personal video compilation - High Quality Adaptive Error Compensation in DVD Shrink?

Sharky Forums

Thread: personal video compilation - High Quality Adaptive Error Compensation in DVD Shrink?

personal video compilation - High Quality Adaptive Error Compensation in DVD Shrink?

I compiled a bunch of home video holiday chips from VHS-C into one 7 gig output file via Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2. I want to fit all of that onto a single DVD-R, so naturally figured I'd use DVD Shrink, since its Deep Analysis pretty much beats anything I can get with a Ulead product by changing bit rates.

So, I downloaded the latest version of DVD Shrink, now up to 3.2.0.15, and found a new option on the Quality Settings tab:

- High Quality Adaptive Error Compensation

Read the help files and what not, but am still having a hard time figuring out which setting to use. There are 4 settings - Maximum Smoothness, Maximum Sharpness, Smooth and the default - Sharp.

I pretty much rule out the first two "Maximum" options, cause I don't want to over-do it. That leaves the two other options - Smooth and Sharp. I've done some test outputs using both Sharp and Smooth (thank goodness for DVD-RW's) but for the life of me, even with an S-Video connection between my DVD player and my TV, I can't seem to see much difference between the two options visually.

Can anyone share their opinion on which setting provides them with the highest quality output? Is it noticeable? Or should I just do the default and forget about it all?

I'd appreciate some helpful info and/or opinions if you have any.

Thank you very much,

BK

BK,
    AEC or Adaptive Error Compensation is supposed to compensate for artifacts introduced into the picture due to compression. Visible differences between the settings would only be evident if these artifacts were indeed present in a previous compilation without the application of AEC.
    With that said, there may be no discernable differences if there are no artifacts are present, so I'm afraid the selection here is purely preferential and would vary on a situational basis.

Though I do not use DVD Shrink frequently, I omit the implemention of these settings whenever I do utilize the application.
    Last edited by Nemesys; 01-19-2005 at 10:45 AM.
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe CPU: Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K 3.4GHz @ 5.0GHz (Coolermaster V8 Cooler) RAM: 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 PC12800 Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX460 Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio Monitor: HP 2711x (27” LED) SSD: 120GB OCZ Vertex 4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 1000W

Originally posted by Nemesys
    Though I do not use DVD Shrink frequently, I omit the implemention of these settings whenever I do utilize the application.
    Thanks much. Looks like with 80% or higher quality rate, this feature may not come into play very much, as you mentioned, so that could be why it's so hard to tell any difference. I'll keep expermimenting, I guess.

i normally only appy those extra settings if i get around the 60% mark for compression. and even then, for some reason its hit or miss. meaning somtimes my pc will completely shut down in the middle of it or complete it.
    my rig

cpu: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.5ghz
    mobo: AsRock Z68 Extreme4
    ram: 4x4gig GSkill Ripjaw X ddr3 1866
    cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    mouse: Logitech G500
    video: MSI GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
    hdd(s): Crucial M4 SSD 240 gig (Windows 7)
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (data drive)
    dvd +/- r: Pioneer 111D D/L
    monitor: 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
    psu: PC P&C 610W
    chassis: NZXT Phantom

Sleeps with the Fishes Freddy_Kruger's Avatar
    Hey bearded, I used DVD shrink once, But I didnt like it. I got the Recent Star Wars Trilogy and I was planing to put each movie on 1 dvd. There was , I thought noticeble qualtily loss.
    But this is the guide I used. . It was very helpful.

Since each of my movie files were almost 8gigs I used dvdfab and
    this guide. I liked it much better with no compression. But its Star Wars lol.

BozoKiller
    Nice links Mr Kruger - thank you kindly
    Delete the Electoral College - Support
    www.NationalPopularVote.com

"The world according to DRM Bozos"

I am a consumer, I'll buy anything
    I am a sheep, I am cattle, I follow the herd
    I am ignorant, a dumbass, and I am a bozo...
    I am the epitome of the 'rank and file'
    I am your next door neighbor
    I am 95% of American Consumers
    I will consume you

• If the light in your head hasn't come on yet,
      I suggest you go get a new bulb!

Sleeps with the Fishes Freddy_Kruger's Avatar
    Originally posted by I4one
    Nice links Mr Kruger - thank you kindly
    Every thousand posts or so, I help someone.

Originally posted by Freddy_Kruger
    Hey bearded, I used DVD shrink once, But I didnt like it. I got the Recent Star Wars Trilogy and I was planing to put each movie on 1 dvd. There was , I thought noticeble qualtily loss.
    But this is the guide I used. . It was very helpful.

Since each of my movie files were almost 8gigs I used dvdfab and
    this guide. I liked it much better with no compression. But its Star Wars lol.
    Thanks very much!

I've also had good luck with this Mr Bass site:

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/

Dude is cool.