Possible to hack a computer through an online game?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Possible to hack a computer through an online game?

Tiger Shark

Possible to hack a computer through an online game?

Alright, I ran into something interesting today and am trying to piece it together.

Some of my friends and I play Desert Combat all the time, it's like the only game we play anymore. Anyhow, one of my friends was over today playing for a long time on one of my computers and he started exploiting map glitches (flying in Docks, wall hacking in Lost Village, amongst other things). Apparently he was talking smack and denying he was hacking to other players and so forth, and got some people mad.

While he was playing I was on a networked computer finding and downloading new maps for us to play and I didn't know he was doing that. Anyhow, I hear the instant message noise from my computer he was using and asked him to minimize D.C. and switch PC's so I could check it out.

At first, I thought it was a friend of mine who plays practical jokes on me, but after about 10 min it started to dawn on me that this guy was a real creep. I was able to piece it together later that it was someone that my friend ticked off when he was playing D.C. He even got some info from my HDD. I made my friend buy me a pack of CD-R's and we're backing up important files and formatting the HDD as I speak.

How could someone do this and how can I prevent this from happening again? It's just -- odd.
    No one cares about your signature

Reef Shark
    I don't understand why you think he hacked into your system. Just cuz he sent you instant messages does not mean a whole lot.
    Pentium 4 2.8GHz w/ 1MB L2 cache
    ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
    1024MB PC3200 DDR RAM (Dual Channel)
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 128MB DDR
    8x NEC DVD-RW
    16x Samsung DVD-ROM
    120GB Samsung 7200 RPM SATA
    120GB Western Digital 7200 RPM
    Asound 4 Ports Nway Switch
    Netgear WG111 54 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter

3dMark2001 SE: 16183 Marks
    3dMark2003 : 5798 Marks

Tiger Shark
    Originally posted by TheSpegmaster
    I don't understand why you think he hacked into your system. Just cuz he sent you instant messages does not mean a whole lot.
    Well maybe he didn't HACK into my system, but I know he saw (and opened) some files in My Documents folder... and that worried me enough.
    Last edited by Milo; 07-18-2003 at 09:34 PM.

Mako Shark
    Some of my friends and I play Desert Combat all the time, it's like the only game we play anymore. Anyhow, one of my friends was over today playing for a long time on one of my computers and he started exploiting map glitches (flying in Docks, wall hacking in Lost Village, amongst other things). Apparently he was talking smack and denying he was hacking to other players and so forth, and got some people mad.
    What a ****.

In some ways you got what you deserved - even though I would have been happier if the guy would have wiped your PC.
    If you really want 'em to be a single unit, duct tape your router to your modem. - Skydog 5/5/2005

MAIN - HP - e6300, 2GB DDR2, 300GB HDD, 250GB HDD, `6x DVD-RW, ATI X800GT, 500w Rosewill PSU

Work - eMachine T6520, A64 3400+, 1GB PC 3200, 300GB HDD, 16x DVD R/RW, CD-ROM, Via Envy Sound

HTPC - 2500XP, 1GB PC3200, 60GB HDD, 8x DVD R/RW, Via Envy Sound, ATI 9600PRO, 380w Antec PSU

SERVER - 1800XP, 512MB PC2100, 3x40GB HDD (RAID5), 2x40GB HDD (RAID1), DDS3 Tape Drive, 300w Enermax PSU

Tiger Shark
    Originally posted by irwincur

What a ****.

In some ways you got what you deserved - even though I would have been happier if the guy would have wiped your PC.
    Hey, I hate that kinda stuff too. If you knew me, you'd know that I would never hack like that. My friend has been kicked and banned from like 100 or so servers, but he keeps playing... I just call him an idiot and move on. He likes to play ay my house a lot because his computer is a piece of junk. So he created his own profile over here and when he's over he logs on. My only fault is I didn't monitor him when he was playing, and most of the day up to that point (AFAIK) he wasn't doing that crap.

If you ever wanna play me, I go by Furious Walnut in D.C. ICQ me if you ever wanna play. My ICQ is 247100980. I am a model gamer, seriously, I don't even take vehicles to planes.

Anyhow, back to the point. How does someone hack an online game? Maybe he was the admin and could see ips and went from there?

Milo

Mako Shark
    I was just giving you a hard time.
    If you really want 'em to be a single unit, duct tape your router to your modem. - Skydog 5/5/2005

MAIN - HP - e6300, 2GB DDR2, 300GB HDD, 250GB HDD, `6x DVD-RW, ATI X800GT, 500w Rosewill PSU

Work - eMachine T6520, A64 3400+, 1GB PC 3200, 300GB HDD, 16x DVD R/RW, CD-ROM, Via Envy Sound

HTPC - 2500XP, 1GB PC3200, 60GB HDD, 8x DVD R/RW, Via Envy Sound, ATI 9600PRO, 380w Antec PSU

SERVER - 1800XP, 512MB PC2100, 3x40GB HDD (RAID5), 2x40GB HDD (RAID1), DDS3 Tape Drive, 300w Enermax PSU

he could get your IP from the game then use one of many ways to access your computer, like IM program exploits, network shares that are open to the Internet, OS security exploits, etc...
    If your sig is longer than your post then type more.

Tiger Shark
    Originally posted by muisejt
    he could get your IP from the game then use one of many ways to access your computer, like IM program exploits, network shares that are open to the Internet, OS security exploits, etc...
    Well, more or less, it opened my eyes to a potential leak in my internet security. What can I do to prevent a hack in the future?

keep up to date on security patches for programs you use, use a firewall and virus scanner
    If your sig is longer than your post then type more.

Definitely make sure your updates are, well, up to date. I just installed an update this morning for DX...yes, DX. It is a security flaw that could allow some one to get into your system.
    Prince of the OC Crusaders

Intel i7 3.2GHz @ 4.24GHz
    Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3-1600 (quad channel)
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz
    Asus 20x DVD-RW DL DVD-RW

Originally posted by Un4given
    Definitely make sure your updates are, well, up to date. I just installed an update this morning for DX...yes, DX. It is a security flaw that could allow some one to get into your system.
    DX = Direct X?