XP, should I purchase the full version or the upgrade?

Sharky Forums

Thread: XP, should I purchase the full version or the upgrade?

XP, should I purchase the full version or the upgrade?

Going to purchase XP home version and wanted to know which one i should get. The upgrade version i understand you need Win95, Win98 or Win ME. Do you need the key codes for these versions?? Or should i just purchase the full version? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    NEW RIG 8.25.2003

Abit IC7-G
    Intel 3.0c Ghz Processor
    Cosair Memory XMS Extreme Series PC3200 1 Gig(2-512mb)
    500 gb Seagate
    Antec Server Case with 430 watt true psu
    ATI Radeon 3800 Series
    NEC ND-3520A 16X DVD+/-RW
    LiteOn DVD-ROM
    Yamaha CDRW
    WinXP home

Wow! 10 years old...another new hard drive and new psu.

"Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you"

Hammerhead Shark posthumous_GRIN's Avatar
    Get the upgrade, you don't need the codes for the older versions, just the original cd, which you will be asked to put in the drive.

I have seen enough problems with OS upgrades in my IT career to convince me that full version is the best way to go. Yes, it costs more than an upgrade but its worth it to avoid the headaches.
    “If my answers frighten you, you should cease asking scary questions.”

ASUS P5WD2 Premium MB w 3.2GHz Pentium 4 |Cosair XMS2 1GB PC2 5400 RAM| Dual WD 160GB SATA HDD|Sony 16x Dual-Layer DVD-RW|MSI NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT

Reef Shark
    Isn't the upgrade just a full version that checks to see if you owned an earlier version? Seems a friend told me he installed it straight onto a new hard drive and all he had to do was stick the old disk in for a second to prove he was upgrading.
    If thats the case I can't imagine spending and extra hundred bucks on the full version.

that's what i heard too. you should be able to install winXP on a freshly formatted hdd. the only extra step during installation would be that it would ask you to insert the setup cd of original (older) version of windows you had just to verify it is indeed an upgrade.
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE | 16GB Corsair Vengenance | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 | ATI HD 4850 | Crucial C300 128GB | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Samsung F3 1.5TB | LG GH22LS30 DVD | Antec NeoPower 550W | Antec P180 | Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
    Apple Macbook Pro (13.3") | Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.26GHz | 2GB DDR3 1066 | nvidia 9400M | OSX "Snow Leopard"
    Currently playing; EvE Online - Incarna (PC/Mac) | League of Legends (PC)

go for the full version and a clean install, DON'T go for a upgrade i hate them!

Originally posted by iantaylor
    go for the full version and a clean install, DON'T go for a upgrade i hate them!
    My thoughts, EXACTLY.
    Spoiler

You can do a clean install with the upgrade version, though. If it's like previous Windows upgrade versions, it will just prompt you to insert a previous version Windows CD during installation to confirm you actually have a previous qualifying version of Windows.

Reef Shark
    Originally posted by SkyDog
    You can do a clean install with the upgrade version, though. If it's like previous Windows upgrade versions, it will just prompt you to insert a previous version Windows CD during installation to confirm you actually have a previous qualifying version of Windows.
    Skydog is right. The upgrade CD is bootable and a clean install can be performed. Simply pop in the CD and when it asks you for an old version of windows put in a copy of 98, 2000, ME , NT 4.0, or 95. The setup will recognize the CD and you will be asked to put the other CD back in the drive and the set up will continue. Don't waste your money, for I have used the upgrade and it works just fine.
    Pentium 4 2.8GHz w/ 1MB L2 cache
    ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
    1024MB PC3200 DDR RAM (Dual Channel)
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 128MB DDR
    8x NEC DVD-RW
    16x Samsung DVD-ROM
    120GB Samsung 7200 RPM SATA
    120GB Western Digital 7200 RPM
    Asound 4 Ports Nway Switch
    Netgear WG111 54 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter

3dMark2001 SE: 16183 Marks
    3dMark2003 : 5798 Marks