Best Cell Phone Service - Page 4

Sharky Forums

View Poll Results: Which Cellular Service do you Prefer?

Voters
278. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sprint PCS

32 11.51%
  • Verizon

87 31.29%
  • T-Mobile

31 11.15%
  • mLife

13 4.68%
  • Cingular

33 11.87%
  • Other

34 12.23%
  • I hate my service

48 17.27%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Cell Phone Service

Well, that sucks that you actually called in about it first...if you knew who you talked to at the call center that said they would give it to you at that price, then they would have to give it to you.

One common thing I think we can agree on here is that cell phone companies in general are a ripoff...

The money you send in to a company every month to use their service is mostly profit. Of course, a certain amount has to go to pay the employees, maintain the system, and expand into new areas, but most is just profit. Like Alltel...they just had $1,000,000,000 laying around, and so they decided to use it to put up more towers. Where the flip did they get a billion dollars though??? Its getting to the point where theres so much competition though, they have to offer more and more for the same price.

Im pretty well sick of the cell phone business...I HATE CELL PHONES! I hate talking about them! I hate selling them! And I hate getting yelled at becuause the people at the cell phone company dont know what their doing! And of course, Im burnt out with people too...any job where you work with the public does that to you eventualy.
    New Rig: Pentium 120@120Mhz (fanless heat sink), 16MB EDO DRAM, S3 Trio 64V+ PCI 1MB, 1.2GB Western Digital HD, 8X TEAC CD-ROM, TEAC Floppy Drive, Aztec 14.4 Modem/Sound Galaxy Washington 16 Sound Card Combo, 150-Watt AT PSU, Packard Bell Desktop Case, Packard Bell 15" VGA Monitor

I have AT&T, I live in a very rural and mountainous state so, it doesn't really matter what service provider i have i am never gonna get service in most of the state. but were i live, in Huntington, WV I get excellent service, usually... when i can get a call through. at&t has leased out their towers around here to a company giving unlimited minutes day or night as long as you call in state. this being a college town guess what provider kids are using? other than that no complaint, customer service has always been really good and helpful and i got a pretty kick arse plan. wished they had better phones. I have a nokia 8265 and its an excellent phone. m-life is still too expensive compared to my digital plan so, i am stuck with my current phone, i am just waiting for some nice tri-mode phones to come out.
    Last edited by tituswolf; 10-10-2003 at 02:27 AM.
    My Computer: Lian Li PK7,Q9650@3.8ghz(9x422) Asus P5Q Pro,4GB pc1066 OCZ Reaper, x2 WD SATA 640GB,WD 750gb Black, XFX 5850, Corsair TX750 PS,AC97 Sound,Samsung SATA DVD-RW
    Marshall University, Xbox Live: TWolf79, PSN: DH779,XFire:tituswolf, Steam ID:hd779
    Games I'm playing:COD:WAW(PC),TF2(PC)
    Sharky Extreme 3DMark Team

lordzortec - no hard feelings man, but yeah it definetly sucks that they told me one thing on the phone then another when i got there, that was the whole point of calling first...i live by san diego state, 4pm, classes getting out, people getting off work...i was stuck in the middle of an intersection for 15 minutes because the onramp a half a mile away was so packed with cars getting on interstate 8, plus theres a signal light, thats what pissed me off was the whole wasting my time thing, if they would have said "no you'll have to wait 4 to 6 months and this is why" i would have been like "cool, glad i called first....take care, see ya"

I'm quite happy with Verizon. The only thing I can fault them with is their limited selection of phones, and the weak signal inside my house. Everywhere else I get a good signal. I need to call that "can you hear me now?" dude.

