refresh rates are horrible

Sharky Forums

Thread: refresh rates are horrible

Tiger Shark

Post refresh rates are horrible

when playing a game my refresh rates goes go default instead of what it is in windows, which is 100hz

in games it is 60hz, which really hurts my eyes

how do i fix this

[This message has been edited by trungd1 (edited December 30, 2001).]

Tiger Shark

bump

Goldfish

Lightbulb

In the game your playing your probaly at a higher resoulution thus your monitor cannot handle high refresh rates at high resolutions.Turn down the resolution in the game and see if that works.
    Oh, and before that you might want to try turning Vsync off because it makes your fps turn at the same speed as your refresh rate so if your PC can only get 60fps max then your refresh rate will be also 60fps.
    And if it's half-life your playing in and your using the command net_graph 1,2 or 3 then it will show you the max fps and not the refresh rate so got to your half-life directory select cstrike click on config.cfg and open it with wordpad then find max_fps.
    It should be set to a defult of 60fps ou 72.Anyway change it to 100.This however has nothing to do with your refresh rate it'll just get your fps up if you dont turn of Vsync.
    Hope it helps.
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ @ 1880Mhz
    Asus A7V333
    512Mb DDR-SDRAM PC2700 (Kingmax)
    2X 80gb Western Digital Caviar
    GeForce 3ti 200 @ 230/450
    Philips 17b 17" Monitor
    Enermax 435Watt PSU
    Volcano 7 CPU cooler
    Maxi Game Theater XP 6.1
    Plextor 40/12/40A
    Pioneer 16/40X DVD
    Pinnacle PCTV
    Lian-Li PC72 Case
    Asus IPanel

Originally posted by zip.52:
    In the game your playing your probaly at a higher resoulution thus your monitor cannot handle high refresh rates at high resolutions.Turn down the resolution in the game and see if that works.
    Oh, and before that you might want to try turning Vsync off because it makes your fps turn at the same speed as your refresh rate so if your PC can only get 60fps max then your refresh rate will be also 60fps.
    And if it's half-life your playing in and your using the command net_graph 1,2 or 3 then it will show you the max fps and not the refresh rate so got to your half-life directory select cstrike click on config.cfg and open it with wordpad then find max_fps.
    It should be set to a defult of 60fps ou 72.Anyway change it to 100.This however has nothing to do with your refresh rate it'll just get your fps up if you dont turn of Vsync.
    Hope it helps.
    Do not turn vsync off! It doesn't do anything for you when you play games, except create tearing. The only reason you should turn it off should be when you benchmark your system.

You won't gain any noticeable performance in your games with vsync off. Sure your fps will be higher, but you can't see it due to it being capped by your monitor's refresh rate.

------------------
    • T-Bird 1.2GHz
    • ECS K7S5A
    • Asus V7700
    • 512 MB PC133 RAM
    • SB Live! Value
    • Pioneer 16x DVD
    • IBM Deskstar 40GB 7200 RPM @ ATA/100
    • Dual boot Win98SE/Win2k Pro.
    Core i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 - Club3D HD 7850 Royal Queen 1 GB @ 1075/1250 - SyncMaster XL2370 - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Asus Xonar DS - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - WD Red 3TB - Pioneer DVR-216DBK - Fractal Design Define R3 - Corsair 620HX PSU - Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Expensive Sushi

This was a common problem I used to have. If we assume that your monitor is capable of higher refresh rates than 60Hz we need to update the default settings i.e. each resolution/colour depth be it 8 bit, 16 bit, 24 bit or 32 bit has it's own default refresh rate - usually 60Hz. To ensure that we are running at an acceptable refresh rate (75Hz+) we need to update the Display settings.

I will give instructions how to do this for Windows 98 only but generally the different versions of Windows the Display is accessible by right-clicking the desktop or through the Control Panel. And also, I have a the standard Nvidia drivers, so everything should be in a standard place. You be able to translate the instruction to another driver type ATI, Voodoo3 etc. quite simply.

So open the Control Panel
    Click on Display
    Click the Settings Tab

You should get details of your colour depth and Screen area.

What we need to do now is go through a few steps repeatedly until we have updated all the Colour depths/Screen Sizes.

1) Click the colours down arrow and select 256 colors.

2) Click on the Screen area slider and move to 640x480 (or the lowest resolution).

3) Click Apply - The screen will change to the lower resolution.

4) Click the Advanced button.

5) Click the Adapter tab - This should tell you your current refresh rate.

