What's the next big thing in custom PC's? - Page 3

Sharky Forums

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the next big thing in custom PC's?

Originally posted by chadington
    it all comes from people not knowing how to do a cool paint job or shape metal, but any asshat with 10$ can put some neon lights on his case or cut a hole in the side and tape some acrylic to it.
    You're my new friend.
    #1) Big Box
    Core 2 Quad Q9550 - Asus P5Q3 - 8GB DDR3 1333 - GeForce 550Ti - Win 7 Pro
    #2) IBM Thinkpad R51
    Pentium M 1.6GHz - 1GB PC2700 - 80GB - Win 7 Pro

#3) Macbook Pro
    2.4GHz Core i5 - 4GB - OS X Lion

#4) Rollerskates
    Bont Quad Racer Carbon - Sure-Grip Avengers - Qube 8-Balls

Now Playing: Forza 4, Wipeout HD, Dead Space 2 (again!)

I guess we've found the new Sharky mantra.

The thing I'm seeing more of is 'customized' mass production. Companies like Dell are starting to integrate things that were developed by modding. I'm just waiting for the next wave of modders to find their own niche.

I really could care less if someone has a pre-mod window, or whatever it may be. When im done building something, at least ill have the satisfaction to tell people who see it that I made it and designed it with my own two hands.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -Albert Einstein.
    Antec SX1040BII | Epox 8RDA+ | AMD 2500+ @ 3100 speed [2200 Mhz (200 x 11.0)] | Zalman CNPS-6000-Cu | 512 MB PC3200 Crucial | Western Digital 80GB | Samsung 160GB | Gainward Ti4800Se | Lite-On 52x32x52 | Lite-On 16x DVD | Win XP Home | Sony Trinitron Multiscan 200ES| Sony Trinitron Multiscan 200PS | Logitech MX 700 Mouse & Cordless Elite Keyboard

Originally posted by Mrfreddio55
    "And artistic skill is more important than imagination" -Me

for what good is imagination when you can't translate that into actual design?
    nForce 680i SLI; Core 2 Duo E6700; 2 x 1GB PC2 8500; nVidia 8800GTX
    8RDA+; XP 1700+ @ 2075MHz; 2 x 256MB PC3200; 6 HDDs @ 1.47TB; Radeon 9800Pro
    OC Crusaders Alpha Dir schultz of The Cooler's Guild Sharky's Folding Team - Help Us Out
    Sharky's Extreme 3DMark Team Pyro's 3dmark 01/03 Guide

Originally posted by schultz
    "And artistic skill is more important than imagination" -Me

for what good is imagination when you can't translate that into actual design?
    Well, Einstien's field of study was theoretical physics.

In terms of art, I feel that there are two important things that you must be able to do. The first is the ability to imagine in detail what you are going to do. The second is the ability to take it from your mind and put it into something material.

Anyone can imagine something, the hard part is detail.

The only way I can design something on the order of complexity of a computer case is with the help of a lot of notebook pages to draw on. I have to start with basic shapes and gradually get more complex until I have enough detail start making something.

Taking the idea from your mind and making it into something is also difficult, but for other reasons.

I can't draw anything better than stick figures (which suits mechanical design nicely), but I can cut and form metal from an image in my mind. I'm also pretty bad at describing what I'm thinking of. I can have a perfectly clear picture of a mechanical assembely in my mind, but can't explain it to someone else.

Oh well, back on topic. The next big thing in modding will be the transition from "accessory" modding to actual design modding. Instead of making a hodgepodge of fans and lights, there will be an emergence of artistic design that has a clear intent and focus.
    P4 2.4C @ 3.44Ghz , 285 FSB -- Asus P4C800-E -- 512 Mb Corsair PC4000 -- Radeon 9800np 445.5/398.3 Vmodded-- 2xRaptors in RAID 0 -- Watercooled CPU, GPU and Northbridge -- Handcrafted Case

... And Folding Like No Tomorrow

I think the next big thing is smaller cases. Honestly, computers need to get smaller. I like those frag boxes by FalconNW.

The current rig that 0wnz:
    Antec 2650|A64 3200+|ECS 755-A2|1gb Kingston Value RAM|17" Samsung 730b|Gigabyte 6600GT|8x DVD-RW|160 GB Seagate HD|250 GB external

The rig that 0wned:
    HP Pavilion 9800|1.3ghz P4|384 RDRAM|Radeon 9000pro 128 MB|15" monitor (12" viewable )|30 gig HD|Windows ME (Cheaper than Windows 98!)|12 DVD-ROM|52/24/52 CD-RW|Nice buttons

When will we see true 'all-in-one' computers/home entertainment units? I know that HTPC's are a step closer, but they still lack some ease of use.

Expensive Sushi
    I don't know where (if anywhere) modding will go from here. But I know where I want it to go...

Lighting and windows are boring. The only thing that I'd find amusing in that category now would be the use if a clapper... Maybe a clapper that causes the lights to go on.. or one that makes a boring mod implode. Obviously the imploding clapper mod would only work once. Someone probably already did that though right? Modding must go on to NEW TERRITORY!!

Anyway, one good mod for the extreme gamer types would be a PC modded to include a life-support system; it could have an I.V. setup to provide said gamer with vital nutrients and then a catheter dohicky to take care of his.. well.. dohicky.

Another idea I had was the PC space heater (not for you overclockers out there). First you'd need to do some research to find all the hottest running hardware out there - build your PC, take out all the fans, douse the inside with lighter fluid and boot 'er up... toasty.

I guess I'll be bumping this up...

The next step in case design?
    Hmmm....

I love the clean look and I think more companies are going to a sleek-clean look.

But, as far as the next innovation in computers? I would like to see more "remote" access. The automobile industry has shown what you can do with a key-fob; now, we need to get a setup for our computers.

You come home from work, unlock your front door, flip on the light, press a button on a fob in your pocket to turn-on your computer, toss your keys on the end-table by the door, take off your coat, and head to your office. Your computer is now on with your email reading program open and is currently downloading your unread email. You continue reading and notice its starting to get dark. You reach over and flick on the light switch and it turns on the overhead light and your cold-cathode lights in your case, keyboard, and mouse.

After finishing your business, you head back into the living room. You turn on the news and watch for an hour. Your wife calls you from the kitchen that she's got dinner ready. You turn off the TV, reach for the fob in your pocket and turn on your media center on your computer. You click "RANDOM" and the sounds of Harry Connick, Jr. radiate from your 500W, surround sound "computer" speakers.

Thats kind of what I see. You just carry a small "remote" in your pocket with a few buttons on it and the computer is tied more into the home than just as an accessory.
    mellojoe
    Knight of the OC Crusades

--in the Lian Li A16--
    DFI LanParty DK P35 T2RS
    Intel E7200 (2.53) @ 4.0 ghz
    G.Skill 4GB DDR2-1000 5-5-5-15
    Corsair 750W
    evga 9800GTX+
    Lite-ON 20X DVD±RW DL

--watercooling--
    D-Tek Fuzion v2
    Swiftech MCP655
    2x120mm BIX GTX
    Swiftech MicroRes

__

Quote Originally Posted by mellojoe View Post
    I guess I'll be bumping this up...

The next step in case design?
    Hmmm....

I love the clean look and I think more companies are going to a sleek-clean look.

But, as far as the next innovation in computers? I would like to see more "remote" access. The automobile industry has shown what you can do with a key-fob; now, we need to get a setup for our computers.

You come home from work, unlock your front door, flip on the light, press a button on a fob in your pocket to turn-on your computer, toss your keys on the end-table by the door, take off your coat, and head to your office. Your computer is now on with your email reading program open and is currently downloading your unread email. You continue reading and notice its starting to get dark. You reach over and flick on the light switch and it turns on the overhead light and your cold-cathode lights in your case, keyboard, and mouse.

After finishing your business, you head back into the living room. You turn on the news and watch for an hour. Your wife calls you from the kitchen that she's got dinner ready. You turn off the TV, reach for the fob in your pocket and turn on your media center on your computer. You click "RANDOM" and the sounds of Harry Connick, Jr. radiate from your 500W, surround sound "computer" speakers.

Thats kind of what I see. You just carry a small "remote" in your pocket with a few buttons on it and the computer is tied more into the home than just as an accessory.
    Well my friends, 16 years later and I have this tiny remote in my pocket called a "smartphone" that does all of this and more.

Let's see:

- Smart homes & lights
    - Email in my pocket and every device/computer I own simultaneously
    - Use my computer/stream video/watch TV in 4K on a huge screen
    - Legit, my wife called my from the kitchen to let me know dinner was ready

The future is now!
    Stuff and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Well my friends, 16 years later and I have this tiny remote in my pocket called a "smartphone" that does all of this and more.

Let's see:

- Smart homes & lights
    - Email in my pocket and every device/computer I own simultaneously
    - Use my computer/stream video/watch TV in 4K on a huge screen
    - Legit, my wife called my from the kitchen to let me know dinner was ready

The future is now!
    Just like back then, it's good to know I'm still behind the times. Smart phone? Rockin' that slider phone with keyboard.

Also, always a little shocked to get reminders from SharkyForums. You say the future is now... but it sure feels like a blast from the past. :P
    OC Crusaders Alpha Dir schultz of The Cooler's Guild Sharky's Folding Team - Help Us Out

I feel like visiting this site is like walking through a post apocalyptic city. Nice to see I’m not the only one lurking around.
    I’m very discrete. I have no code of brand loyalty. I will build anything, anywhere; Gaming PC, workstation, HTPC, doesn’t matter. I just love building.

Great to see some of the 'older' Sharks turning up!
    Save Ana
    http://www.jpages.net/HelpAna.htm

Main Rig - All AMD build: R9 3900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 8GB 3600CL17 Patriot ViperRGB | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung QVO SATA SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 6TB WD Black | Corsair HX 1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Samsung LC49HG90DMEXX 32:9 | iFi Micro iDSD BL | LG SL8YG Soundbar | 64bit Win10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mikeysg View Post
    Great to see some of the 'older' Sharks turning up!
    At least we know who still uses/has access to their old email address.

Quote Originally Posted by schultz View Post
    At least we know who still uses/has access to their old email address.
    Actually, I don't. I'd gotten a mod here to help me log in to my old account.........something I was not able to do in the Steam forums. But I'm still the same guy had verying degrees of 'disagreements' with various nVidia fanboys here. last one that made me quit was OpStar (I thought he was a friend, but I guess he was having a bad day when we argued), hadn't stepped back here for years after that. But when I did wanna come back (like 2 years back), this issue of password and email address cropped up. Still, I'm happy to be back and hoping to see more of the familiar Sharks here.
    Save Ana
    http://www.jpages.net/HelpAna.htm

Main Rig - All AMD build: R9 3900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 8GB 3600CL17 Patriot ViperRGB | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung QVO SATA SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 6TB WD Black | Corsair HX 1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Samsung LC49HG90DMEXX 32:9 | iFi Micro iDSD BL | LG SL8YG Soundbar | 64bit Win10 Pro