compaq hd, recovering files

Sharky Forums

Thread: compaq hd, recovering files

Sushi

compaq hd, recovering files

I'm trying to get a coworker's docs off his drive. Drive came out of a compaq. I installed the drive in my machine, but browsing the folders, I can't see any docs. The normal directory structure is there, with an "owner" user. There's all the sample files, but nothing that he created. The partition shows 3.51 gigs used on a xp install. Is this some kind of privacy thing, or are the files just not there? I don't know if he tried any kind of system recovery, but windows was dorked on the drive. My last factory comp was a 486, so I don't know much about what comp vendors do with this kind of thing. The drive has a recovery partition though.

Whatever you do, dont select the recovery partition. Compaq/other OEM recovery partitions tend to wipe all user data and restore the OS to a new shop install.

in c:\docs and settings, check if there are other user accounts apart from owner. There should be administrator and maybe more profiles. The data will probably be in there.
    Compaq A910em: T2330 dual core 1.6Ghz, X3100 384MB GPU, 160GB sata HDD, 2GB RAM
    Gaming rig: Asus Striker II, Coolermaster GX 750w, E4600 @ 2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, Zerotherm FZ 120, 9500GT 1GB
    Server: Mac mini running W23k Server - 1.8Ghz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 1x80GB, 2x500GB externals + LTO1 tape backup

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders