Temporary HTPC setup

Sharky Forums

Thread: Temporary HTPC setup

Hybrid View

Temporary HTPC setup

This is a temporary setup until I get my receiver. I have titans and atoms(both version 1s) hooked to a klipsch ultra sub/amp along with a JBL 12" sub hooked to the amp via the svs port. The soundcard I am using is a TBSC. The speakers together cost me $250. The sub was $250. This setup is substantially better than any other "computer" speakers I've used.

Future upgrades:

Harman Kardon AVR235
    Terratac, Julia, or M-Audio soundcard
    Speaker stands

PARADIGM TITAN AND ATOM BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS
    The atoms and titans are easily well driven and mesh together perfectly. Even at high levels, they never seem to need more power. They provide a very clear and detail sound. Very noticeable difference from the ultras speakers(my gf noticed right off the bat how much better they sound even though she forbid me to buy them, lol). They have a low end presence which most bookshelf speakers lack.

JBL 250EP 12" 250 SUB
    Best value sub in my opinion. I've tried klipsch, yamaha, sony, infinity, and polk audio entry subs. None of them perfom as good as the JBL does. I haven't tried the dayton 10" since it is only available online so I can't comment on it. The JBL provides bass with authority without the negative boominess. A real upgrade from the ultra's sub. Can't wait until I try it with the receiver as the sws port doesn't provide enough power for it.

I'll keep updating as I move the speaker placement around to find the best sound.

That JBL sub looks very classy. I like how it matches your Titans/Atoms. Are the Titans/Atoms shielded? (next to your pc)
    Spoiler

Originally posted by soupnazi
    That JBL sub looks very classy. I like how it matches your Titans/Atoms. Are the Titans/Atoms shielded? (next to your pc)
    Yup im pretty sure they are sheilded. I emailed paradigm about it and await their answer.

Doesn't it sound weird with the speakers all on the floor? You should put the Titans on the desk until you get your stands.

Originally posted by xcjago
    Doesn't it sound weird with the speakers all on the floor? You should put the Titans on the desk until you get your stands.
    I've tried that. Not enough room, so the sound is not right. They sound pretty good on the floor, stacked. I just need to get something to go in between the ground and the speakers(i.e. foam). But this is just until I get my stands.

Originally posted by number1sixerfan
    Yup im pretty sure they are sheilded. I emailed paradigm about it and await their answer.
    I have a pair of the Titans and they are not sheilded. At one point they where around my monitor and you could see the distortion. Now they are in my actual home theater room in my house.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    - Asus M50 Laptop - C2D T9300 - 4 gig RAM - Radeon HD 3650 - Vista x64 Ultimate

- Intel i7-3770K - Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE - 32gig RAM - Radeon HD7970 Ghz - Plextor M3 256GB/120GB OCZ Vertex3
    - LG BluRay - Razor Blackwidow Ultimate Keyboard - Logitech G9x
    - HP ZR2740w/Asus LCD - W7 Ultimate

Mako Shark
    What makes that an HTPC?
    If you really want 'em to be a single unit, duct tape your router to your modem. - Skydog 5/5/2005

MAIN - HP - e6300, 2GB DDR2, 300GB HDD, 250GB HDD, `6x DVD-RW, ATI X800GT, 500w Rosewill PSU

Work - eMachine T6520, A64 3400+, 1GB PC 3200, 300GB HDD, 16x DVD R/RW, CD-ROM, Via Envy Sound

HTPC - 2500XP, 1GB PC3200, 60GB HDD, 8x DVD R/RW, Via Envy Sound, ATI 9600PRO, 380w Antec PSU

SERVER - 1800XP, 512MB PC2100, 3x40GB HDD (RAID5), 2x40GB HDD (RAID1), DDS3 Tape Drive, 300w Enermax PSU

It's more of a "PCHT".

*copywrite Soup 2005*
    Last edited by soupnazi; 01-11-2005 at 03:58 PM.
    Spoiler

Originally posted by ksuohio
    I have a pair of the Titans and they are not sheilded. At one point they where around my monitor and you could see the distortion. Now they are in my actual home theater room in my house.
    Certain versions are sheilded. I'm hoping that everything will be alright. I have them around my monitor and I'll see how everything goes.

Certain versions are sheilded. I'm hoping that everything will be alright. I have them around my monitor and I'll see how everything goes.
    Which model number do you have? They would say MagneShield on them if they where shielded.

- Intel i7-3770K - Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE - 32gig RAM - Radeon HD7970 Ghz - Plextor M3 256GB/120GB OCZ Vertex3

Originally posted by ksuohio
    Which model number do you have? They would say MagneShield on them if they where shielded.
    I have v1's. I bought them used. I didn't think they were sheilded until I placed them right beside my monitor. There hasn't been one glitch yet. Wouldn't the monitor have shown signs already?

Ya, it should show up right away if there were any problems.

Nice setup Sixerfan, those speakers look really classy. I'm sure it will sound even better when you get some stands

Man these speakers are really worth every penny. I find myself playing my music about 15% lower because they are more effecient than the ultras satellites were.

Today I turned the subs completely off and the speakers' low end showed its strength. These are the best speakers I've had and I can guarantee that these will not be the last paradigm speakers I own.

I would have gotten axiom speakers, but most reveiwers agreed that they lacked low end. However they are supposed to have slightly better detail than the atoms.

Man these speakers are really worth every penny. I find myself playing my music about 15% lower because they are more effecient than the ultras satellites were.

Today I turned the subs completely off and the speakers' low end showed its strength. These are the best speakers I've had and I can guarantee that these will not be the last paradigm speakers I own.

I would have gotten axiom speakers, but most reveiwers agreed that they lacked low end. However they are supposed to have slightly better detail than the atoms.
    I've really become a big fan of Paradigm as well. My HT has over a couple grand of their equipment.