Sharky Forums

Thread: Log in as an administrator in windows 98

Expensive Sushi

I am having a hell of a time with a clients computer that has windows 98 on it. The problem is his quicken software has become corrupt and not operational. I need to uninstall the program and reinstall it. The problem is whenever I try to go in and uninstall it, I get an error that says I do not have sufficient privaleges to do so, and that I need an administrator account to remove it.

My question is how do I get on to an administrator account when one has never been created, and can I disable this protection option somehow for uninstalling programs?

Thanks,
    Bulls

Are you sure it's Win98? As far as I know you don't really have a admin account in Win98. Unless Win98 has surprises for me in 2003.

Expensive Sushi
    No it is stock windows 98.......no windows updates done on it whatsoever. I just need to disable the administrative policies on the system

Currently: Dallas, US. Originally: Monterrey, Mexico
    95/98/ME don't have different accounts. Unless 98 has some serious problems and tells you you can't uninstall
    Last edited by freedonX; 06-06-2003 at 11:06 PM.
    "Est Solarus Oth Mithas"
    My Honor is My Life

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination

There is no "administrator" account on Windows 98. If the computer is part of a domain, there could be system policies applied by the domain, though. (I don't recall if any of them would prevent the uninstallation of a program.)

Have you tried contacting Quicken or checking their web site, or doing a Google search on the exact text of the error message?

Expensive Sushi
    Did both with no success. There are no support articles on quickens site that relate to my problem, and It cost 20 bucks to use their over the phone support. Here are some articles I found on google for administration in win98.

Within Windows 98, you can modify the registry to disable the AutoAdminLogon in Winlogon so that Windows 98 will not automatically log the user onto the workstation without any credentials. To start regedit, go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Winlogon\AutoAdminLogon.

Set the string value entry to 0 to disable automatic logon.
    Create a new string value called "AutoAdminLogon" and set it to "1" to enable automatic login.
    Create a new string value called "DefaultUsername" and set it to username of the default user.
    Create a new string value called "DefaultPassword" and set it to match the password of the default user.
    Restart Windows and the system should automatically logon.

Windows 95, 98, or Me
    1. From the Start menu, select Settings, then Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Passwords, then click Change Windows Password.
    3. Type the current password in the "Old Password" field. Then press the Enter key three times to bypass the fields "New Password" and "Confirm New Password".
    4. Select the User Profiles tab. Click the button next to All users of this PC use the same preferences and desktop settings.
    5. Click OK, then restart the computer.