Co-op RTS/Strategy

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co-op RTS/Strategy

Co-op RTS/Strategy

other than a few maps in WC3,and a few missions in C&CRA2 anyone know of any good co-op play for RTS/Strategy?
    Antec 900
    Ultra LSP 650W
    ASUS Striker Extreme
    Q6600 G0 Step
    Vista H. Prem. -64bit
    EVGA 512MB 8800GTS OC (G92)
    Creative Titanium X-fi Pro
    OCZ 1GB x 2
    Corsair XMS2 2GB x 2

500GB Seagate 7200.11 HDD
    20X Samsung SATA DVD (x2)

MS Natural 4000 ergo
    MS Sidewinder Mouse
    Saitek Cyborg gamepad
    Ideazon Fang controller
    Headphones- Sennheiser PC 350s

Zerotherm NV120 Premium
    Fans 120mm(x5) + 200mm(x1)

Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins,LOTS of Rockband PS3!!, PSXE

Tiger Shark
    The "team melee" mode in Starcraft can be a blast if the you and the guy on your team have any sort of in-game chemistry. You both control the same units and buildings so it can allow one of you to focus a lot more on micromanagement type things. And it's the only way (short of mind controlling a drone or scv with a dark archon) to build buildings of more than one race.
    [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Hammerhead Shark
    Sadly, there haven't been many games that have included as many co-op features as good old Starcraft.

Motherboard: ASUS P5QL Pro LGA 775
    Processor: Q6600 @2.4
    RAM: 4 gig OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
    Harddrive: 250 gig Seagate SATA 3.0g
    Video Card: ASUS EAH 4850 512meg
    Operating System: Windows 7

Mr Zurkon is here to kill PointlesS's Avatar
    age of empires II
    Lian Li PC-K7B | Intel i5 750 | 4GB A-Data 1600 | Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R | XFX Radeon 5850 | 2-640GB WD Caviar Blue | X-fi Xtrememusic | Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra | Dell U2311H | Antec Basiq Plus 550W | NEC 3550A | Win7 Ultimate x64
    and a whole lot of lovin..

Senor Sausage
    Originally posted by PointlesS
    age of empires II
    Cheers to that.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Weistber

Gaming Rig Status: Up
    | i5-2500 | MSI GTX560 | 2x2GB Corsair ValueRam

Games I'm playing: Witcher 2 (PC), RAGE(PC), Fallout: New Vegas (PC), Gears Of War 3 (X360)

A buddy and I used to play 2v2 with computer players in WC3. It got old after a while, but it was fun for a few games.
    ||Intel Dual-Core 1.8 GHz||GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3||EVGA GeForce 8600GTS||
    ||G.SKILL 2GB||Seagate Barracuda 250GB||PHILIPS 20X DVD±R||COOLER MASTER Centurion 5||

||A64 3000+||Chaintech SK8T800|Radeon 9800 Pro||
    ||1 gig PC2700||WD 80gig 7200||BenQ 1620 16x4x40x24||XDreamer II||

Hammerhead Shark
    What did EE2 have for co-op? Could you have 2 people control the same civ? I'm not as familiar with it as some of the other games.

Motherboard: ASUS P5QL Pro LGA 775
    Processor: Q6600 @2.4
    RAM: 4 gig OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
    Harddrive: 250 gig Seagate SATA 3.0g
    Video Card: ASUS EAH 4850 512meg
    Operating System: Windows 7

Originally posted by Schmunkel98
    What did EE2 have for co-op? Could you have 2 people control the same civ?
    Yes, with shared upgrade paths.
    RIG:
    XCLIO 2000 Black & Titanium Case
    KingWin Gold Certified 80+ 1000 Watt PS
    Asus P8Z77-V Premium Motherboard
    Intel Core I7 3770K @ 5.0 gHz
    Corsair CWCH70 Hydro Series H80 CPU Liquid Cooler
    CORSAIR Vengence 16GB
    PowerColor Radeon 7990 6GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 SSD
    1TB WD Black Edition SATA 3 + 3TB Seagate SATA 3
    Panasonic DVD
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit

Not Pirate... Arrrchiver Mr Cherry's Avatar
    Azure Towers Scenerios in WC3:FT is really fun, but you have to have an even number of friends to play it.

