Want to learn C (or C++ or Pro*C) - any tips? - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to learn C (or C++ or Pro*C) - any tips?

Tiger Shark
    If you a fresh to programming in C, go into C++ straight away, don't learn C first ,or both at the same time. C is not tech in school, or Uni anymore.
    Last edited by john99; 06-07-2004 at 08:40 AM.

Hammerhead Shark
    it's easier to completely understand C.

I agree that it is easier to get a solid handle on C than C++ from the beginning. But since most developers lean towards object-oriented programming nowadays, it's probably better to start with C++ and OOP than to learn procedural C and then move to OO.

Admittedly I was raised on F77 and it took years of writing Java code to think in terms of objects/classes/methods instead of subroutines. If I had started with OO, I'd probably be a much better programmer today.

Open Source is free like a puppy is free.

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

Understanding Evolution

Tiger Shark
    rock

You read my mind.

"But since most developers lean towards object-oriented programming nowadays, it's probably better to start with C++ and OOP than to learn procedural C and then move to OO."

That why I said jump into C++ straight away.
    Also, like you said it much harder to learn C++ once you learned the classic method of programming in C.

Nowadays, it OO, & top down programming, & reusability.
    Last edited by john99; 06-08-2004 at 01:26 PM.

Hammerhead Shark
    Thanks for the tips guys.

I've started with the Teach Yourself C guide so I'll finish it before moving on to the C++ guide. Since I won't be using C beyond the course I shouldn't think it will hinder my learning of C++ - rather it will complement it.

A frustrating thing about the Teach Yourself C guide is that so far (after 6 of the 24 lessons) all I've learnt is very basic syntax and just writing single characters to the screen. I mean, so far the course gives the impression that C is very very basic and there's not much it can do beyond simple uses of printf, getc (and getchar) and putc (putchar). i appreciate I've not finished the course, but I expected to know a little more after a quarter of it.

Perhaps my (limitted) experience with VBA (I know I kwow, but it's still useful experience nonetheless) has led me not appreciate the need to grasp simple concepts thoroughly before moving on.
    | AMD64 3000+ (skt 754)| 256MB Sapphire Radeon 9600XT | MSI K8N Neo Platinum | 450W Antec SP-450PGB PSU |Corsair 1024MB CMX1024-3200C2PT + TwinMOS PC3200 512MB CL2.5 | 80GB WD SE HDD (8MB Cache) | 180GB IBM/Hitachi 180GXP HDD | NEC 2500A DVR+-RW | Creative FPS1000 Speakers |

Originally posted by bras0782
    Thanks for the tips guys.

I've started with the Teach Yourself C guide so I'll finish it before moving on to the C++ guide. Since I won't be using C beyond the course I shouldn't think it will hinder my learning of C++ - rather it will complement it.

A frustrating thing about the Teach Yourself C guide is that so far (after 6 of the 24 lessons) all I've learnt is very basic syntax and just writing single characters to the screen. I mean, so far the course gives the impression that C is very very basic and there's not much it can do beyond simple uses of printf, getc (and getchar) and putc (putchar). i appreciate I've not finished the course, but I expected to know a little more after a quarter of it.

Perhaps my (limitted) experience with VBA (I know I kwow, but it's still useful experience nonetheless) has led me not appreciate the need to grasp simple concepts thoroughly before moving on.
    Oh know their is much you can learn. I took my frst C++ class this semester amd It fet like learning english. Thng will pick up once you start learning loops, cases, function(very important) and other things. Start thinking of simple problems to do. Like Lets say you want to make a math tutor program with random numbers that can add subtrack, multiply and divide. Try and make it happen. If you need more ideas, my C++ has a bunch.
    Updated 12/27/05

A64 Desktop Rig
    DC Opteron 165@2.7GHZ
    1GB UTT@245FSB 2/2/2/7
    X1800XT 512MB @PE Speeds
    19" Viewsonic WS LCD
    2x160GB ATA HDs
    NEC 3550 DL-DVD Burner

12.1 Ibook G3
    256MB Ram
    30GB

And if you absolutely can't think of anything more to do with C, look up assignments at college websites, they are almost guaranteed to have some. And, you can usually check the most efficient way to do the program correctly, and compare to your own solution. They may not be fun, but it sure helps teach you.
    Audio Setups:
    E-MU 0404 ---toslink---> Panasonic SA-XR55s ---> Ascend Acoustics CBM170's with Dayton 12"
    E-MU 0404 ---analog---> Little Dot II tube amp ---> Beyerdynamics DT880 or Sennheiser HD280 pros.
    Technics SL-1200 MKII ---> TCC TC-750LC Phono Preamp ---> Panasonic SA-XR55s ---> Ascend Acoustics CBM170's with Dayton 12"

Proud Sharky Folding@Home member! (Rank 37 and counting...)

Originally posted by bras0782
    A frustrating thing about the Teach Yourself C guide is that so far (after 6 of the 24 lessons) all I've learnt is very basic syntax and just writing single characters to the screen. I mean, so far the course gives the impression that C is very very basic and there's not much it can do beyond simple uses of printf, getc (and getchar) and putc (putchar).
    See my comment above about C being elegant and simple. That's really all you can do with the basic C language. Of course, with the right API, C was used for years to implement GUI programs under windows and other OS's. Maybe that's the sort of thing you are looking for? Forger has a decent tutorial on C + Win32:
    http://winprog.org/tutorial/

Bear in mind though that the simple API you are working with, called the C ANSI library, is what the Linux kernel and most of the GNU programs are implemented with, and form a complete Unix operating system. Simple yes, but not sucky by any means.

Sushi
    When I was teaching C, there were always a few students who came into the class knowing a bit about programming. Inevitably, some of these students did great in the first few weeks only to fall further and further behind as the course went on. Why? They went too fast through the introductory part of the course, thinking they knew it all--but they rarely did. They knew some of the material, but not enough to have a strong grasp of the fundamentals.

Sushi
    Bear in mind though that the simple API you are working with, called the C ANSI library, is what the Linux kernel and most of the GNU programs are implemented with, and form a complete Unix operating system. Simple yes, but not sucky by any means.

This thread is FIFTEEN YEARS OLD....