Upgraded: 512MB vs 1GB Benchmarks Inside - Page 4

Sharky Forums

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Upgraded: 512MB vs 1GB Benchmarks Inside

I wonder if I should buy 512 more RAM or a video card first...

512 --> 1 gig = $50

TI4200 --> 6600gt = $200

Hmm.
    I used to own a nice tower, but then it was too expensive to upgrade consistently. And I only play Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors DEATHMATCH. And that doesn't need a lot of power (PM me if you want to get in some games). So now I own a MacBook, but I like to think of myself as a well-informed Apple convert who still uses Windows sometimes.
    I like the internet. So I have this www.tarentinos.com for wallpapers that I make since it is a strange obsession of mine. How wonderful.

both, for 250. You will see the biggest benefit first off from the 6600gt.

[Insert witty title here] Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
    Originally posted by stonez
    both, for 250. You will see the biggest benefit first off from the 6600gt.
    Agreed. Might as well get both.

But for someone like you, the Vid card probably does make more sense. Coming from a 4200, a $200 6600GT is a very good choice for the money, you'll see a big improvement, and probably makes more sense than alot of memory.

But for people with mid-range graphics cards (like mine) who only have 512mb, spending $400 on a new graphics card to actually see any kind of performance increase wahtsoever over their current cards is not smart when a whole gig of RAM now is less than $100.

Its all about bang for the buck. If you have to pay around $400 to see any kind of noticeable increase over your current video card, memory is probably a better investment. But if your video card is old enough to where you WILL see a nice improvement in a $200 card, by all means, you NEED that $200 card.
    Current System
    | Intel Core i7 950 | Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | OCZ 6Gb DDR3 1600 | PNY GeForce GTX 570 | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 7 Pro x64

Currently Playing: The Old Republic, Fallout New Vegas, Xenoblade Chronicles
    Last Completed:Super Mario Land 3D..... 8.5/10

Wow....it's 2019 now. I still have the hardware from this benchmarking session, with the same RAM!

Of course my main rig is running 32GB now. LOL
    I’m very discrete. I have no code of brand loyalty. I will build anything, anywhere; Gaming PC, workstation, HTPC, doesn’t matter. I just love building.

Sushi
    That's crazy cool! I've probably changed 3 rigs since then. haha

Expensive Sushi
    If you have the budget then go for the bigger one.