Marine Commando maps for Starcraft are pretty good too.
    Last edited by Mr Cherry; 05-17-2005 at 06:31 PM.
    ---> : : : computer specs : : : <---
    :::heatware:::

Currently playing: World of Warcraft [Lightbringer Realm]

''Ah ha ha ha ha ha! Sixty seconds till midnight…sixty seconds to nowhere, baby! You have all become victims of the Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs… Hey! Pay Attention!"

update: 2/28/08

Sushi

Co-op RTS games.

This is a really old thread, but the question is a really valid one even years later. Since 1998 I've been playing RTS games cooperatively with my dad and uncle every week. This generally means playing skirmish against the AI. Games that we played and really liked for co-op:

Age of Empires I-III
    Empire Earth (the sequels were not as impressive)
    Empires: Dawn of the Modern World
    Rise of Nations (Rise of Legends was okay, but not our fav)
    Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance (for the best AI, use Sorian's AI mod, but it is a bit slow)
    Civilization IV

Of all of those, AoEIII and FA were probably our favorites. These are all wonderful games, and we got at least 6 months if not more like a year or more of play out of each. However, the ongoing frustration was that after we got to a certain level of skill, the AI was just no match for us. Plus, a lot of the more recent games don't allow multiplayer saves for some reason, which is a real problem for co-op (most of the earlier games, like AoE2 and Empire Earth, do have this feature). Other games like DoW and CoH were also interesting, but with fixed maps and a focus on individual unit management, that wasn't really to our playstyle and I was worried the games wouldn't have the sort of longevity we'd prefer.

Anyway, so there are a lot of good options up there on that list. To add one more to that, you might try out the cooperative-focused RTS game that I created myself: http://www.arcengames.com/ I got tired of waiting around for the bigger developers to focus more on cooperative play (the opposite trend seems to be present instead), so I created a game myself. The demo is free, and you can play with up to 8 players against 2 very challenging AIs (which you can tone down the difficulty on with ease). Hopefully you like it -- most people seem to so far, but it's early yet -- but otherwise give the list above a try. There are cooperative RTS games out there, but they are few and far between even now.

Wow, that was a serious gravedig! And you contributed to the thread before pimping your own site, which is admirable.

To add to the list - Red Alert 3 and Dawn of War 2 both feature co-op campaigns, with the former being a tranditional RTS and the latter being more like an RPG in the campaign.

Sushi
    Haha, yes, I guess this was a pretty old thread, wasn't it? I spent years googling for such threads to narrow down the list of RTS games to those which would be good to play next (every 6 months to 1 year, whenever we got tired of the current game). I kept expecting more co-op to appear, but not much did.

I wasn't aware of RA3 and DoW2 having that capability, so that's great to know. I may have already been coding on AI War by then, I don't know -- that game arose purely out of my frustration with the existing offerings. I was working on a different game called Alden Ridge at the time when it came to switch again, and when I couldn't find anything much via google, I decided to put Alden Ridge on hold and create my own RTS to fill the void for my dad and uncle and I. Hopefully other people also like it, but at the very least we are happy with it.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Are there any RTS games that the campaign can be played through coop?
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Sushi
    Apparently Dawn of War 2 can do this, and I think Starcraft 2 will be able to do this (someone else will have to confirm that). There might also be a couple of others, but mostly it's skirmish or nothing for RTS in co-op.

My game AI War is all about the co-op in campaigns, as well, but it's not a story-focused thing. It's more like a campaign in Star Wars: Empire At War or Risk or something, but 100% realtime. So I don't know which is going to be the better fit -- scripted scenarios offer a lot, especially on the first playthrough, and AI War is not that sort of game. On the other hand, AI War has some of the best AI around, and there's over 100 hours of content there, so that has some serious replay value that a scripted campaign might not. All depends on what you're looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    Are there any RTS games that the campaign can be played through coop?
    As I have stated, both Dawn of War 2 and Red Alert 3 have co-op campaigns. In DoW 2 its just that one player gets control of two squads and the other player gets the other two. With RA 3 each player gets their own base in which to smite the enemy. With RA3, if you play single player, the second player spot is taken by an AI.