Thread: ANTEC Sonata Case Review

Cool ANTEC Sonata Case Review

ANTEC Sonata Case Review

Manufacturer: ANTEC
    Distributor: ANTEC
    Flyer: http://www.antec-inc.com/pdf/flyers/SONATA_EC.pdf
    Cost: PriceWatch

Introduction & Features & Specifications:
    Sonata is a Piano Black Super Mini Tower, its advertised as an Award Winning Quiet Case. The Sonata uses a 120mm rear mount fan to obtain this quietness. The Sonata is part of ANTEC’s Life Style Series of cases. The Sonata is very stylish and would be an ideal case for LAN Parties. This is one great looking and well made case so lets move along and get to the Features and Specifications.

Features:
    · 3.0 GHz Compatible
    · TruePower 380Watt ATX12V power supply with single fan design for enhanced quietness
    · Front mounted USB & IEEE1394 (FireWire) ports
    · Washable Air Filter
    · Front Audio ports
    · 9 Drive Bays:
    - 3 x 5.25" external drive bays
    - 2 x 3.5" external drive bays
    - 4 x 3.5" internal drive bays in individual trays with rubber grommets to absorb hard drive vibrations
    · Cooling: Up to 2 120mm Fans
    - 1 rear (standard) 25mm thick
    - 1 front (optional) 25mm thick
    · Motherboards up to Standard ATX
    · Made with 0.8mm SECC Steel

Specifications:
    Case Dimensions 16.75"(H) x 18.25"(D) x 8.13"(W)
    Drive Bays
    - Front Accessible
    - Internal
    93x5.25", 2x3.5" 4x3.5"
    Expansion Slots 7
    Cooling System Up to 2x120mm Fans1 rear (standard)1 front (optional)
    Main Board Size 12"(W)x9.6"(L)
    Power Supply 380Watt TruePowerSingle fan designATX 12V for AMD™ & Intel® systems
    Weight 20.8/25 lbs (net/gross)
    Motherboards Standard ATX
    Special Features Internal drive trays with rubber grommets
    Individual drive trays
    Front USB/FireWire Ports
    Package Includes 1 Tower Case
    1 380 Watt single fan TruePower
    1 Power cord
    1 set of screws and motherboard standoffs
    1 Installation manual

Now that we know the Who, What, & Where’s lets get to the Why someone should go out & purchase this case.

Here is the Sonata in the box.

Lets see how well its Packed. You can see that Styrofoam is used on the Top & Bottom and the Case is wrapped in plastic. The Styrofoam is nice and snug and holds the case securely in the box.

The Piano Black is very shiny on the Sides, Top, and Bottom and also the Front edges.

Here is a nice view of the Front with the door open. Notice the stylish Chrome Front Ports with Blue LEDS very nice touch.

Here’s the rear of the Sonata with its 120mm exhaust fan. (Note: The Right Side Panel is riveted and non removable)

Lets take this baby apart and check out the inside. You can see that it was well packed, except for the PS Cable and Manual. It would have been nice to tape the PS Cable down.

This is a closer look at the ANTEC 380W TruePower. (Note the sexy black Molex Connectors)

Here are the accessories as mentioned above.

These are your 4 x 3.5" internal drive bays. Notice how they slide out for easy installation and removal of your HD’s. (Note the 120mm intake fan mount location and the rubber grommets to quiet those HD Vibrations)

These next two pictures point out some very nice touches that ANTEC has included in the Sonata. Notice that the 2 external front drive bays slide out for easy access. Here is the removable, washable Air Filter that slides out of the bottom of the case. (2084-2088)

Conclusion: ANTEC has produced a very stylish and downright sexy looking case. The Sonata is well made and would make an attractive addition to anyone’s desk.
    Con’s: The fact that the right side panel is non-removable.
    Pro’s: Removable Drive Cages, Included 380W TruePower, Price, Looks & Size.

This concludes the Sonata Case review. I will be doing some modding in the near future and will follow up with some PICS and notes of how the installation of my components went.

Thanks and Hope everyone enjoyed my little review. TAZTG

Nicely done Taz

Question though...is there any room to place a front fan? Even a small TMD fan, something to cool off the hard drives.

No there is no room to mount one on the front. The Optional 120mm Intake Fan is located so the air would be drawn across the HD's. Thanks..

I was also quite pleased with the case, other than the front fan placement and a few other gripes.
    • -|C2D E6600|-|ASUS P5W DH|-|OCZ 2x1GB PC2-6400 Platinum XTC|-|Scythe Infinity|-|Seagate 7200.10 320GB|-|eVGA 8800GT 512MB|-|BenQ DW1655|-|Antec P180B|-|OCZ GameXStream 600W|-|LG L204WT|-
    • -|Dell XPS M1330|-|Core 2 Duo T7100|-|2x1GB DDR2 RAM|-|Hitachi 120GB 5400RPM|-|NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS 128MB GDDR3|-|Intel 3945a/b/g|-|8X slot load DVD+-RW|-
    • Sharky Extreme 3DMark Team
    • site

Nice review. The pictures were great and pointed all of the important parts. How quiet do you find the case to be?
    P4 2.8C | ABIT IC7-G | 1 GB Mushkin PC3500 L1 | 9800pro 128mb
    160 GB SATA | NEC 8X DVD+RW/-RW | Antec 430W | Lian Li PC-61

That hasn't been determined. I have to do some modding first then install my gear. I will post a follow up review.

Hey Taz,

Do you know whether or not Antec has any other cases that use that style of internal bay mechanism...preferably one that is plain jane biege and not so shiney.

Nice work TAZTG. I would also be interested to see how component installation went. Some cases can be a real pain to set up, or leave little room to get around inside.

I like dual 120mm's though. And the black Molex headers, very slick
    Stuff and stuff

Originally posted by Isezumi
    Hey Taz,

Do you know whether or not Antec has any other cases that use that style of internal bay mechanism...preferably one that is plain jane biege and not so shiney.
    I just took a quick tour of NewEgg and didn't see any with that style. ANTEC might have one, you could take a quick tour of their site.

Originally posted by TAZTG
    I just took a quick tour of NewEgg and didn't see any with that style. ANTEC might have one, you could take a quick tour of their site.
    gotcha

ill dig further, thanks for the prelim.

Catfish

Smile Hey TAZTG

I have to do some modding first then install my gear
    Can I ask what goodies you have in store for this case?

Also, what do you think of the actual construction materials, in terms of the quality of metal used?

Thx.

does the motherboard tray slide out somehow? That looks like a great case! GL!
    My Current System
    C2Q Q6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 1.31v | Zerotherm NV120 Nirvana | Asus P5W DH | 4GB Corsair G-Skill PC6400 | 1GB HIS IceQ4 4870 Turbo | X-Fi Xtrememusic | Megaworks 650 6.1 | 500GB WD SE16 | Corsair TX750W | TT Tsunami | Log. MX3100 Duo | Dell 2007WFP | Vista HP x64
    3d05 - 20025 | 3d06 - 15570

My Heatware | My Rig Pics/OC | Sharkyforums 3dmark Team
    |
    Currently Playing- DoW:2, UT3, TF2, NWN2