Upgraded: 512MB vs 1GB Benchmarks Inside - Page 3

Sharky Forums

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded: 512MB vs 1GB Benchmarks Inside

Originally posted by Freddy_Kruger
    I went from 512 to a gig, not sure if there was any difference but at least I can brag that I got a gig.
    Your rig is similar to mine. If you want to be sure, pull one of your modules and play some games with the RES cranked, open up a few programs , surf with multiple browser windows with multiple tabs open. Then do the same with the other module resinstalled.

I want everyone to keep in mind that prior to getting this memory, I was a person who believed that 512 is more then enough. I ran these benchmarks partially to see if I was justified in buying the RAM and if I should return/ebay them. After seeing the results, I now wouldn't build a good gaming rig without a GIG.

Fact of the matter is, the average performance increase in games ranged from 10% to 45%. Load times were up to TWICE as fast. And "Smoothness" in the games, as measured by the minimum frame rate tests, was anywhere from 4 to 10 times faster.

Will it yield the same frame rates as buying a 6800 ULTRA or X850 Platinum? No. But then again, I paid only $93 for the RAM.

To those that our building their systems and reading this thread, keep in mind that a Dual Channel Corsair Value Select 512Mb kit runs for $60 at New Egg. The same kit except in 1GB size runs for $99. Look at the benchmarks as asks yourself if a 4x to 10X increase in minimum rates, 10 to 47% improvement in frame rates, and a 100% improvement in load time worth $40!
    Last edited by Fiero; 03-21-2005 at 02:07 AM.
    I’m very discrete. I have no code of brand loyalty. I will build anything, anywhere; Gaming PC, workstation, HTPC, doesn’t matter. I just love building.

This guy knows what hes talking about. But your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by stonez; 03-21-2005 at 01:52 AM.

Every rig that plays a computer game in my house has a gig of RAM in it. The benchmark reported matches excatly to my real world experience. Good job!

I find it ironic that the only person questioning the results, Zerocool, also has a gig in his machine.

Anyway, nice work!
    Laptop: Inspiron 8600 | Pentium M - 1.5GHz | 1.5GB RAM | 80GB 7200RPM | ATI Mobility 9600 Pro | Runs WoW OK
    Gaming: ASUS P5B Deluxe | E6600 | NSK6500 | 2GB RAM | EVGA 7900GTO | 2xWD 5000KS | NEC 3550A | Dell 2405 | Runs WoW Great!
    Garage1: IBM PC 5150 | 4.77MHz 8088 | 640KB RAM | 2x160KB Floppy | 10MB HD | 320x200x4 color | Runs Bards Tale Great!
    Garage2: Apple II+ | 1.0MHz 6502 | 48KB RAM | 2x140KB Floppies | 40x48x16 color | Runs Wizardry Great!

[Insert witty title here] Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
    Just got a gig of RAM for $100 at ZZF, and am quite pleased.

No, it won't give the kind of performance a $400+ video card upgrade would, but then again, its $100 for a whole gig of RAM, which is quite a bit more reasonable.
    Also taking into account how you can always build on your RAM to increase your memory, instead of having to discard it like a video card is a bonus.
    If you already have 512Mb of quality RAM, another 512 stick is around $50-$70, depending on type and speed, so there really is no comparing it to a new videocard at all.

And as far as someone building a new gaming rig right now, with memory prices so low, there really is no good reason aside from strict budget concerns not to get a gig.

Memory has always been an investment sort of thing.
    Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; 03-21-2005 at 03:44 AM.
    Current System
    | Intel Core i7 950 | Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | OCZ 6Gb DDR3 1600 | PNY GeForce GTX 570 | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 7 Pro x64

Currently Playing: The Old Republic, Fallout New Vegas, Xenoblade Chronicles
    Last Completed:Super Mario Land 3D..... 8.5/10

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff
    Just got a gig of RAM for $100 at ZZF, and am quite pleased.

No, it won't give the kind of performance a $400+ video card upgrade would, but then again, its $100 for a whole gig of RAM, which is quite a bit more reasonable.
    What counts most is that you feel the expense was worth it, and if you do, then more power to ya, man.

[Insert witty title here] Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
    Originally posted by Bearded Kirklander
    What counts most is that you feel the expense was worth it, and if you do, then more power to ya, man.
    I do.

