Just build first comp .. want to install windows

Sharky Forums

Thread: Just build first comp .. want to install windows

Expensive Sushi

Just build first comp .. want to install windows

Hey,
    I just finished building my first computer (except to put in the graphics card). I've hooked everything else up with the help of a friend and we've tried starting it up and it seems to work. The graphics card came today and I want to put that in myself. After I hook the graphics card / monitor / keyboard / mouse up .. etc.. how do I install windows?

I have a windows installation cd but I don't have the instruction manual. Do I just start the computer up and open the cd drive to put the disk in? Is there some step by step guide?

Thanks.

What version of Windows? If its XP or Win2Kpro, boot the computer from the CD drive first. This is done in your bios, so you will have to boot it, and manually change it to CD boot device first with the Winows cd in the drive. Try that first, and follow all the instruction.
    Post back.
    Asus G-51j Laptop Win 7 64
    HP DV6 Laptop Win 7 64

Expensive Sushi
    Thanks, I just read a guide on how to do that. Do I need to partition my drive or something like that?

Yes I usually partition into 2 equal drives.Use the NTFS file seystem also if its Win XP.
    Last edited by Jaybag; 08-31-2005 at 08:54 PM.
    Asus G-51j Laptop Win 7 64
    HP DV6 Laptop Win 7 64

Well which Windows is it?

You don't necessarily have to partition the drive, that's a personal choice really. But if you would like to back up any data you store it's recommended that you have at least 2 partitions.
    Please Help Save Ana!

Specs of my home-grown beauty:
    Case:CM WM | A64 3500+ (2.2 GHz) | Mobo:EPoX 9NPA + SLi nF4 | 250GB SATA | 1GB PC3200 | 1 Asus Optical Drive (DVD) | 6800GT | Logitech X-530 | MX518 | ViewSonic 19" VE902m | Windows XP Home SP2

Sharky's Extreme 3DMark Team

WoW syndrome WC3 affliction AA sickness

Hammerhead Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybag
    Yes I usually partition into 2 equal drives.Use the NTFS file seystem also if its Win XP.
    Partitioning is not NECESSARY, but is preferable for many. If you decide to use the entire HD, the system will automatically partition it for you. For a 40 GB HD, it will give you 38 GB on one and 2 on the other. You will have to install the OS on the3 GB. (You'll notice on newly bought systems from DELL or HP, the HD is never the full size in {My Computer}.. Also NTFS is only needed if you have a HD partition bigger than 20 GB.. Some might even say that NTFS is more secure than FAT 32.. Either way make sure if your using IDE the pins are set correctly, let it boot from the CD and follow the directions. You don't need a manual.. It is recommended that you upgrade to the full svc packs first before you update to the latest drivers.

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by kujoe2002
    Partitioning is not NECESSARY, but is preferable for many....
    And not so preferable for many. There are isntances where it can come in handy, like using one partition for your operating system and another for data files (MP3's, documents, etc.). That way, you can reformat & reinstall your OS without losing data you care about. But if that's not an issue for you, you might as well just use one big ol' partition so that you don't have to get a copy of Partition Magic down the road to resize a partition that you made too small!

If you decide to use the entire HD, the system will automatically partition it for you. For a 40 GB HD, it will give you 38 GB on one and 2 on the other. You will have to install the OS on the3 GB. (You'll notice on newly bought systems from DELL or HP, the HD is never the full size in {My Computer}...
    When Windows partitions a drive, some unallocated space is typically left over because Windows will leave a bit of space to allow converting a basic disk to a dynamic disk, as well as how the partition fits within the drive geometry. Windows doesn't automatically create multiple partitions, though. But if you create multiple partitions, you're free to install Windows NT/200x/XP on whichever one you choose.

Also NTFS is only needed if you have a HD partition bigger than 20 GB.. Some might even say that NTFS is more secure than FAT 32...
    Windows will let you format any drive up to 32 GB using FAT32, and the file system itself is actually capable of going a lot bigger than that. Microsoft intentionally limited their formatting utilities to that size because FAT32 requires a pretty large cluster size for large partitions, meaning a lot of space can be wasted in file system overhead.

But unless you're going to be dual-booting a system with an OS that doesn't recognize NTFS, there's no real reason not to use it. NTFS is more secure, more resistant to errors, and more efficient. Even if you don't use all its bells & whistles, there's a whole laundry list of improvements over FAT & FAT32 that make NTFS worth using: NTFS permissions, journaling, redundant master file tables, sparse files, smaller cluster size, file-level encryption and compression, software striping and spanning, mount points, etc.

Hammerhead Shark
    And not so preferable for many. There are isntances where it can come in handy, like using one partition for your operating system and another for data files (MP3's, documents, etc.). That way, you can reformat & reinstall your OS without losing data you care about. But if that's not an issue for you, you might as well just use one big ol' partition so that you don't have to get a copy of Partition Magic down the road to resize a partition that you made too small!

- That's also true, I've done that to my HD's.. I also used to have multiple OS's. XP, 2k and linux all setup in NTFS. But if the HD gets corrupted or infected w/a virus, you're screwed either way. Somehow with IE I ended getting 6 trojans and had to wipe the whole HD and couldnt save a damn thing . Needless to say it sucked bigtime.

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p