Sonata Review Part Two

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonata Review Part Two

Cool Sonata Review Part Two

Hey Folks, I have finally finished up the my Review of the ANTEC Sonata.
    You can read PART ONE HERE.

Part II Installation:

Here is the case ready to receive all my hardware.

The first thing to go in was the optional 120mm Fan. The case came with some nice plugs that you fed into the fan holes and pulled through the other side, thus locking the fan in place.

The Motherboard fit in nicely, with plenty of room. I made sure the standoffs where located correctly and all six screws went in smoothly.

The next thing I did and failed to get a picture of was to plug in the Power/LED connections and Power Supply connectors on Motherboard. Then mounted my DVD & CD/RW Drive’s. The next step was to mount the Hard Drive’s. They connected to the Internal Drive Tray’s with special screws through the Rubber Grommets.

I didn’t rewire everything real good since this isn’t going to be the permanent home for my hardware. Here is everything except the 3.5”Floppy Drive.

Here’s a PIC of the front. Those Blue LEDS at a nice touch.

This Sonata Case is very quiet. I had to double check to make sure all the fans where on. I replaced the Vantec Tornado on my CPU with a Thermaltake, this added to the quietness. I can strongly recommend this case to anyone looking for a Quiet, Easy to Install, Roomy, and downright Sexy looking Case.
    Hope you enjoyed the Review.. Thanks TAZTG..

Mr Zurkon is here to kill PointlesS's Avatar
    looks nice...how are temps?
    Lian Li PC-K7B | Intel i5 750 | 4GB A-Data 1600 | Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R | XFX Radeon 5850 | 2-640GB WD Caviar Blue | X-fi Xtrememusic | Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra | Dell U2311H | Antec Basiq Plus 550W | NEC 3550A | Win7 Ultimate x64
    and a whole lot of lovin..

Originally posted by PointlesS
    looks nice...how are temps?
    They are quite nice actually. I don't overclock, and this P4 stays nice and cool with the Swiftech Heatsink. The 2 120mm's run quiet but move quite a bit of air.

I WANT THAT CASE!!!!

I have that case on my rig! Its quiete...I thought I forgot to connect my fans the first time I used it
    - AMD Athlon XP 3000+
    - Tt SilentBoost CPU cooler
    - ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe board rev. 1.06
    - 2x512MB Samsung PC2700 DDR ram
    - ATI AIW Radeon 9700 Pro
    - 2x Seagate Barracuda SATA 80GB Raid 0 HDD
    - Hitachi 7K250 / IBM 120GXP 80GB HDD's
    - Toshiba 16x DVD / Sony 24x CD-RW
    - Teac combo 1.44 and 1.25 floppy
    - Antec Sonata case w/ 380W PSU
    - NEC/Mitsubishi DiamondPoint NX86LCD 18.1" TFT Monitor
    - Logitech MX500 Mice / Elite Key
    - Yamaha Active Servo Speakers

Originally posted by nForcer
    I have that case on my rig! Its quiete...I thought I forgot to connect my fans the first time I used it
    cool how much and where did ya get it from?

Got it at Best Buy for $120 but its with a $30 rebate.
    - AMD Athlon XP 3000+
    - Tt SilentBoost CPU cooler
    - ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe board rev. 1.06
    - 2x512MB Samsung PC2700 DDR ram
    - ATI AIW Radeon 9700 Pro
    - 2x Seagate Barracuda SATA 80GB Raid 0 HDD
    - Hitachi 7K250 / IBM 120GXP 80GB HDD's
    - Toshiba 16x DVD / Sony 24x CD-RW
    - Teac combo 1.44 and 1.25 floppy
    - Antec Sonata case w/ 380W PSU
    - NEC/Mitsubishi DiamondPoint NX86LCD 18.1" TFT Monitor
    - Logitech MX500 Mice / Elite Key
    - Yamaha Active Servo Speakers

Reef Shark
    What kind of temps are you getting with the two 120mm fans going? I've been thinking of getting this case but I OC and cooling is very important to me. Thanks.

TAZTG,

Great pics, great layout also, it looks very sweet.

I also have a sonata, but due to the locations of my IDE plugs, I had to go in the back of the HD, and it does look nice, but not as good as your.

I also see that you have a 5900Ultra (I think), as me, but what did you do about the back metalic part between the slots, I bend it to fit the 5900U, but I really like to see if you have a pic of it, I didnt like how it looks in the back.

Nice review, thanks for the pics.
    Abula
    DESKTOP
    Intel Core i7 920 | ASUS Sabertooth X58 | Corsair Dominator 1600 6GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE | nVidia GeForce Zotac AMP GTX480 | ASUS VE278Q 27" 1920x1080 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung HD502HJ 500GB | Antec Twelve Hundred | Antec CP-850 | Logitech MX518 | Logitech Illuminated Keyboard | Logitech G13 | Windows 7

LAPTOP
    ASUS G73JW-XA1 | Intel i7-740QM | nVidia GTX 460M | 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | Intel X25-M G2 160GB | Seagate Momentus 750GB | Intel 6200 | Windows 7

Hammerhead Shark ComputerManiacs's Avatar

Talking

looks nice!!!! but I just want to know the temp, before I get it.

