Graphics Problems...Any suggestions? - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graphics Problems...Any suggestions?

Radeon 9700s are brilliantly designed with a shim that is significantly higher than the GPU this is filled in with a nice fat heatpad (and in the case of my 9700 pro they had even left the wax paper on the bottom half of the heat pad)- so the design does not promote good heat transfer.
    This combined with your generally high temps is probably causing the problem.
    You can test this by touching the back of the card behind the GPU I think you will find it is very hot.
    I think you have either got to RMA the card as unusable or take your life in your hands (or card) carefully remove the HS take the shim off, clean off the thermal pad and carefully reseat the HS with some suitable thermal goop.

I have done the latter (but my card actually worked properly in the first place and still does))but I think I would advise RMAing it.
    Newest comp DFI nf2 ultra xp1500-m @223*10.5 or XP2500-M barton @230*10.5
    new comp- 8RDA+, xp2100 TbredB @202*11, 2*twinmos 3200 (non winbond), 9700 pro, Maxtor 9 plus 80gb &120GB, Hitachi CML174SWB 17" LCD
    Old comp KT7A Axia 1ghz @1.38GHZ,
    GF3 ti200, Compaq 910 19" Monitor

Mako Shark
    Did a search and found this thread. I have the exact same thing happening. I have 2 9800np's and one works great overclocked and the other is not oc'd and gets the "shattered glass" look on the screen after a few minutes of gaming. I felt the card and it doesn't seem too hot at all- the HSF is as warm or even a little warmer than the back of the card so redoing the thermal grease won't help I don't think . Memory chips get warm- not hot. Im going to send it back to ATI and let them sort it out.
    Last edited by scott; 12-17-2003 at 07:03 AM.

Goldfish
    mine doesn't seem hot to the touch either, and yet the problems seem to have gone away with the case off. I think it must be a poorly attached heat sink. Haven't had time to do any extensive testing or fiddling with it yet.

Expensive Sushi
    I had the same problem for a while with my computer.... so i took off the side of the case... got a more powerful fan for the cpu itself... (that alone reduced my heat by a ton... then i put 2 80mm fans front and back in the case... now it runs perfect...... also if you dont want to do all that... a friend of mine uses a blower fan and faces it right at the video card.. that works perfect

Get the card replaced...

Mako Shark
    UPDATE:

Well I think I sorted my problem out. The card must have needed to get hot enough long enough to get a phase change on the cheap TIM pad ATI uses. I ran 3dmark looping and after about 40 tests everything cleared up. Still running it as I type this on another machine but I think it's going to be fine.
    Last edited by scott; 12-18-2003 at 08:21 PM.

Glad it seems to be sorted out- odd tho' if the HS was making bad contact with the GPU then the back of the card should have been getting very hot.
    Newest comp DFI nf2 ultra xp1500-m @223*10.5 or XP2500-M barton @230*10.5
    new comp- 8RDA+, xp2100 TbredB @202*11, 2*twinmos 3200 (non winbond), 9700 pro, Maxtor 9 plus 80gb &120GB, Hitachi CML174SWB 17" LCD
    Old comp KT7A Axia 1ghz @1.38GHZ,
    GF3 ti200, Compaq 910 19" Monitor

Mako Shark
    Originally posted by Lord Vetinari
    Glad it seems to be sorted out- odd tho' if the HS was making bad contact with the GPU then the back of the card should have been getting very hot.
    I was checking it after shutting down immediatly after the screen started going crazy- so I guess I wasn't letting it get hot enough. Ran 3dmark looping over 700 tests and it runs fine now. Whaddaya know, 3DMark has some usefulness afterall.

Rise from your grave....

I actually logged back into the forum just to find this post in 2019... BECAUSE I STILL HAVE THE HARDWARE.
    I’m very discrete. I have no code of brand loyalty. I will build anything, anywhere; Gaming PC, workstation, HTPC, doesn’t matter. I just love building.

Hey, how are ya?! It's great to 'see' someone back from the good old days of Sharky's! I've not been around for the past few years due to my password (or error with login), a mod here helped me out with that. And dude.....WOW, just WOW! An Athlon 2600+ and a 9700Pro, I had an Athlon 2800+ and a Radeon 9700Pro followed by a 9800Pro, I think I broke 20k in 3DMark01 (the one with the Matrix-like shootout) with that rig....can't recall if I had the 9700Pro or 9800Pro when I broke 20k though. I hope more guys from the good old days turn up, I do miss Colossus, soupnazi, Flutie98, Vertices (?).....hope to see at least some of them turning up.
    Save Ana
    http://www.jpages.net/HelpAna.htm

Main Rig - All AMD build: R9 3900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 8GB 3600CL17 Patriot ViperRGB | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung QVO SATA SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 6TB WD Black | Corsair HX 1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Samsung LC49HG90DMEXX 32:9 | iFi Micro iDSD BL | LG SL8YG Soundbar | 64bit Win10 Pro

It’s nice to see a little life in the old place, and I had to recover an old AOL address to reset my password. That said life is good. All grown up with a family of my own now. My 6 month old just started crawling today. I’ll have installing AIOs by age 3. ^_^

To conclude this thread...I RMA’d that card for another. Fixed the problem.

I still have the 2600+ setup. Paired it with a 9800PRO and a pair of Voodoo 2s. Put an old Aureal A3D card in it too. I have a Barton 2500+ board and CPU that I might rekindle with an old 4200TI.

My latest project is a DOS/Win 95 rig with a P200MMX, Rage 3D, Awe 64 Gold, and Voodoo 2.
    I’m very discrete. I have no code of brand loyalty. I will build anything, anywhere; Gaming PC, workstation, HTPC, doesn’t matter. I just love building.