Should be a simple one, but I just can't.....

Sharky Forums

Thread: Should be a simple one, but I just can't.....

Reef Shark

Should be a simple one, but I just can't.....

1. Tell my wife that I'm in love with her sister.
    2. Move out of my parents house.
    3. Copy a file from one hard disk to another.

If you answered #3 you are correct!! Seriously though since my burner took a crap, I have a spare hard disk that I use to back my stuff on for formatting time. Anyway, today fairs much different as there are 13 files (most mp3's) that give me the error message like access denied file is write protected or in use by another program. Yeah, you know the error. What the hell?! It is Not in use by another program and I never write-protected it. I'm the administrator on this machine and I copied the file from my wifes desktop to the shared doc's folder and I then logged my wife off and tried to move the files to my other hard disk. The disk isn't full or anything. I've tried it all but now need your help. Thank you so much in advance.

Ultra Great White Shark!! richardginn's Avatar
    Sometimes to solve that mistake all you might have to do is to power down the computer than restart the thing and try to use that file first thing.

One thing though, what file is this that you are trying to work with.
    Last edited by richardginn; 12-29-2002 at 07:29 PM.
    www.myeducational plan.com-come see my plan to fix the USA educational system. I hope this is sig legal. Major Site Design Update on July 18, 2006. On June 18, 2009 passed the 10,000 post mark. December 24, 2009: Major Theme change and more....

couple of things:

will it let you move them one at a time? it might be one file causing the trouble

have you got kazaa or similar running? as they are mp3's someone might be downloading that will give the sharing / in use message

will it let you copy those files to another folder on the current drive then move them?

do you really need those files

could you not get a mate to tell her your in love with her sister?
    Drive it like you stole it

My System

Coolermaster ATC 201 SX2
    AMD 2200
    Albatron KX400+
    3D Prophet 4000XT
    Crucial DDR 2100 512Mb
    Maxtor 80 and 30 GB HDD
    19" Monitor

Reef Shark

Thanks for the quick responses but...

I've tried all of your suggestions and still get the error message. Oh, and they are mostly mp3 files I'm trying to back up. I can't move or copy them anywhere!! This is getting weird. I'm going to slowly shut down all background processes and see if that works. Wish me luck. thanks guys!!