I view it as an investment. We all know games very soon will be pushing the envelope of systems (Battlefield 2 anyone??) and are going to be very RAM hungry indeed. Most games out now recommend a gig of RAM, and have 512 as a minimum. I just think its silly not to take advantage of these great prices and invest in some quality RAM for a system that you're going to want and need as the year unfolds.
    Current System
    | Intel Core i7 950 | Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | OCZ 6Gb DDR3 1600 | PNY GeForce GTX 570 | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 7 Pro x64

Currently Playing: The Old Republic, Fallout New Vegas, Xenoblade Chronicles
    Last Completed:Super Mario Land 3D..... 8.5/10

Catfish
    Ok the ultimate RAM proof !

My GF and I both play Sacred, hers p4 2.0 mine P4 2.4
    her card a GF5200 mine 9600 ATI
    her ram pc2100 1 gig , mine pc3200 512

we both were playing single play for about 2 hours , we both shut down exact time to see if the ram made a diffrence ...

Well I was still sitting looking at my icons resizing while she was getting ready for bed !
    I better speed up my ram to make more time for "other things"
    LOL
    $62.00 US for another 2x 256 , yeah I think its worth it LOL
    "The Frugal PC Enthusiast "

Usually you compare two identical systems with only one difference, not two totally different computers There is no way to know what caused the difference in speed. Totally different hardware, and probably software as well.

Sleeps with the Fishes Freddy_Kruger's Avatar
    Originally posted by Fiero
    Your rig is similar to mine. If you want to be sure, pull one of your modules and play some games with the RES cranked, open up a few programs , surf with multiple browser windows with multiple tabs open. Then do the same with the other module resinstalled.

Thats a great Idea. I'm not real good at recognizing small changes like when I went from 9600pro to 9800pro... Nothing.

The biggest and most satisfying, immediate happiness inducing computer buynig moments not including system upgrade is:

1: Flat screen monitor. Before I got this I had a giant 13 year old 19" viewable mitubishi that one of my customers gave me (I had to get it fixed). it weighed about a hundred pounds and could keep a large size room heated in the winter.

My new modren monitor is just great and I wonder why I didnt get one sooner.

My 2nd favorite purchase was a quality speaker system and sound card.
    Before I bought a sound card and quality speakers I had those two little plastic 5 dollar speakers with onboard sound. Now I could not go back.

Catfish
    UH ? yeah her computer hardware is Um ,well slower, (slower processor , slower RAM, but more , slower vid card ), her PC mark 03 score 2300, mine 3100 (avarage ).

but I see where your going , yep, you don't need it don't spend the money its a waste of time for you .
    HA !
    "The Frugal PC Enthusiast "

I noticed a HUGE difference in my 9500pro to 9800pro upgrade. I turned on everything to full and watched it fly. My 9500pro would stutter my 9800pro wouldn't. I notice these things, other do as well. But several don't, which leads to buyers remorse and general crabbiness on a certain forum.s

Originally posted by stonez
    I noticed a HUGE difference in my 9500pro to 9800pro upgrade. I turned on everything to full and watched it fly. My 9500pro would stutter my 9800pro wouldn't. I notice these things, other do as well. But several don't, which leads to buyers remorse and general crabbiness on a certain forum.s
    I kinda felt the same way when going from my 9800 Pro 128 to the X800 Pro 256. Certain games just flat out play better, and it's very noticeable. Far Cry, LOTR BFME and even UT2004 during intense frag sessions. Not to mention that I can finally use AA without stuttering in more modern games. I'm grateful as heck to have found one of these BB ATI cards for the retail price.

Mr Zurkon is here to kill PointlesS's Avatar
    1gb is a lifesaver for me...having ut's level editor open + photoshop + 3ds max...along with foobar...irc and trillian...when projects start getting more complicated...I start hitting the limit and almost feel the need to get 1.5gb...
    Lian Li PC-K7B | Intel i5 750 | 4GB A-Data 1600 | Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R | XFX Radeon 5850 | 2-640GB WD Caviar Blue | X-fi Xtrememusic | Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra | Dell U2311H | Antec Basiq Plus 550W | NEC 3550A | Win7 Ultimate x64
    and a whole lot of lovin..

Just an update for anyone looking at Value Select Ram. Without increasing voltage, I am prime stable at Cas2 2-3-3-6. That is the same as the $175 XMS modules. My other rig runs stable at CAS 2-3-3-7 with VS modules as well.

If your not overclocking, then you may want to look into these.
    I’m very discrete. I have no code of brand loyalty. I will build anything, anywhere; Gaming PC, workstation, HTPC, doesn’t matter. I just love building.

Sweet, I was wondering how well they did.