Upgraded: 512MB vs 1GB Benchmarks Inside

Sharky Forums

Thread: Upgraded: 512MB vs 1GB Benchmarks Inside

Threaded View

Originally posted by Freddy_Kruger
    I went from 512 to a gig, not sure if there was any difference but at least I can brag that I got a gig.
    Your rig is similar to mine. If you want to be sure, pull one of your modules and play some games with the RES cranked, open up a few programs , surf with multiple browser windows with multiple tabs open. Then do the same with the other module resinstalled.

I want everyone to keep in mind that prior to getting this memory, I was a person who believed that 512 is more then enough. I ran these benchmarks partially to see if I was justified in buying the RAM and if I should return/ebay them. After seeing the results, I now wouldn't build a good gaming rig without a GIG.

Fact of the matter is, the average performance increase in games ranged from 10% to 45%. Load times were up to TWICE as fast. And "Smoothness" in the games, as measured by the minimum frame rate tests, was anywhere from 4 to 10 times faster.

Will it yield the same frame rates as buying a 6800 ULTRA or X850 Platinum? No. But then again, I paid only $93 for the RAM.

To those that our building their systems and reading this thread, keep in mind that a Dual Channel Corsair Value Select 512Mb kit runs for $60 at New Egg. The same kit except in 1GB size runs for $99. Look at the benchmarks as asks yourself if a 4x to 10X increase in minimum rates, 10 to 47% improvement in frame rates, and a 100% improvement in load time worth $40!
    Last edited by Fiero; 03-21-2005 at 02:07 AM.
    I’m very discrete. I have no code of brand loyalty. I will build anything, anywhere; Gaming PC, workstation, HTPC, doesn’t matter. I just love building.