Random Blue Screens in XP Pro

Sharky Forums

Thread: Random Blue Screens in XP Pro

Catfish

Random Blue Screens in XP Pro

My system seemed stable. Except totally randomly it will crash to a blue screen of death with a random incomprehensible error message. ie bad pool spooler, there are others but nothing consistent. I'm am never doing anything special or loading anything at the time, nothing particular is open, its completely random. Any ideas?

Great White Shark
    The stop code, a hex number following the word stop is the key to determining what the problem is. You can search for causes, workarounds and fixes on the MS Knowledgebase using the stop code.

Have you checked your system event log for warnings and errors?
    The logs can be viewed with Event Viewer accessed via the Computer Management MMC.

That is a classic sign of bad memory, but you never know. Download memtest and see what happens. http://www.memtest86.com/
    The Money Trap = Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ASUS P6X58D-E | 3 x 2GB G.Skill DDR3 2000 6-9-6-24 | EVGA GTX 580 DS SC | OCZ Vertex 2 90GB SSD | WD VelociRaptor | Klipsch ProMedia | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Antec TPQ-1200W | Dell U2711 2560 x 1440 27" | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | APC RS1500

Originally posted by OS-Wiz
    That is a classic sign of bad memory, but you never know. Download memtest and see what happens. http://www.memtest86.com/
    Had a similar problem once as he mentioned. I was bored one day and set the BIOS settings to optimal default. Problem disappeared....

Mako Shark
    Should memtest run on a Canterwood board (ASUS P4C800) if everything is okay?

Mako Shark
    Recently had a similar problem on an ASUS P4C800 Dlx -- turned out to be bus contention issues between the SATA RAID and another installed PCI bus mastering controller.