Lead poisoning from solder?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Lead poisoning from solder?

Lead poisoning from solder?

I build networking switches all day at work, and a few of the guys there beleive that they will get lead poisoning from sliding the solder between their fingers. Can you acquire lead poisoning from solder?

The guys at work want to wear gloves when soldering, but I feal that may just be a waste of money and time.

I have read things online that say yes you can, and others that say no you can't. They don't solder too much only the fiber optic connectors get soldered on so we are talking about 12 pins per board and about 20 boards each.
    Girls are like Internet Domain Names.
    The ones I like are already taken.

The fumes are the only real hazard. You most definately can have numerous health issues from solder fume inhalation. A vent hood or other venting method is highly recommended especially if it's done everyday.
    ...WAIT FOR IT

yeah we have a vent thing that sucks the fumes into some filter device and away from the person. That was reasonable, but I am not sure about the glove crap.

Sleeps with the Fishes talldude's Avatar
    The solder is bound with whatever else the other metal is in there...you're not going to get lead poisoning from it unless you start eating it.

That is exactly what I thought. Thanks for the input.

Originally posted by talldude
    The solder is bound with whatever else the other metal is in there...you're not going to get lead poisoning from it unless you start eating it.
    Oh crap! <spits out>

Thanks
    ...WAIT FOR IT

You should probably tell them to wash their hands after work, otherwise it may get into the food they eat or transfered to the things they touch.

The current rig that 0wnz:
    Antec 2650|A64 3200+|ECS 755-A2|1gb Kingston Value RAM|17" Samsung 730b|Gigabyte 6600GT|8x DVD-RW|160 GB Seagate HD|250 GB external

The rig that 0wned:
    HP Pavilion 9800|1.3ghz P4|384 RDRAM|Radeon 9000pro 128 MB|15" monitor (12" viewable )|30 gig HD|Windows ME (Cheaper than Windows 98!)|12 DVD-ROM|52/24/52 CD-RW|Nice buttons

what? That's like complaining about getting poisoned after going to the shooting range and after cleaning your guns. You wash your freakin hands after you do that stuff. I thought it was common sense.
    Private Psycho Evangelion of the Coolers Guild

Antec TruePower 480w PSU|Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 motherboard|AMD XP 2100+ @2.31ghz (221x10.5) 1.8vcore|DTek White Water Block|DTek Procore|Danger Den Maze4 GPU|Eheim 1250 pump|1/2" Tygon Tubing|A bit of water|512mb Corsair XMS pc 3200 @ 11-2-2-2.0|Albatron Geforce 4 ti4200 Turbo (281/662)|Onboard Soundstorm Audio|Lian Li PC-65 aluminum case|36x stealthed CD-ROM|Toshiba 16x stealthed DVD ROM|Grado Labs SR60 Headphones|

3DMark2001 compare

Hammerhead Shark
    well if you know it's poisonous and it gets all over your hands, sure.

on the other hand, if you know that the manager didn't go for the gloves because the experts told him it was fine, then maybe not.