Software use on multiple computers

Sharky Forums

Thread: Software use on multiple computers

Software use on multiple computers

I have 3 computers, 2 at home and 1 at school. I was wondering if there was a way that I could copy my games onto alternate cds and install them on my home computers and still be able to use them, so that when i come home for various breaks, i could still play them..if this isn't legal let me know please. Could i jsut copy the cd onto another cd and use the same cd key? how can i do this?
    Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers

Sharky's Extreme 3DMark Team

some say that strictly speaking it's not legal, but most people would say that under Fair Use it's acceptable to make a backup copy for personal use if you already own the CD. installing on multiple machines is another story, afaik it's usually illegal according to most license agreements (but i won't tell if you don't ).

whether you can just make a 1:1 copy depends on the CD. some manufacturers make that difficult to discourage copying. i guess the only way to tell is to load it up and try.

How do i get around the cd key? Because if i put it on multiple machines won't it see that the same cd key is being used twice?
    Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers

Sharky's Extreme 3DMark Team

Currently: Dallas, US. Originally: Monterrey, Mexico
    Originally posted by flyersguy85
    How do i get around the cd key? Because if i put it on multiple machines won't it see that the same cd key is being used twice?
    Only when you try to use both of them at the same time.

Some companies don't let you install it on multiple computers (mostlly OS) others just don't let you use it simultaneously.
    Last edited by freedonX; 09-06-2004 at 03:56 PM.
    "Est Solarus Oth Mithas"
    My Honor is My Life

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination

By the Power of Greyskull Colossus's Avatar
    Its not really legit to install the same program on more then one machine with only one license (unless allowed through the license)...

Most games do not check the license at time of install, just when trying to use the multiplayer option. Would you run into a problem if both are playing MP at the same time.