It aint shutting down,,,,,

Sharky Forums

Thread: It aint shutting down,,,,,

Expensive Sushi

It aint shutting down,,,,,

Hi Guys,

I just got my new system on monday. I formated, installed xp and what ever drivers i had to install and all was fine. Last night i got on for about 2 or 3 hours, when i tried shutting windows down nothing happens. I try it again and after 2 min. my icons are all gone and then nothing happens its like its just frozen there... any idees why this is happening? Also, when i start her up and shes in that start up mode and scanning for my devices it says theres no primary ide located or any secondary ide located?

My system specs are: Intel 4 3.0ghz [800fsb], asus p4p800dlx, corsair twinx 1024mb ddr400, lite-on combo, maxtor 30gig hd.

thanks for the help,
    joey

P.S. I had another user name but didnt really like it. Thought this name was better.

Hi Kronic Break.
    Welcome... I actually have more questions than answers...
    Have you updated all the critical updates on XP via Windows Update? You'd have to do SP1 update first... Then, have you also updated the drivers for your mobo? Do that after...

Expensive Sushi
    Hi Pete,

I didnt get to that part yet... getting the service pack or updating my mobo. But woudlnt i have had that problem from the start? i was running it for a day or two before it started doing that. I'll try it tonight, when you say updating my mobo's drivers you mean flashing the bios right? that i never did where can i get the info on that?

thanks,
    joe

Originally posted by kronic_break
    Hi Pete,

I didnt get to that part yet... getting the service pack or updating my mobo. But woudlnt i have had that problem from the start? i was running it for a day or two before it started doing that. I'll try it tonight, when you say updating my mobo's drivers you mean flashing the bios right? that i never did where can i get the info on that?

thanks,
    joe
    Well, updating the Bios AND updating the mobo drivers... meaning since your P4P800 Dlx is Intel 865PE chipset based, check Intel's website for Windows drivers update for that chipset. As for Bios update, ALWAYS check the manufacturer's site... http://usa.asus.com
    Last edited by proxops-pete; 02-05-2004 at 11:52 AM.

Expensive Sushi
    Hey Pete,

Did all you said & still had the same issues... so i went backwards and removed all programs/drivers/devices i installed. And my problem
    was my logitech Elite keyboard. The drivers caused a problem in windows on shutdowns. Got the latest versions and all is cool.

Thanks again for your time and help!

Joe.
    Last edited by kronic_break; 02-06-2004 at 12:26 AM.
    Intel P4 3.2ghz 800fsb
    Asus P4C800 Deluxe 800fsb
    Corsair Twinx DDR400 PC3200 1024mg
    LG combo cd-rw/dvd 52x24x52/dvd 16x
    Thermaltake Power supply
    19inch LG 915FT Plus Flatscreen
    Logitech Mx-700 Cordless mouse
    Logitech Elite keyboard
    Logitech Wingman
    Altec Lansing ACS54
    Win XP pro

Glad to hear that all is well... Enjoy!!