Reef Shark
    I'm paying real close attention to this thread. My Sprint cell does everything but make a phone call. And if I do actually get somewhere that the phone will work and have to use it, the bill is going to come in over 100 bucks instead of the regular 40.
    So it looks like they're all basically pretty lame with maybe ATT being a little less lame?
    I've been ripped off by phone companies so much that I'm a little gun shy. MCI sent me a calling card that I used on vacation to call mom on her birthday. They didn't tell me it was 1.50 a minute plus a 2.50 connect fee so they score a 50 dollar phone call and loose a customer forever. Amazing how these corporate guys thing they're so clever and their customers are idiots that they can manipulate with 'plans' and doubletalk.
    I can give you all a tip on regular long distance. Big Red Wire..a flat 4 cents a minute, no fees, no catches..nothing. You have to put it on a credit card so they can save on billing but my phone bill is a sane price for the first time ever. I've tried them all and somehow the other guys always figure out a way to turn the bill into a 100 dollar payment no matter what you do.

well we all have one thing to look forward to, and thats 11/24

Nov. 24 is the deadline for cellular carriers to offer number portability in the top 100 U.S. markets. In other words, starting on that day, consumers will be able to switch cell-phone providers without losing their assigned cell-phone numbers. The industry is facing an enormous shift. The Management Network Group predicts that 30 million "ports" will take place in the first year alone, with 4 million occurring just around holiday time.
    now people will be able to jump carriers and KEEP their numbers, with this im predicting/hoping that the days of 1 and 2 year contracts....contracts all together will go away and we will have a more landline type atmosphere when it comes to mobile phones, like going month to month like you do now with your home phone carrier, same price but you can bail whenever u want and switch companies with no penalty. also someone else has predicted companies will come out with a "we will pay your contract penalties if you switch to us" promo... others say the wireless phone market is already too competetive and companies are making razor thin profits if any at all, i call that boloney! DO NOT sign up for a new contract now because u will be stuck in it until it expires, the other customers whos contracts have expired will be preferential treatment due to the real possibility the carrier will lose them due to their "fck you" attitude towards most customers.... the reason companies have treated customers like shyt is that they know they wont leave because they will have to get a new number and people dont want that so the carriers hold it over our heads, not so come 11/24 (hopefully)

the funny thing is wireless carriers (aside from verizon) are charging customers for cell phone number portability while they fight against it. verizon is the only company promoting it and not charging for it, at the beginning they were the biggest opponent of it but someone else said it is due to some research they did and they found out they had the most to gain by it....either way its good news for consumers....

oh, and cell phone companies BANK on large accounts such as businesses where the employees have had their numbers and their contacts know the number, thus making it nearly impossible to switch cariers because they would all have to get new numbers and let hundreds, maybe thousands of people know the new number etc....thats another reason they dont give a rats a s s about u or me...we dont have tens or hundreds of phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549
    In Canada you'd probably have to wait at least 30 days to get a broken arm fixed.

Biostar TZ77B
    i5-3570k@4.5ghz
    Hyper 212+
    16GB Samsung DDR3
    Dual 19" Syncmaster 953bw
    Samsung DVD-RW
    480GB PNY SSD
    1.5 TB WD Green SATA
    3.0 TB WD Red
    3.0 TB WD Red
    3.0 TB WD Red
    3.0 TB Seagate

3.0 TB Seagate External
    4.0 TB Seagate External

Originally posted by unclescrooge
    i've kept cingular only because of the number. i've had it for seven years and don't want to change it. once this number portability rule goes into effect, you can bet your that i'll be hunting for a better plan and service.
    I believe you can transfer numbers from one carrierto another now, we looked into that option when looking for new phones over the summer but cingular gave us a great deal on 2 v60t phones.
    • Antec True550 PSU
    • AthlonXP 2100+ JIUHB @210x11.5 2.05v
    • SLK-800 w/TT Casefan II
    • Epox 8rda+ v1.1
    • 2x256 Kingston HyperX 3500 (7,3,3,2)
    • ATI Radeon 9800pro -> xt (405/360)
    • Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    • 2x40 Gig Seagate Barracuda 7200
    • Creative 6x DVD
    • Sony 16/10/40 CDRW
    • Creative Megaworks 650s

As of November 27, you can transfer a cell phone number from one carrier to another...in fact, rumor has it that you can transfer your HOME number to your cell phone. I havent confirmed that one yet, but it makes sense.
    New Rig: Pentium 120@120Mhz (fanless heat sink), 16MB EDO DRAM, S3 Trio 64V+ PCI 1MB, 1.2GB Western Digital HD, 8X TEAC CD-ROM, TEAC Floppy Drive, Aztec 14.4 Modem/Sound Galaxy Washington 16 Sound Card Combo, 150-Watt AT PSU, Packard Bell Desktop Case, Packard Bell 15" VGA Monitor

you speak the truth. Its November 24th tho

Abit NF7-S|

Mobile AMD XP2500+ @ 2.4 GHZ|
    Crucial 512 DDR 2700|
    ATI Radeon 9600 256MB|
    52/12/32x Lite-on |
    180 GB Total Space|Windows XP Pro

G4 12" PowerBook Superdrive

I use Cingular and I have been happy with it.

