Computer Died? **HELP**

Sharky Forums

Thread: Computer Died? **HELP**

Computer Died? **HELP**

Alright, I'm playing my game and then all of a sudden my computer just shuts off. I did smell some smoke. I try to turn it back on, all fans are running, but no monitor display. I tried a new monitor, no luck, new vid card, no luck. I tested out different ram, no luck. I take the ram out as a whole, and hear no beeps at all. I don't see a light either once i try to turn the computer on, but I hear it running. I'm thinking it is my motherboard.. but not too sure.

Thanks in advance.
    CPU: A64 X2 3800+
    Mobo: DFI Infinity NF UltraII-M2
    Memory: 2gb Corsair XMS2 PC2 5400
    Video Card: eVGA GeForce 7950GT KO 512mb
    Sound Card: SB Audigy
    PSU: 600w OCZ GameXStream
    HD: WD 160gb 7200rpm SATA
    Case: Sunbeam Transformer
    Monitor: 19" Widescreen Hanns-G

Reef Shark
    I would test everything one at a time on another motherboard to see if they work. Check the capacitors on the motherboard and see if any are blown or leaking.

Remove all PCI devices as well. Last time this happened to me, I found a big hole in my NIC

By the Power of Greyskull Colossus's Avatar
    I read about people having holes in there motherboard or nics, but I can say it never happened to me!

How do you burn a hole through hardware like that? Do you have pics of that nic.. I would more then interested into seeing it!

Intel I9 14900K|ASUS - MAXIMUS Z790 HERO|ASUS GTX 1080 Ti|64GB G.Skill|(3) Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVME |Custom water cooling||Alienware AW3423DW 34" OLED

288TB Plex server (UNRAID)
    (18) WD 16TB Red

Great White Shark
    How do you burn a hole through hardware like that? Do you have pics of that nic.. I would more then interested into seeing it!
    Faulty hardware, not inserted all the way, power outtage? I good deal with burning up an NIC because they're like $5, but a mobo would be...a good excuse to upgrade!

dodgy caps on a board can cause that problem. Ive heard about caps on mobo's that just burned rp, or even blew up leaving an inch think *** through the pcb...

Originally posted by Colossus
    I read about people having holes in there motherboard or nics, but I can say it never happened to me!

i have never seen one either, although i have seen quite a few burnt out hardware devices.
    BUT then again caps have so much charge in them that if they explode properly they can make a hole in pcb.
    but going back to the thread, i think your motherboard is fried buddy! if you smelt something burning then something did burn and most probably its the board itself.

Originally posted by goatsnuts
    Yesterday I tried to fit the extra USB connector to my motherboard to gain two extra ports. It came with the board. So I hooked it up and booted up. Perhaps it was a good thing I stayed on the floor looking into the computer

I powered up and thought "hey, that's cool, there's an extra white LED on the board if you fit this connector"

The 'LED' got brighter and looked even more beautiful

Then the black smoke started to come out and the smell of frying components started to fill the room

I quickly switched off the switch on the back and removed the connector. Powered her back up again and here we are today, running great. Must've just fried the extra USB chip because the original two still work fine

I fully recommend AOpen motherboards. You can set them on fire safe in the knowledge that they will power up again

Still running on this board though
    Pentium 133 Mhz, 32 mb RAM, 2mb Chips N Tech Video Card, 2.1 Gb Hard drive, 10x CD-ROM, 33k Dynalink Modem, Windows 98

Back to the topic, I also think the board is fried as well

Sorry fella, do hope I'm wrong.
    Pentium 133 Mhz, 32 mb RAM, 2mb Chips N Tech Video Card, 2.1 Gb Hard drive, 10x CD-ROM, 33k Dynalink Modem, Windows 98

Hey guys, thanks alot for your help. Appreciate it
    CPU: A64 X2 3800+
    Mobo: DFI Infinity NF UltraII-M2
    Memory: 2gb Corsair XMS2 PC2 5400
    Video Card: eVGA GeForce 7950GT KO 512mb
    Sound Card: SB Audigy
    PSU: 600w OCZ GameXStream
    HD: WD 160gb 7200rpm SATA
    Case: Sunbeam Transformer
    Monitor: 19" Widescreen Hanns-G

I sent it back to the customer, never saw it again. It damaged the board as well (or the board blew the NIC) - I have the board at home, unplugged, and it's ridiculously unstable to say the least!

It was from a school computer, so some kid would have shoved a metal pen in there, or something. Needless to say, it was NOT warranty