3 Hard Drives Question

Sharky Forums

Thread: 3 Hard Drives Question

3 Hard Drives Question

Currently I have a 30GB Generic Drive and a 160GB MAxtor Drive. I am getting a new mobo and Athlon 64 3200+ and also a 36.7GB WD Raptor 10,000. If I have the raptor in SATA but the other 2 in PATA..How do i set them up. Do i just connect the IDE cables to the PATAs like normal and then the SATA cable to the raptor? Will the mobo recognize all three hard drives? How do i set the slave/master jumpers for 3?
    Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers

Sharky's Extreme 3DMark Team

The two p-ata drives will connect like usual with one being designated master and the other the slave. The s-ata drive connects to the s-ata controller and is completely seperate from the p-ata controller. There are no jumper settings for '3'. I assume you want to boot from the raptor, so make sure your boot order is set accordingly in the bios.

When Windows is loading, it will ask you to press f6 if you have a scsi or raid driver that needs to be installed. Make sure you do this. Then when it asks, insert the floppy that comes with your motherboard. If it is the MSI you refer to in your sig, it will most likely be a Promise Raid Controller. If your board doesn't come with a floppy, you'll need to make one either from MSI's web site, or the driver cd that comes in the box. Everything else is self explanatory.
    Last edited by drs1771; 08-19-2004 at 09:27 AM.
    drs1771
    Main rig: i7-2600K, Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD, 16GB Kingston Hyper X 1333, 320GB Seagate Sata 3.0 X2 (Raid 0), Intel 40GB SSD Cached (Intel Rapid Storage), ATi Radeon HD5700.

"It's not the size of your sig that matters, its the size of your heatpipe..."

Edit: N/M ^^Beat me to it.
    Last edited by CookIEZ; 08-19-2004 at 09:29 AM.
    I wish I was fishing.
    Tight Lines!!

If it ain't broke fix it till it is!

Thanks guys
    Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers

Sharky's Extreme 3DMark Team