Originally posted by masteraleph
    I'm going to say either Cingular or AT&T, depending on where you live (my hometown doesn't have any Cingular reception...that's what I get for living in the largest demographic cul-de-sac in the US).

OTOH, I'm currently using Sprint PCS. Doesn't work as well at home as the AT&T, but for some reason AT&T (and Verizon for that matter) essentially don't work at all in my dorm (and you'd think that somewhere like UPenn would have universally good reception).
    Freshman? Or i'm just not getting why UPenn would have 'universally good reception'?

Hammerhead Shark BremenCulhaven's Avatar
    Originally posted by GenoG
    you speak the truth. Its November 24th tho
    Also this is only available in select areas right now, top metropolitan. So, if you live in rural area chances are you going to have to wait until this next summer to port your number to a new carrier.
    e6600 o/c 3.6Ghz| Evga 680i | XMS2 Dominator 2GB | 2 150GB Raptors RAID0 | XION 103 | Plextor 740A

AMD 2500+ barton@3200+ o/c| pc3700 1GB Infineon/Micron CAS2| Radeon 9500 128mb mod/9700| Abit AN7 | Maxtor 120GB/200GB | Logitech Z-560 | Audigy gamer hacked 2 Audigy2 | Linksys router| 22" 2020u

2nd system:
    AMD1700+| 512mb pc3700 Infineon/Micron CAS2| Xtasy Cinema (Geforce2 mx400)| Epox 8rda+| WD 20GB, 80GB Maxtor| Yamaha YST-M10| onboard sound| Plextor 12/10/32a| 19" Princeton

i have AT&T and have had them for almost 3 year now. have never had another provider, but have had no need to switch. most of my friends have nextel, but a couple of them (one in particular, he's now switched to verizon) have had some serious billing headaches with them.

AT&T on the other hand, has goofed on my bill only twice, and when they did i called them and they immediately knew what the problems was, fixed the problem without any hassle whatsoever, and even gave me credit towards my next bill, because the billing problem they had with my account specifically would likely re-occur on the next month. and it did, but i was covered....

to me AT&T really seems to know what's going on, so i'm very happy with them.
    Abit IP35 Pro - Core2Duo E8400 - 4GB Crucial Ballistix 1066 - ATI 4850HD
    - 2xRaptor 150GB RAID-0

Dave? Dave?! Dave's not here...

Verizon seems to be pretty good to me. Haven't had any problems with them although I don't use a cellphone that much.
    The Ultimate Upgrade:ASUS A7N8X| AMD Athlon XP Barton 2800+| 2x 256 MB Corsair XMS pc3200 RAM| SLK900U with 92mm Panaflo| Sapphire Radeon 9800 SE 128 mb| Sound Blaster Audigy XGamer| Samsung SyncMaster 900IFT| Logitech Elite Keyboard| Logitech MX700 Mouse|Antec 1080 Case| 4x 80mm Panaflo| Pioneer DVD-R/RW| Maxtor 80GB| DigitalDoc 5|

Sharky Folding@Home Website

Catfish
    Unlike some others on this board, I am VERY happy with Sprint PCS. The calls are always very clear, and I never have a problem with my coverage in my area. If I got outside of a big city, like to Wyoming (went there this summer) then it'll go to analog roam. Oh, and the customer service isn't too bad at all. If I messed up and went over on my phone bill by making too many calls, I just call them and yell at them like it's their fault. I once got $300 phone bill down to $50 by doing that.

As far as the other services go, here is the way I see it. I think the big three are cingular, verizon, and sprint, with some others close behind. As far as these three go, I think sprint has the best quality phones, cingular has the best plans, and verizon has the best coverage. That's the impression I get at least. Anyone else think differently?