major computer hard drive problem.

Sharky Forums

Thread: major computer hard drive problem.

major computer hard drive problem.

I was installing a fresh windows xp onto my wd raptor hard drive and it gave me a messasge "searching 38000 wd at so and so ID and so and so location on via sata raid"(it said this at the bottom after you press enter do the windows xp install)and the message just hangs there and the computer finally reboots.well I decided to boot my computer up normally without xp install(winxp was already on it)and it gave a black screen with the option to start windows normally,which I did but hard drive makes a little normal noise(noise when it loads xp) then nothing happens after that.The computer simply will not go into the operating system or install xp.The wd raptor made NO stange noises at all.

Tiger Shark

Re: major computer hard drive problem.

Originally posted by 2630Goon
    I was installing a fresh windows xp onto my wd raptor hard drive and it gave me a messasge "searching 38000 wd at so and so ID and so and so location on via sata raid"(it said this at the bottom after you press enter do the windows xp install)and the message just hangs there and the computer finally reboots.well I decided to boot my computer up normally without xp install(winxp was already on it)and it gave a black screen with the option to start windows normally,which I did but hard drive makes a little normal noise(noise when it loads xp) then nothing happens after that.The computer simply will not go into the operating system or install xp.The wd raptor made NO stange noises at all.
    Try reseting all your bios options to the default settings... also there are probably bios settings for the raid array... make sure you reset tham and reconfigure them for how you want them... is this a raid 0 array?
    ---

Workstation:
    Supermicro P4SCT
    Intel P4 3ghz 800mhz fsb
    512 x 2 PC3200 cas 2.5
    1024 x 2 PC3200 cas 2.5
    RAID 0 X2 WD Raptor X boot drive
    nVidia Geforce 7950 GT 512MB AGP 8X
    ConnectCom 64bit 66mhz PCI-X Fibre Channel Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Killer K1 nic card
    Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
    Gentoo 2.6.26-r5
    Laptop:
    Compaq Presario F500
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

Re: Re: major computer hard drive problem.

Originally posted by TyMac
    Try reseting all your bios options to the default settings... also there are probably bios settings for the raid array... make sure you reset tham and reconfigure them for how you want them... is this a raid 0 array?
    no raid just 1 sata drive,and I do not think my hard drive is bad at all .I think my mobo sata just died on me.I have heard tons of problems about my motherboard and sata.I have two sata controllers -promise and via(cannot get promise to work ever)and the via worked good until yestereday(I think).Bad harddrives usually give you a grinding noise when they go out but mine made no grinding noise and I can hear the motor still running inside the hardrive(which is normal)and I get no messages of a possible bad disk.just when windows is examining the hd before install it just hangs there for ever and just reboots.