D-Link Dl-604 Router Forwarding HELP!

Sharky Forums

Thread: D-Link Dl-604 Router Forwarding HELP!

Catfish

D-Link Dl-604 Router Forwarding HELP!

Hey

Can someone give me a heads up as to how to forward ports for a D-Link Dl-604 router.

Is it under Advanced > Firewall ?

If so..

Can someone explain the source and destination parts.
    Source would mean external ip?
    Destination would be internal comp ip, but it has a range, so can i say 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.101 so that both comps can use that port? And what is tcp/udp/icmp/* used for.

Thanks, help is very much apprecialted.
    Pentium 4 2.4B GHz
    ASUS P4PE-L Intel 845PE w/ LAN
    512MB PC-2700
    LeadTek WinFast GeForce4 TI 4400 128MB w/ TV-Out
    SB Audigy
    Samsung SyncMaster 955DF

Great White Shark
    The source IP and port represents the origin of the packet. Generally you don't care about the origin IP because you want to forward all traffic for a given port. It is the port that determins what service is being requested or application to send to packet to. See a list of common ports here.

For normal use you forward all incoming traffic for a given port to a private IP address and port. You cannot forward a single packet to several PCs. A typical forwarding entry would be to forward all incoming traffic on port 80 regardless of the IP to a private network PC at 192.168.x.x port 80. This allows a webserver behind the router to receive and respond to http requests.

I don't have a D-Link box so I can't tell you where the menu items are located.

Catfish
    Thanks, I noticed the forwarding didn't work at first, but after updating firmware from 2.02 to 2.18 everything started to work.
    Pentium 4 2.4B GHz
    ASUS P4PE-L Intel 845PE w/ LAN
    512MB PC-2700
    LeadTek WinFast GeForce4 TI 4400 128MB w/ TV-Out
    SB Audigy
    Samsung SyncMaster 955DF