Painkiller problem

Sharky Forums

Thread: Painkiller problem

Painkiller problem

Hello,

I just installed painkiller, but it wouldn't run. I tried to install the patch ver 1.3.5 to see if that made a difference, but it is still a no go. It gives me the message: ERROR: could not initialize DirectX 9 Renderer. I already had DX 9.0b installed. I tested the DX using the dxdiag and there were no problems. Anyone else had this problem???
    Athlon XP 1800
    MSI KT3 Ultra 2
    256MB Kingston PC2100
    256MB PNY PC2100
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
    40GB Maxtor 7200rpm
    Memorex 40x CD-Rom
    Microsoft XP Home
    SP2

To get the demo to run, I had to turn the detail down to medium or whatever and change the sound to I think the stereo driver. I got the interface to start up, but it always died when I got into the game itself. Someone on a newsgroup helped me by telling me to turn down the detail & lighting levels and changing the sound driver, and after I did that, it worked. Crap game though, at least it seemed to me, so all that work for nothing.

The demo didn't do the game justice IMO. Its all about the weapons with Painkiller..and the demo didn't include very many so alot of people judged the game on that, poor decision IMO by the developers to release the demo the way they did.

Anyway back to your question, we need some more info to get a better handle on the problem, like what OS are you running? System specs? etc etc.
    Sharky Extreme 3DMark Team
    i5-750 @ 3.15Ghz w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212+||Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3||4x2GB Corsair XMS3||Gigabyte HD 5850||Corsair 650HX PSU||Dell 2405||Win7 HP

Jexx11 on Xbox360 & Steam
    gar on Xfire
    Currently Playing: 360: CoD MW 2, PC: WoW, Borderlands, Call of Duty: Black Ops

Originally posted by Gar
    The demo didn't do the game justice IMO. Its all about the weapons with Painkiller..and the demo didn't include very many so alot of people judged the game on that, poor decision IMO by the developers to release the demo the way they did.

Anyway back to your question, we need some more info to get a better handle on the problem, like what OS are you running? System specs? etc etc.
    It's all in his sig, but he could let us know what version of the
    Cats he's running.
    Prince of the OC Crusaders

Intel i7 3.2GHz @ 4.24GHz
    Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3-1600 (quad channel)
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz
    Asus 20x DVD-RW DL DVD-RW

Originally posted by Gar
    I thought the weapons were lacking. Stake gun was cool, but compared to innovative weapons like Heretic had back in the day, I felt they were a let down. One thing I liked about Far Cry was the diversity in weapons. Painkiller felt like a mix of Heretic & Serious Sam, sorta, only lacking in Co-Op, which was a major game killer for me. Plus it had horrible AI, IMO. Unreal Tournament has set the bar high for AI, I feel.

Yeah Painkiller definately had its weaknesses, but I think it was pretty good for a "surprise" game. By that I mean a game that didn't have 6 months of hype leading up to it.

I was pretty happy with the weapons in PK, not the best ever, but the stake gun was pretty cool sticking people to the wall

The AI was pretty crappy too, but to be honest I don't think I have played a single player FPS game in a very long time that I could actually consider to have "good" AI. I guess playing so much multi-player has spoiled me.
    i5-750 @ 3.15Ghz w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212+||Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3||4x2GB Corsair XMS3||Gigabyte HD 5850||Corsair 650HX PSU||Dell 2405||Win7 HP

gar on Xfire

Well, I got it to run... somehow. Previously, my automatic update downloaded SP2, but I didn't want to install it because I heard that there were conflicts with some games. I thought that maybe something was currupt on my computer that was making the game not want to run, so I decided to install SP2 to see what it was like since I was probably going to reformat my hard drive. After SP2 was installed and my computer rebooted, I tried to run the game. It loaded right away and runs without a hitch. Before I installed SP2, I downloaded the newest cat driver. But it wouldn't run until I installed SP2.

Anyway, I don't think it is a bad game. It reminds me of Doom 2 in a way.

Does SP2 do something to DirectX and that is why it won't run some games?
    Athlon XP 1800
    MSI KT3 Ultra 2
    256MB Kingston PC2100
    256MB PNY PC2100
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
    40GB Maxtor 7200rpm
    Memorex 40x CD-Rom
    Microsoft XP Home
    SP2

Im not 100% sure, but I think SP2 updates DirectX to 9.0c

gar on Xfire

Hammerhead Shark
    Originally posted by Gar
    Im not 100% sure, but I think SP2 updates DirectX to 9.0c
    I just checked my comp at work it is a clean install and all I installed on it was sp2 and it has DirectX version 9.0c so it looks like it does.
    Q6600 - Abit IX38 QuadGT - G.Skill pc2 -6400 cas4 2GB X 4 - BFG 295 GTX - WD 750GB SE16 - Seagate 1.5TB 7200.11 - Corsair HX620 - Klipsch Ultras - Dell 2407FPW

So I am smarter than I thought

gar on Xfire

Mako Shark
    just to let you know.. I cant use that latest patch.. it kills my game stright off and all it does is keeps dying with crashes to desktop.... I go back one patch and everything is fine... dont understand it but oh well.
    Intel I7 920 @3.5MHz,12gigs DDR3 triple channel ram, Nvidia GTX 560 Video card, Twin Asus dvd burners, Twin 24inch Asus Monitors. Logitech 5300E 5.1 speakers, Logitech G5, Razer Diamonback and Microsoft Arc Mouses, 4TB hard drive space .