q6600 "G0" @ 3.6ghz (400x9) - tuniq tower - IP35 Pro - 4x1gb ballistix ddr800 - Thermaltake W0128RU 650w - 2x74gb raptors raid-0 (OS drive)
    heat ebay

I believe it has its own ac adapter that plugs into the wall.

Mako Shark
    Ok, thanks.

Also, if I get that relay thing, I would be able to power up the water cooling setup with the spacebar? (if I set it up so the PC starts up upon that too) If so, I think that'll be the way I'm going

At this rate I'll need:
    1 Plug socket for the comp's PSU
    1 for the pump
    2 / 3 for the PSU's for the peltiers
    1 for my monitor
    2 for my speakers

Damn that's alot of plug sockets (and a few KiloWatts of power )
    And 4 / 5 power connectors built into the back of my case

I may need to rethink my plans.
    Tempus Edax Rerum

2 / 3 for the PSU's for the peltiers
    How many peltiers do you plan on running?

How many peltiers do you plan on running?
    Depends. I intend to upgrade my processor / mobo / memory in Q1 2003 and might go for a dual CPU setup (My CAD software needs it ). Then in mid - late summer I intend to add water cooling with peltier's. I want 1 peltier / waterblock for the GPU and if I go for dual CPU's I would need 2 peltiers / waterblocks for that.
    I would like one of the Swiftech blocks with peltier (One of the -T models) and they have 226W peltiers with them (The GPU block comes with a 60W peltier (I think)) hence the PSU's (as you told me in an ealier thread ).
    My computer is almost as old as yours

There's nothing like early planning and I'm keeping my eye on new products as they enter the market place.
    Tempus Edax Rerum

hey remember this thread? lol

thought I'd resurrect this dinosaur of a thread for the fact it might help someone. it's got some good info in it.

Q6600 "G0" @ 3.6ghz (400x9) - tuniq tower - IP35 Pro - 4x1gb ballistix ddr800 - Thermaltake W0128RU 650w - 2x74gb raptors raid-0 (OS drive)
    heat ebay

Depends. I intend to upgrade my processor / mobo / memory in Q1 2003 and might go for a dual CPU setup (My CAD software needs it ). Then in mid - late summer I intend to add water cooling with peltier's. I want 1 peltier / waterblock for the GPU and if I go for dual CPU's I would need 2 peltiers / waterblocks for that.
    I would like one of the Swiftech blocks with peltier (One of the -T models) and they have 226W peltiers with them (The GPU block comes with a 60W peltier (I think)) hence the PSU's (as you told me in an ealier thread ).
    My computer is almost as old as yours

There's nothing like early planning and I'm keeping my eye on new products as they enter the market place.
    That's $200-$300 alone for the psu's.

That's $200-$300 alone for the psu's.
    Tell me about it
    It gets worse - I live in the UK and it ain't cheap here.

The good news is that I started saving for an Opteron system a while back (when everyone still thought they'd appear in summer). Now with all the delays, by the time they're released I will have saved a whole wad of extra cash and an expensive W/C system will be no problem.

Hence I'm going for all the juicy extras. (Plus once the system is bought and built it should suffice for many an upgrade with only the possibilty of having to buy new water blocks )
    Tempus Edax Rerum

Mako Shark
    request a sticky yet again

This thread is still very helpful!

Houston, TX mostly. Lima, Peru partiallly.
    Does anyone know of any radiators that would fit the 5/16" tubes on the AWC-1? Would it matter on such a low end water pump?

Eric