Can I do a Clean Install??

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I do a Clean Install??

Cool Can I do a Clean Install??

My question is this, is there any way I can do a "Clean Install" on my HP computer? See the PC comes with the W98se OS on a System Recovery CD. Unlike with my IBM Aptiva, that was a Upgrade from W95 to W98se with a store bought W98se Upgrade CD. I hate all the CRAP thats on this H-Packard computer. I just received the HP from my uncle so we could have 2 PC's for homework for the kids & Dad can do his Fantasy Football HaHa. Anyway, I just wish I could do a Clean Install of this PC because with all the RAM it should run quicker & stabler like my other PC that has the Clean Install of W98se on it. I Will appreacite any help.
    Thanks,,Paul
    HP PIII 550Mhz,20GB HD,384MB RAM,Win XP SP2,IE6.01 Cable Internet

if you want to do a clean install w/o the manufacturer crap, you'll have to get a copy of win98. I can't suggest any ways to go about that, of course...

Anime Lovin' Girl Mod sourdaisy's Avatar
    Try browsing your restore cd because sometimes they have the plain win98 install on it. If you can't browse the cd then its probably a special format and you can't take anything from it. You can also check your computer for cab files in c:\windows\options\cabs. If you do, these are the full installation cabs and you can burn these files (provided there is a setup.exe in there too) to run a clean install.
    "Programming graphics in X is like finding the square root of PI using Roman numerals."
    -Henry Spencer

Talking Re: Can I do a Clean Install??

Originally posted by cooldep
    My question is this, is there any way I can do a "Clean Install" on my HP computer? See the PC comes with the W98se OS on a System Recovery CD. Unlike with my IBM Aptiva, that was a Upgrade from W95 to W98se with a store bought W98se Upgrade CD. I hate all the CRAP thats on this H-Packard computer. I just received the HP from my uncle so we could have 2 PC's for homework for the kids & Dad can do his Fantasy Football HaHa. Anyway, I just wish I could do a Clean Install of this PC because with all the RAM it should run quicker & stabler like my other PC that has the Clean Install of W98se on it. I Will appreacite any help.
    Thanks,,Paul
    Find a WIN98SE boot disk along with a full install CD and go for it. I did a clean install on a Compaq laptop recently without using the Compaq stuff. Only problem is trying to reload and drivers that was specific to the machine....your on your own as far as trying to find that....

One good driver site is DriverGuide.com, if this helps any.

Just do a search on the cd for *.cab, copy the directory that contains those files to another cd and BAM, you have a copy of windows.

Hammerhead Shark ComputerManiacs's Avatar

Exclamation

Originally posted by Flip
    Just do a search on the cd for *.cab, copy the directory that contains those files to another cd and BAM, you have a copy of windows.
    I used to own a Computer from hp, that it came with the installation cd. It is windows 98 (not the second edition). when you insert the cd before the computer boot up. the cd would load and give you two options. either you want to repair the OS or do a clean install.

However, if you want to extract the windows file out. then, I think you are out of your luck. 'cause they encrypted in a file called "RAM.exe". I tried everything to extract the Windows file out, but I had no luck.

I suggest you get a copy of Windows 98se (not the first one, it sucked) somewhere. If you can get a copy of 2000, it is the best I have ever used.

Hope that helped.

Have a wonderful time at sharky!!!

Computer Maniac
    Current System:

Intel Core 2 Duo Q9550 @ 3.83Ghz with Zalman CNP9700TN, 8G OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 HPC, ASUS P5Q Deluxe, AMD HD4870, Soundblaster X-FI Extreme Music, Duo OCZ Vertex 60G (RAID 0), 500G Seagate SATA, LG 20x DVD burner, Samsung 20x DVD burner, Antec 900 w/Antec Trio 650W PSU, Dell 2408FPW LCD, Logitech Z5500 5.1 Speaker, Logitech G5 w/G15 keyboard

3DMark 2003 = 41732
    3DMark 2005 = 22648
    3DMark 2006 = 16148

This is GREAT People, thanks for ALL the help. When you say get a copy of Win98se do you mean an Upgrade W98se CD. I have 1 of those!! I bought it leagaly couple of years ago. So will my W98se Upgrade work??
    Again All, thank you so very much..Paul D

Originally posted by cooldep
    This is GREAT People, thanks for ALL the help. When you say get a copy of Win98se do you mean an Upgrade W98se CD. I have 1 of those!! I bought it leagaly couple of years ago. So will my W98se Upgrade work??
    Again All, thank you so very much..Paul D
    You can use the upgrade disk, however you will need an older version of windows. During the install, windows will ask you to insert and older version of windows just to verify you own it. It won't use the older version so you'll still get a clean install.
    "Programming graphics in X is like finding the square root of PI using Roman numerals."
    -Henry Spencer

Hi SourDaisy, the only problem I have then is an older version of Windows. It would have to be Win95 I guess and I only have that on a IBM Aptive System Recovery CD but when I did a clean install on my IBM when it asked for an earlier version of windows I have a Microsoft Windows 95 Companion. That worked as an earlier version for my Aptiva clean install of 98se. I think I'm stuck unless I can get a copy of a OS somewhere. Thanks SourDaisy

cooldep, I wouldn't think the companion disk would work but hey, I've never tried it. If it worked for you before it might work again. You could at least try it, you have nothing to lose, right? If it doens't work, well then just carry on till you can get an older version (BTW Win3.1 works too).
    -Henry Spencer

Okay SourDaisy, I'll just have to see how or where I can get a copy of an earlier Windows
    Thank you for all your wonderful help.
    Paul

Mako Shark
    Did you look to see if you have the oem copy of win98 on your hard drive? 100MB of files in windows\options\cabs is the oem copy. Use it.

Hi Russ, okay now, I went to my Hard Drive Windows/Options/Cabs & I have the Cab folder full of files. What would I do then, backup a certain file or that Cab folder? Then can you explain how to use it to do my Clean Install of 98se!
    Thanks Russ,,
    PS. Sorry I'm having so much trouble understanding this.

Paul, in that folder, check to see if you have setup.exe. If you do, you're in luck.

Burn all those files to a cd. Make a Win98 Emergency Boot Disk so you're floppy will have cdrom drivers. Then, restart the computer with the floppy in the drive. Partition/format your drive and when you're done, go the cdrom and just run setup.exe to start the installation.
    -Henry Spencer

Hi SourDaisy,,I have setup.exe so thats AWESOME. Now I just burn all the files in the Cab folder to a CD. SD, it says at the bottom of the Cabs folder that the contents of it has 5.57KB in it, does that sound right? In other words I copy ALL the files in cabs to CD, correct
    Thank you very much SourDaisy,,
    Paul D