Have a nice day!!!

Computer Maniac
    Current System:

Intel Core 2 Duo Q9550 @ 3.83Ghz with Zalman CNP9700TN, 8G OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 HPC, ASUS P5Q Deluxe, AMD HD4870, Soundblaster X-FI Extreme Music, Duo OCZ Vertex 60G (RAID 0), 500G Seagate SATA, LG 20x DVD burner, Samsung 20x DVD burner, Antec 900 w/Antec Trio 650W PSU, Dell 2408FPW LCD, Logitech Z5500 5.1 Speaker, Logitech G5 w/G15 keyboard

3DMark 2003 = 41732
    3DMark 2005 = 22648
    3DMark 2006 = 16148

Originally posted by Abula
    TAZTG,

Great pics, great layout also, it looks very sweet.

I also have a sonata, but due to the locations of my IDE plugs, I had to go in the back of the HD, and it does look nice, but not as good as your.

I also see that you have a 5900Ultra (I think), as me, but what did you do about the back metalic part between the slots, I bend it to fit the 5900U, but I really like to see if you have a pic of it, I didnt like how it looks in the back.

Nice review, thanks for the pics.
    Abula
    I have the 5900Ultra in there. I had no problem getting mine in there. I removed the PCI Slot Covers first, then slid the 5900 in. It was a bit tight but its fit nicely. I then put on the 3 Slot Cover which went up under the little bottom lip on the 5900.

My Temps according Motherboard Monitor, which hopefully I configured correctly.
    Sensor 1 =Asus 1 Sensor 2 =Asus 2! Temps currently are 32 & 27..
    27 I figure is my CPU Temp. I do have a great Heatsink and a nice TT Fan on there. Hope this answers the temp questions. If you need better Temps I would add a exhaust fan at the top maybe a nice quiet 92mm. hmmm another idea for modding.. Thanks all for the kind words.

I have the 5900Ultra in there. I had no problem getting mine in there. I removed the PCI Slot Covers first, then slid the 5900 in. It was a bit tight but its fit nicely. I then put on the 3 Slot Cover which went up under the little bottom lip on the 5900.
    Thanks for the info, but the sonata has like a little bump between PCI slots, like a little mountain, that was the thing that didnt let me intall that easy the 5900Ultra, at the end, I bend it (just a little) in the outside, so the 5900utlra plate can be fitted straight, I dont know if this also happen to you.
    DESKTOP
    Intel Core i7 920 | ASUS Sabertooth X58 | Corsair Dominator 1600 6GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE | nVidia GeForce Zotac AMP GTX480 | ASUS VE278Q 27" 1920x1080 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung HD502HJ 500GB | Antec Twelve Hundred | Antec CP-850 | Logitech MX518 | Logitech Illuminated Keyboard | Logitech G13 | Windows 7

LAPTOP
    ASUS G73JW-XA1 | Intel i7-740QM | nVidia GTX 460M | 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | Intel X25-M G2 160GB | Seagate Momentus 750GB | Intel 6200 | Windows 7

Thanks for the second review TAZTG, nice job. I was curious what installation would be like - and it doesn't look like you ran into any problems with your setup. Actually looks like there is a decent amount of room to work with; and I dig the 120mm in front Do you think it's getting as much cool air mounted there (as opposed to mounting right on the bezel)?
    Stuff and stuff

Originally posted by Tekime
    Thanks for the second review TAZTG, nice job. I was curious what installation would be like - and it doesn't look like you ran into any problems with your setup. Actually looks like there is a decent amount of room to work with; and I dig the 120mm in front Do you think it's getting as much cool air mounted there (as opposed to mounting right on the bezel)?
    I think if it was mounted right in the front it would pull more cool air into tha case. This pulls air across the harddrives and seems to do the trick. It is very different from the nowm but I really love the way the HD's mount and all the connectors hide in the back.

Thanks for the info, but the sonata has like a little bump between PCI slots, like a little mountain, that was the thing that didnt let me intall that easy the 5900Ultra, at the end, I bend it (just a little) in the outside, so the 5900utlra plate can be fitted straight, I dont know if this also happen to you
    Yes, I see what you are talking about now. I didn't have no problems, when I screwed it down I suppose the little guides collapsed in. I have a flush seal on the back and everything looks good.

Update, I just ordered some Modding Gear for the case so I will be working on that small MOD in the near future. I already tried to do some lettering in the side panel and messed it up. That means I will be adding a window. Damn that Steel is tough, wish it was my Lian-Li I was cutting.