Help with ADSL connection please

Sharky Forums

Thread: Help with ADSL connection please

Tiger Shark

Help with ADSL connection please

I recently got an ADSL connection. It was working fine for the first 2 days, and then suddenly i haven't been able to get a connection.

I am using a D-LINK 302G USB modem. The "ADSL Link/Act" LED on my modem is off (ie, i haven't got a connection).

Is there any way i can definitely test whether this is a problem with my line, or whether it is a fault with my modem, or whetehr there is some misconfiguration in my network settings?
    Last edited by oozle1; 04-24-2004 at 10:05 PM.

Tiger Shark
    If the dsl light isn't on constantly you have a sync problem. Do you have it plugged into a regular phone jack? If so make sure you have filters on every other line that has a device attached to it. I had a problem with mine for a while till I ran a "homerun" connection which is basically running your modem right off the NID box outside your house. I did this and my connection is 100% better with no disconnects. What company are you going through for your dsl?
    Gigabyte P67A-UD3
    Core I5-2500k@4ghz
    4-Gigs Patriot Sector 5 DDR3@9-9-9-24@1600mhz
    EVGA GTX295@700/1509/1100

Call your DSL provider, they'll help you out.

Hammerhead Shark
    This is pretty basic troubleshooting, but you didn't mention that you've done it: power-cycle your modem.

Typically, if you aren't gaining a connection after that and it's been down for more than a couple hours, I'd get on the phone with your provider and ask them what's up.
    Nick_B
    Currently running Ubuntu and Windows 7.