6) Click the down arrow across from the refresh rate this give you a list of refresh rates e.g.

Adapter Default (Usually 60Hz)
    Optimal (Usually taken from the monitor defaults)
    60Hz
    70Hz
    72Hz
    75Hz
    85Hz
    100Hz
    120Hz

If it doesn't have any of the higher refresh rates - this may mean than you monitor/graphics card doesn't support the higher refresh rates (see later notes).

Change the refresh rate to 75 or 85Hz (if possible) and click Apply.

7) Click OK.

8) Repeat steps 1 to 7 changing the colours/Screen area each time.

This can be somewhat time consumming so if you know the resolution which your game is running at you could just do it for that game and repeat the steps if you use another game/resoltion etc.

Note:

You maybe restricting the refresh rate you can display if you are not using the correct Monitor profile or correct display driver.

If you have still got the manual for your monitor it should have a table of refresh rates/resolutions available. If you know that your monitor does support higher refresh rates here is a way to access them:

Make sure you have your Windows CD available it may request it to load the monitor profiles.

Back in the Display Properties
    Click Advanced
    Click the monitor tab
    Click change - This will display the current monitor name i.e. NEW PANDA 17
    Click the Next button
    Select Display a list...
    Click the Next button - This will display Update Device Driver Wizard - Models: showing the current driver in use.
    Select Show all hardware - This will bring up a list of all available monitor profiles.

Now this is where we do a bit of guessing - I tend to go for a larger monitor size that what I am using (bigger monitors usually have higher refresh rates).

Select one and click Next
    Windows may ask you to insert the Windows CD
    The next screen tells you the driver has installed - Press Finish.

THE ONLY PROBLEM WHICH I FIND WHEN CHANGING THE MONITOR IS THAT IT USUALLY RESETS THE REFRESH RATES TO DEFAULT!!! So you may have to go through them again!

Try a few monitor profiles and you will hopefully find one which suits your setup.

If when you have a new profile refresh rates are still not available and you know that your monitor should support them and you know your display adapter should support them - I suggest finding a tweaking program which will give you access to them.

REMEMBER RUNNING YOUR MONITOR OUTSIDE THE MANUFACTURES RECOMMENDED REFRESH RATE CAN DAMAGE YOUR MONITOR IRREPERABLY.

Your graphics card/monitor usually stops you from doing this anyway by putting a blank screen up.

Gronich

Under win2k and winxp home or pro. The refresh rage are not at the optinum. If you run your desktop at 1280x1024 32bit@100hz forexample then you will get 100hz for that resouloution when you playing the game. However, when you play at different resoloutions then you are defaulted back into 60hz only.

The fix for that is either powerstrip where you can set each invidiual refresh rate and make it force refresh. Or depending on which grapcics card you have you can find or search for tweakers that can force refresh rate and overclock your card. For radeon it is radeon tweaker or Unituner. For Nvidia I think it is Nvmax or something.

Thats your problem if you have win2k or winxppro.

------------------
    Proudly MIT
    WinXP PRO
    Athlon Thunderbird 1.4Ghz With Alpha PAL6035/Delta 38cfm
    Abit KG7-Raid with 512Mb Crucial 2100 DDR 266 CL2@Turbo
    2 40GB IBM 60GXP on Raid0
    Raedon 32mb DDR 186/186
    Teac 516EB 16/10/40x
    Hercules Game Theater XP
    Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 Speakers
    3Com NIC(3C905C-TX)
    Philips 19' Flat Brillance 109P20@1280x1024@100Hz
    ------------------

WinVista32 Ult
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 LGA775 'Yorkfield' 2.66GHz 12MB-cache (1333FSB) @ 3.44GHz @ 1.136Vcore
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler
    Asus P5K-E WiFi Intel P35 with G.Skill 2GB DDR2 HZ PC2-6400C4 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit (F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ)

(2) 37GB WD Raptor@Raid 0
    Leadtek GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3
    Pioneer DVR-215DBK 20x DVD±RW ReWriter
    Soundblaster Audigy2 Zs

Logitech MX Revolution Mouse
    DGM 24 LCD Monitor
    650W PSU

Expensive Sushi

This Is is a common Detonator Bug with XP and Win2k. The Nvidia refresh rate fix worked for me.
    http://www.voodoofiles.com/2633

Install this little programm, se the refresh rates and restart.

If the problem occures in 98 use the "HzTool"
    Unfortunately I don't have a url for taht one.