BenQ DW1620 install

Sharky Forums

Thread: BenQ DW1620 install

Expensive Sushi Kazushi Sakuraba's Avatar

Question BenQ DW1620 install

I fumbled my way through the hardware install of my new BenQ DW1620 DVD RW/R drive. Much to my surprise my computer did not explode on reboot. Win2kpro recognized the new mass storage device just fine but was unable to locate an appropriate driver. I went to the BenQ support/driver page http://www.benq.com/drivers/storage_drivers.html and tried the B7P9 firmware upgrade but was prompted to flash only my other drive (plexter cdrw). Naturally I canceled and am now wallowing in my own ineptitude. Someone want to point me in the right direction?

Cool maybe

some system specs would help.

i am trying to figure out why you needed to update the firmware, it shouldn't have anything to do with basic operation of the unit.

your OS should have recognized the drive automatically, something tells me you have it enclosed in a USB 2.0 enclosure (mass storage device)

there should be a drivers disk that came with the enclosure, you may have to direct your computer to that CD, or install the drivers from the CD................or.

i have a liteon 16x DVD +/-, CD-RW combo drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure, loaded it up and installed stuffs as per instructions, works like a dream everytime...........

baldy
    Last edited by bldegle2; 02-10-2005 at 09:22 PM.
    I am gettin too old for all this st.ff!

Specs? it runs.................

Tbird quotes:

"I dont care that much for gaming"
    "I am done with 3dmark."

AsRock 970 Extreme4,Vishera 8320 @4.6, Vertex 4 256GB SataIII SSD, 2xVelociraptor 600GB 10,000 spinner in raid 0 storage....16g Gskill DDR3 2133 @2292, ATI 6850, back on huge air (quiet)....HP Laptop redone OS (ie, no HP krud), AMD Phenom II N620, 8gig DDR3 1333 ram, Sanddisk SataII 120GB SSD, Toshiba 500GB 7200 spinner...

well..since it's internal...a mass storage device would be wrong. make sure that you've matched up the pin 1 to pin 1 on your ide cable and set the proper jumper on the drive.
    "If brute force doesn't solve your problem, then your not using enough!"

P4 3ghz // Asus P5P800 // 1gb RAM // Radeon 9800pro // Seagate 160gb 7200.7 // LG DVD Burner // Lite-On CD Burner // Viewsonic PF795 19" // Altec Lansing ACS54 // Sony Studio Monitor Headphones

sys specs (hold laughter plz )

I put this together like 4 years ago and only upgraded the video once (was a geForce 2 Ha!)

1.2 athlon thunderbird
    kt7 raid mobo
    sound blaster plat 5.1
    radeon 9200
    45 gig ibm deckstar
    512 sdram
    plextor 12/10/32a

Plextor is set up as master on one IDE
    Ibm on another
    BenQ as master on Location 7 PCI bus 0, device 19, function 0

In device manager it shows up as other device->mass storage controller underneath network adapters and above ports (COM&LPT)

When system is booting up it shows that it is recognizing the drive. Hardware wiz starts but when it looks for a driver in WINNT/inf, it can't find one. The only disks that came with the drive are the software suite containing sonic recordNow, InterVideo WinCinema etc. The other disk is a blank DVD. Just for fun I tried searching both of those disks for the driver. Nada! The only thing I could find at the BenQ URL was a flash for the firmware, no driver.

Anything else I should relay? thx for any help

checked all connections etc. Decided to hook it up where my plextor was and device manager says its all good. Was my problem that I had it in the wrong bus? How do I get my plextor in line now? I have the basic idea but I'm not sure about the whole slave master thing.

Assuming you had the Plextor and BenQ units on the same IDE line you will probably find They are both jumpered as Master. You need to change a jumper on the back of the Plextor unit to slave (assuming the BenQ is now Master). As stated above you should not need any drivers installing an internal optical drive.
    You may need to check the BenQ drive to see if that actually is jumpered to Master rather than cable select (CS)
    If the jumper positions are the same as my optical drives then looking at the back of the unit you should see a row of 3pairs of pins next to the IDE connector. The middle set of pins is for Slave the right set of pins is for master and the left set of pins is for CS.
    Newest comp DFI nf2 ultra xp1500-m @223*10.5 or XP2500-M barton @230*10.5
    new comp- 8RDA+, xp2100 TbredB @202*11, 2*twinmos 3200 (non winbond), 9700 pro, Maxtor 9 plus 80gb &120GB, Hitachi CML174SWB 17" LCD
    Old comp KT7A Axia 1ghz @1.38GHZ,
    GF3 ti200, Compaq 910 19" Monitor

Hiya

My plextor and BenQ were not on the same ide chain. Originally I had the plextor hooked up to one of the 3 ata/66 ide bus and the BenQ on one of the 4 ata/100 bus which I believe is apart of the raid. Maybe those spots don't read the same as the other ide bus. When I completely disconnected my plextor and hooked up the BenQ in its place, everything worked fine. Do I have to make the plextor a slave or can I use those other ide spots?

I hope that makes sense hehe

Think you will find optical drives will not work if attached to the High Point HTP370 controller (ie raid ports).
    new comp- 8RDA+, xp2100 TbredB @202*11, 2*twinmos 3200 (non winbond), 9700 pro, Maxtor 9 plus 80gb &120GB, Hitachi CML174SWB 17" LCD

Originally posted by Lord Vetinari
    Think you will find optical drives will not work if attached to the High Point HTP370 controller (ie raid ports).
    I did find that out.

Your confirmation was exactly what I needed!

So does this mean I have to set up the drives as master and slave? Is it as simple as setting the jumpers?
    Is one a better choice as the master?

So does this mean I have to set up the drives as master and slave? Is it as simple as setting the jumpers?
    Is one a better choice as the master?

Assuming you are using one of the non raid IDE ports that has nothing else attached then yes you just need to set one as master and one as slave. It should not matter which one is the master.

Thx for the help.

I'll give the slave/master thing a try on the morrow

cheers!