How Do Ionic Fans Work?

Sharky Forums

Thread: How Do Ionic Fans Work?

Question How Do Ionic Fans Work?

I was looking at one of those Ionic Breeze fans in Sharper Image and I was wondering how they work. Don't know if this belongs here are Sharky, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Hammerhead Shark
    short answer: they don't. don't buy one.

i'll let the others go into the science of what it actually does.

Originally posted by Strogian
    short answer: they don't. don't buy one.

i'll let the others go into the science of what it actually does.
    I know what you mean. They barely blow air. It's probably like 8CFM, but they do somehow MOVE air. I'm just wondering how.

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V123/N58/gadget_58.58f.html

figured that might be a good read.

I think these gadgets work using the principle of electrons on a charged spike will flow away from the point (into the air)- this is how lightning conductors work- they don't just earth lightening strikes- they also spray electrons into the air neutralising
    +vely charged clouds (well thats what I was told at school anyway)
    Newest comp DFI nf2 ultra xp1500-m @223*10.5 or XP2500-M barton @230*10.5
    new comp- 8RDA+, xp2100 TbredB @202*11, 2*twinmos 3200 (non winbond), 9700 pro, Maxtor 9 plus 80gb &120GB, Hitachi CML174SWB 17" LCD
    Old comp KT7A Axia 1ghz @1.38GHZ,
    GF3 ti200, Compaq 910 19" Monitor

Sleeps with the Fishes talldude's Avatar
    They draw positively charged particles through cleaning filters via electricity. The positively charged particles, molecules and atoms are drawn through by the negatively charged electrons.

talldude got it right...

dust/dirt/pollen/etc particles are postively charged.... the metal plates in the ionic breeze create a negatively charged current and basically acts as a magnet pulling in the positively charged "dirty" particles.... however thats kinda the reason why it doesnt work...

it will clean the air in like a 1 foot radius around the inoic breeze... put like a weak magnet it wont have enough charge to attract particles in an entire room for instance.

they also have things called "ionizers" that you buy at stores or online.. and they use the same principle but work differently... ionizers work by creating negatively charged ions and spitting it out into the air.. these negative ions (ozone) fly around in the air and get attached to positively charged "dirty" particles... after awhile the "dirty" particles get heavy with weight from too many ions being attched to them and simply fall to the ground.... thats how ionizers work

the 3rd and most proven method of cleaning air is the HEPA filter... basically a super efficient filter with a fan and it just circulates air and traps "dirty" particles in the HEPA filter... however you have to buy a new filter every one in a while.
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t