How to copy an Animated Gif

Sharky Forums

Thread: How to copy an Animated Gif

Catfish

Question How to copy an Animated Gif

Okay it isn't to do with coding, but I thort that you clever people can help....

Okay if you have an animated GIF file on the internet (on http://www.curvaceous.com/ - the graph image that goes up and down) how do you copy that file EXACTLY so that you have it as a seperate file and still moves/animates??

and If u can do it easilly and have got spare minute or two PLEASE, help me to copy that graph image from http://www.curvaceous.com/ (green lined graph) and pm me, or just tell me how to do it, but I;'m guessing that I might need to purchase a copy of GIF editor or summat.

Free solutions are more welcome, LOL, cheers if you can help

Thanks
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+ w/ Akasa 3000+ heat sink/fan
    2 X 512 Mb Elexir PC3200 DDR SDRAM
    iCute V6 version Case
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 mb
    Asus A7N8X
    80Gb Hitachi HDD (7200 rpm)
    250Gb Seagate HDD (7200 rpm)
    120Gb Seattle? HDD (7200rpm)
    250Gb Samsung HDD (7200 rpm) - still not enough!
    16x DVD ROM
    52x24x CD RW
    8x DVD RW +/-
    550W PowerMaD PSU
    Temporary - Car Air conditioning unit from Ford Fiesta currently in my comp case for cooling

Old comp: Compaq presario 5000 Series

Animated gifs are self-contained files. I just right-clicked the animated image and chose Save Image As... and then dropped it on my desktop as 'batch.bat'. When I open it with ACDSee or IrfanView, it's animated just fine.

In some cases (old school, really) you may find some code behind the page flipping images, in which case you'd need to grab each one. But this is just a regular .gif file with animation.

If you can't do this for some reason, let me know and I can email it.

Open Source is free like a puppy is free.

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

Understanding Evolution

Catfish

Nice 1

I'm on a university network so I had a go but won't let me access the .bat file, so I'll have a go at home. But ACDSee or IrfanView, free software?? lol hopefully, and alsoif i can view it on these software, any chance for em to import them onto MS PowerPoint??

Cheers
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+ w/ Akasa 3000+ heat sink/fan
    2 X 512 Mb Elexir PC3200 DDR SDRAM
    iCute V6 version Case
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 mb
    Asus A7N8X
    80Gb Hitachi HDD (7200 rpm)
    250Gb Seagate HDD (7200 rpm)
    120Gb Seattle? HDD (7200rpm)
    250Gb Samsung HDD (7200 rpm) - still not enough!
    16x DVD ROM
    52x24x CD RW
    8x DVD RW +/-
    550W PowerMaD PSU
    Temporary - Car Air conditioning unit from Ford Fiesta currently in my comp case for cooling

Old comp: Compaq presario 5000 Series

every animated gif ive ever gotten was a simple right click and save as *.gif on my comp, openm it up and it runs fine.

a better question would be how would i go about shrinkinng an a nimated gif to fit as an avatar on forums.
    eVGA 680i A1
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4@3.1
    2x2 Patriot Extreme DDR2800
    Tuniq Tower 120
    120G WD
    120G Seagate
    160G Seagate
    160G Seagate
    eVGA 8800GTX (borrowing a friends)

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/badash666.png

I mean 'batch.gif' and not 'batch.bat' -- typo there. The filename on their page is 'batch.gif', so you should be able to grab it from any computer.

IfranView is free software: http://www.irfanview.com/

ACDSee costs a bit, and I have an older version. I like the page-up, page-down ease of navigation through directories of images.

nattylife, as for shrinking or otherwise modifying an animated gif, you need something like Ulead's GIF Animator. This software can take an existing gif and decompose it into the original set of static images. The you'd need to modify each one (resize in this case), and then rebuild the animated version from the modified static image set. Pretty straightforward, but could be a hassle depending on your patience, the size of the animation, and sometimes your artistic abilities.

Open Source is free like a puppy is free.

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

Understanding Evolution

BozoKiller
    to address some other questions the OP has;

These animated GIFs can be imported/pasted into any MS Office app usually - Once Inserted/Pasted into a Document - the Properties of the "Object" (which is what it's called, can be altered/edited).

I've actually made animated BirthDay cards for the younguns back awhile ago, using nothing more than silly MS's WorksSuite, Picture Gallery, PictureIt Express, and whtever else came along with that bundle. Certainly MS Office has all these features in it's apps.
    You may want to "Anchor" the GIF once inserted, thereby using MS's OLE, so it "stays" with the PP Presentation wherever you send it....be Aware that not everyone you send it to will neither WANT, nor be ABLE to view it as you make it (or want it to appear).
    Anybody can d/l the free PP Viewer for viewing though
    Last edited by I4one; 08-05-2005 at 10:20 AM.
    Delete the Electoral College - Support
    www.NationalPopularVote.com

"The world according to DRM Bozos"

I am a consumer, I'll buy anything
    I am a sheep, I am cattle, I follow the herd
    I am ignorant, a dumbass, and I am a bozo...
    I am the epitome of the 'rank and file'
    I am your next door neighbor
    I am 95% of American Consumers
    I will consume you

• If the light in your head hasn't come on yet,
      I suggest you go get a new bulb!